PDA

View Full Version : Campy wheel build ? Aerohead OC vs. Open Pro

learlove
10-31-2010, 01:35 PM
Hi guys,

I'm building a new set of wheels for my Dreesens. The hubs are/will be campy 10spd centaur 36 hole with 700x25 Vittoria Open Corsa tires. The current wheels on this bike (see pic) are Velocity Pro Elite Tubulars. I'd like to go a little less "aero/deep rim" for this pair, thus I'm trying to decide between Velocity Aerohead and Aerohead OC (rear) or Mavic Open Pros.

If I remember correctly some say the areohead OC type rim is better for the campy rear because of the dishing? I've always used open pros for my all around clinchers but never had anything but tubulars on my campy bikes. This will be my first campy clincher wheel.

I'd kind of like to use open pros because I've had experiences with them so far on my shim wheels but if you wheel builder pros out there think the aerohead OC is better for the campy hub then OK.

So any opinions/advice on a campy 10sp hub 36 hole with either aerohead oc (for rear) or open pros?

thanks

Peter P.
10-31-2010, 04:29 PM
If I remember correctly some say the areohead OC type rim is better for the campy rear because of the dishing?

You're definitely right about the dishing issue. For a stronger wheel, ignore the aesthetics and use the Aerohead O/C. I've built with them before and you can certainly feel the tension difference left/right on the rear. If you measure it with a tension meter and compare to a non-offset rim, the difference is night and day.

If longevity is what you seek, then get the Velocitys. Otherwise, the Open Pros are a fine rim.

gone
10-31-2010, 04:34 PM
I've built 4 sets of Campy clincher rims: 3 with Velocity OC's and one with Open Pro's. While I haven't had any problems with any of them (yet) I like the idea of the Velocity offset with Campy hubs and suspect that it'll prove more reliable in the long run.

I realize I probably didn't help much but I guess if there's a conclusion to be drawn from this (doubtful) it's that the OC's are certainly no worse than the OP's.

Hope this helps (but I doubt it) :D

AndrewS
10-31-2010, 04:40 PM
With 36 spokes I don't think it much matters. The current Mavic rims don't seem to be anyone's darling. If not the Aerohead and OCs, maybe the A23s or DT 465s?

learlove
10-31-2010, 06:03 PM
With 36 spokes I don't think it much matters. The current Mavic rims don't seem to be anyone's darling. If not the Aerohead and OCs, maybe the A23s or DT 465s?

do the dt'd come in 36h? I thought only 32 and down.

Ralph
10-31-2010, 06:22 PM
My daily wheels are 32 hole Centaur hubs and campy (Ambrosio) clincher rims. The Centaur hubs are nice and smooth. Hub finish is silver.

My better wheels on another bike use 32 Hole (black) Campy Record hubs and IRD (Kinlin) OC rear. These wheels have also been very reliable. The Record hubs are sure nice. Light also, slightly lighter than the Centaur. Got both sets of hubs dirt cheap from Ribble.

But nothing at all wrong with Centaur hubs. The sealed bearings are replaceable, but since I don't ride in rain, I expect them to last 5-10 years before needing attention.

I just wish Record hubs came in drillings less than 32, then in MHO there would be no need to ever consider another hub brand.

AndrewS
10-31-2010, 08:53 PM
do the dt'd come in 36h? I thought only 32 and down.
I guess they don't. DT's site says 32 only, but I found 28s as well, but no 36. Pardon.

sherok
11-01-2010, 04:35 AM
I just went throught this same agonizing decision and went with the Aerohead Front and the Aerohead O/C rear with White Industries hubs. The wheels are really beautiful. I have Campy Chorus 11sp. Rich Lesnik at Hands on Wheels built my wheels.

Now here is something to consider when making your decision. I learned that the Aeroheads are better for smaller riders. If you weigh more than 175 or are considering putting any type of weight on your bike that would bring you over 175 than the Open Pros would be a better choice.

Additionally, White Industries Hubs are really nice.

Hope this helps.

oldpotatoe
11-01-2010, 06:21 AM
Hi guys,

I'm building a new set of wheels for my Dreesens. The hubs are/will be campy 10spd centaur 36 hole with 700x25 Vittoria Open Corsa tires. The current wheels on this bike (see pic) are Velocity Pro Elite Tubulars. I'd like to go a little less "aero/deep rim" for this pair, thus I'm trying to decide between Velocity Aerohead and Aerohead OC (rear) or Mavic Open Pros.

If I remember correctly some say the areohead OC type rim is better for the campy rear because of the dishing? I've always used open pros for my all around clinchers but never had anything but tubulars on my campy bikes. This will be my first campy clincher wheel.

I'd kind of like to use open pros because I've had experiences with them so far on my shim wheels but if you wheel builder pros out there think the aerohead OC is better for the campy hub then OK.

So any opinions/advice on a campy 10sp hub 36 hole with either aerohead oc (for rear) or open pros?

thanks

I'd use the Aeroheads but the 'dish' issue is really a non issue. I have built hundreds of rear wheels with non OC rims on Campagnolo hubs w/o any problem or issue. BUT much better than Mavic OpenPro. I would consider CXP-33 tho, none of the issues of OpenPross.