PDA

View Full Version : OT: Yakima skybox...anyone using/opinions??

Kingfisher
10-31-2010, 10:20 AM
We just got another dog last wk (now two golden retrievers) and when we go on vacation, packing will be rather tight with the two large dogs in a honda pilot. Thinking of getting a yakima skybox for up top to use for storage. Anyone have one and tell me if they make a difference in storage??

dave thompson
10-31-2010, 11:08 AM
A big difference! Cargo boxes are perfect for carrying soft stuff, bags, luggage, etc., that take up a lot of room. In our 'bike' van we can carry 3 people, their bikes and enough gear for a week with our box on top. It's much easier to be inside of a car that's not packed to the gills and you can't move around.

You will lose some MPG and have some increase in wind noise and make sure you know you overall vehicle height when you go into parking garages and drive-throughs.

cuwinbs
10-31-2010, 12:14 PM
ive looked at them for our navigator only thing holding me back is storing it when not in use.ive seen some great deals on CL.

yakstone
10-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Storing is easy; rig up a couple of pulleys in your garage and up it goes. Of course you need a garage to ba able to do this. Doesn't work so well if you only have a "parking space".

cp43
10-31-2010, 12:55 PM
I have a Yakima RocketBox. I bought it to fit more stuff in the car when driving cross country a couple years ago. It's great for a that little bit more room, and for putting skis in during the winter. When it's not on my car it lives hanging from the ceiling in the back of the garage, not in the way. I'd say go for it, but don't limit yourself to looking at Yakima, Thule also makes some really nice stuff, and most Thule stuff will fit Yakima bars, and Yakima stuff on Thule bars.

Chris

djg21
10-31-2010, 12:56 PM
We just got another dog last wk (now two golden retrievers) and when we go on vacation, packing will be rather tight with the two large dogs in a honda pilot. Thinking of getting a yakima skybox for up top to use for storage. Anyone have one and tell me if they make a difference in storage??

I've used a rocketbox/space booster for few years in the winter for ski equipment, and when travelling with my two Goldens. They work great, but you will see a significant drop in mileage. As I opted to replace my car with an SUV, the rocket box is listed on the classified section,http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=80538

Ozz
10-31-2010, 04:26 PM
I have cargo box for my Pilot (Thule)....two boys take up as much room as two dogs.

dave thompson
10-31-2010, 04:35 PM
I have cargo box for my Pilot (Thule)....two boys take up as much room as two dogs.
You transport you kids in the box? :D

AngryScientist
10-31-2010, 04:54 PM
a buddy has one that is very helpful for getting junk out of the interior of the car.

also, i love dogs, how about a few pics of the beasts.

Ozz
11-01-2010, 09:40 AM
You transport you kids in the box? :D
it does make for a much more enjoyable drive.... ;)

William
11-01-2010, 11:46 AM
My Rack/cargo carrier is not a commercial unit. That being said it's been great for allowing a less cluttered interior (more comfort) for long trips. Plus the obvious increased cargo capacity.

William

IFRider
11-01-2010, 12:24 PM
works out great. Gas mileage is minimally impacted as it is pretty clean aero wise. I don't notice a difference on my standard trip to visit the family with it on or off.

Carry's a lot of stuff, but I mostly put the soft luggage and lighter stuff up there. Heavy stuff in the back of the pilot.

Easy to lift on vehicle by myself although a little cumberson. It is nice as things are secure and out of view from prying eyes.

veloduffer
11-01-2010, 12:25 PM
I've looked at these myself but have a quick question, are they waterproof?

cp43
11-01-2010, 03:20 PM
I've looked at these myself but have a quick question, are they waterproof?

Not in the sense that if you dropped it in a lake it would keep things dry. But, yes in the sense that if you have it on the roof of your car in the rain the stuff inside will stay dry. At least that's been my experience, I'm not sure that I've driven through really heavy rain with mine.

Chris

IFRider
11-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Not in the sense that if you dropped it in a lake it would keep things dry. But, yes in the sense that if you have it on the roof of your car in the rain the stuff inside will stay dry. At least that's been my experience, I'm not sure that I've driven through really heavy rain with mine.

Chris

And have had everything stay bone dry. I no longer take vacation on the Cape in September :crap: so I don't anticipate doing that again.

Warren

csm
11-01-2010, 05:46 PM
I have a rocket box.... great for ski trips in the winter. cram all that stuff up there and no road salt on the boards.
I've also used it to haul wet waders around during fishing season.
and wet camping gear.

Ozz
11-01-2010, 08:45 PM
I have the Thule Spirit (16 cu ft), and what is really nice is the attachment mechanism. It is all self contained...just set the box on the bars and turn some knobs and you are ready to go. It takes my wife and me less than 2 mins to get it down from garage ceiling storage, onto the roof and tightened up and ready to go.

rwsaunders
11-01-2010, 09:15 PM
We've had a RocketBox and the integrated Yakima system for about 15 years. We use the box about 2-3 times a year on longer family trips and it's amazing what can be carried in the unit. It's pretty simple to mount and we've experienced no leakage issues through some heavy storms.

pdmtong
11-01-2010, 09:17 PM
you can also get a spare bar and mount it to the wall for you to hook/hang the box veritcally in your garage if you have a free wall.

these things are meant to carry bulk more than weight. for instance, no ice chests up top. but boards, clothes bags perfect.

I got he 16s...mainly becasue that is the size I could move between a small SUV/car andmy suburban. the bigger boxes are just that - bigger but are really targeted at folks withht more bulky suff...like families with sleeping bags. since the length of any size is more than enough for skis or snowbaoirds, the extra in the 18 and 21's doesnt make sense unless you just have more bags.

usual caveat...dont drive into a grage with it on.

Mark McM
11-02-2010, 08:02 AM
I've got a Yakima rack on my Mazda 3 5-door hatchback and I've been considering getting a Rocketbox 11 cargo box, but I'm concerned about the rear overhang of the Rocketbox interferring with opening the rear hatch. Is anyone else using a Rocketbox (or similar cargo box) on a hatchback, and does it prevent opening the hatchback all the way?

rwsaunders
11-02-2010, 08:46 AM
I've got a Yakima rack on my Mazda 3 5-door hatchback and I've been considering getting a Rocketbox 11 cargo box, but I'm concerned about the rear overhang of the Rocketbox interferring with opening the rear hatch. Is anyone else using a Rocketbox (or similar cargo box) on a hatchback, and does it prevent opening the hatchback all the way?

I have this issue with a Honda Odyssey too, due the length of the box, as well as the placement of the forward crossbars. Just carry an old towel to place between the box and the spoiler when you need to open the hatch. Otherwise, you'll need a shorter box, which is what I would have done if the unit were mounted full-time.