PDA

View Full Version : Tibia stress fracture down time?

joelh
10-31-2010, 05:06 PM
I started a bit of running in August and in mid-September hurt what I thought was my knee. After 6 weeks of little improvement, I had an MRI done last week. Orthopedist called and said I have a stress fracture in my tibia, just below my knee. Put me on crutches and will get more details when I go in later this week.

Anyone have any idea on the recovery time? This crutch thing is getting old after just 3 days.

Ozz
11-01-2010, 09:43 AM
How old are you? I was down for about 4 weeks when I was in college....then I had to come back very slowly...had to red-shirt and miss my whole Junior soccer season.

joelh
11-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Unfortunately, I am more than double college age. Hope that doesn't mean double the recovery time.

Jim Braley
11-01-2010, 03:48 PM
I would guess minimum 4-6 weeks and that means no running although doctor will likely let you do some stationary bike and cross training stuff as long as you are not putting pressure on tibia.

joelh
11-01-2010, 05:38 PM
I am hoping that they will let me ride. I have been riding for the last few weeks with no pain, except when really climbing. I don't take inactivity very well at all.

Ozz
11-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Unfortunately, I am more than double college age. Hope that doesn't mean double the recovery time.
you and me both! :beer:

Good luck and follow the docs instructions....I found it to be more annoying than debilitating...riding should be fine.

mo3039
11-02-2010, 10:08 AM
+1 for following docs instructions...just be sure you have a doc that "gets" your needs around fitness.

I had a stress fracture lower down the leg in high school, and kept trying to come back too early (way before six weeks), just prolonging the whole pain/lack of fitness spiral. If I had better advice I'm sure there was a way to keep more fitness but stay away from the running/weight bearing stuff that aggravated the injury. Good luck!