PDA

View Full Version : Down Jackets

93legendti
10-31-2010, 08:22 AM
I just bought my first new down jacket in a long time-an L.L. Bean for $69.
The last 10 years I had been using primaloft jackets, wool and 3 in 1 shell/liner jackets.
I thought it might be too good to be true, but this jacket seems toasty, well built and worth it at 2 x the price.
Welcome back down.

beungood
10-31-2010, 08:56 AM
Ive been eyeing one of those too!

93legendti
10-31-2010, 10:07 AM
Ive been eyeing one of those too!
You won't be sorry

AndrewS
10-31-2010, 10:27 AM
Good price from a company that backs up its stuff. Free shipping, too.

CNY rider
10-31-2010, 11:09 AM
Last year my wife got me a modular Columbia ski jacket. It has a waterproof shell and a zip-out down coat that goes inside. I love that zip out down jacket, more than I thought I would. Very light, super warm and comfortable.

jmoore
10-31-2010, 11:48 AM
I have a Polo Sport down jacket and that thing is super warm. It's not even lined and it's great. I live in TX so I get to wear it maybe 2 weeks a year. LL Bean makes good stuff so I can imagine that jacket will be great. $69 is a good deal on a quality jacket.

Peter B
10-31-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm sure the L.L. Bean $69 jacket is nice, functional and well-supported. But we're talkin' the Trek/Specialized/Fuji of down jackets here.

C'mon guys this is a high-end (bicycle) forum. Where's the love for Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends or the custom stuff from Nunatak or PHDesigns?? These folks make outstanding gear that will quell your inner weight weenie and warm your heart. How about a jacket good to 23*F that weighs only 8 oz? Headed for the Vinson Massif? PHD will make you one that'll have you cozy at -67*F. This isn't 'noodling around the park on a Sunday' gear, no, this is the stuff that takes the pros to the top of the world!

:fight:

spartacus
10-31-2010, 12:49 PM
Patagonia anyone? Pricey, but they definitely stand by their products.

spartacus
10-31-2010, 12:51 PM
I like the location of Nunatak - Twisp, a great sounding place name.

yakstone
10-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Peter B is right on the money, plus supporting made in USA makes Feathered Friends etc, even more appealing.

ninjaman
10-31-2010, 01:21 PM
Eastern Mountain Sports has some great down options, prices are excellent too!

bike22
10-31-2010, 04:31 PM
The western mountaineering down jacket with the stretchy hood is absolutely heavenly.

spartacus
11-01-2010, 04:11 AM
Isn't it all Hungarian goose down?

Climb01742
11-01-2010, 04:29 AM
How about a jacket good to 23*F that weighs only 8 oz?

peter, which of the companies you mentioned makes such a jacket? intrigued. thanks!

Peter B
11-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Climb-O:

PHD Ultra Pullover. (http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cat=110&products_id=240) Designed for the ultralight backpacking folks.

The Minimus (http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cat=110&products_id=110) gets you there too for a slight weight penalty but in a conventional jacket at lower cost.

If you go that route, also check the Western Mountaineering Flash (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Down%20Garments&cat=Jackets%20and%20Vests&ContentId=55), another excellent lightweight down jacket.

christian
11-01-2010, 08:28 AM
I wear a WM Flight.

93legendti
11-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Lightweight is great, but:

*A certain amount of durability is given up in order to manufacture a garment this light. The fabric we use in our Flight Series jackets and vests is extremely light and does not have the tear strength or abrasion resistance as other fabrics.
I'd rather spend the extra $170 on better wheels, I mean boots. :)

jmeloy
11-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Bought a fairly light weight NF going on 3 years ago and shocked as to how warm it is. Wears tough as well.

Peter B
11-01-2010, 12:26 PM
<snip> Lightweight is great, but:

Fast, light or strong. Pick two.

Peter B
11-01-2010, 12:26 PM

AndrewS
11-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Climb-O:

PHD Ultra Pullover. (http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cat=110&products_id=240) Designed for the ultralight backpacking folks.

The Minimus (http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cat=110&products_id=110) gets you there too for a slight weight penalty but in a conventional jacket at lower cost.

If you go that route, also check the Western Mountaineering Flash (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Down%20Garments&cat=Jackets%20and%20Vests&ContentId=55), another excellent lightweight down jacket.
This Bean number seems like a similar product to the Minimus in terms of weight and temp range. A bit cheaper.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/60857?feat=51590-ppxs&dds=y

tkbike
11-01-2010, 06:56 PM
I just picked up last years model at EMS for $39, I have had more expensive ones in the past but have found they rip and tear just as easy as the EMS brand. If you spend a lot of time winter hiking/climbing and camping they are going to be subjected to a lot of abuse. Punctures and tears from trees and rocks are common as well as those crampon punctures while in the pack. I have always looked at it the same as bike equipment, are a couple of ounces going to make a difference if you are carrying a tent, bag, snowshoes, crampons and the rest of your gear?

93legendti
11-02-2010, 05:51 PM
I just picked up last years model at EMS for $39, I have had more expensive ones in the past but have found they rip and tear just as easy as the EMS brand. If you spend a lot of time winter hiking/climbing and camping they are going to be subjected to a lot of abuse. Punctures and tears from trees and rocks are common as well as those crampon punctures while in the pack. I have always looked at it the same as bike equipment, are a couple of ounces going to make a difference if you are carrying a tent, bag, snowshoes, crampons and the rest of your gear?
My wife bought me an EMS 3 in 1 with gore tex shell and prima loft insulation 7 years ago. I wore it that winter-even with only a t-shirt on underneath and the heater off, it was too warm to wear in my car during a Michigan winter.
EMS makes serious jackets.

soulspinner
11-03-2010, 06:55 AM
Last year my wife got me a modular Columbia ski jacket. It has a waterproof shell and a zip-out down coat that goes inside. I love that zip out down jacket, more than I thought I would. Very light, super warm and comfortable.

+1- cant believe a jacket so slim is so warm...........

93legendti
11-27-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm sure the L.L. Bean $69 jacket is nice, functional and well-supported. But we're talkin' the Trek/Specialized/Fuji of down jackets here.

C'mon guys this is a high-end (bicycle) forum. Where's the love for Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends or the custom stuff from Nunatak or PHDesigns?? These folks make outstanding gear that will quell your inner weight weenie and warm your heart. How about a jacket good to 23*F that weighs only 8 oz? Headed for the Vinson Massif? PHD will make you one that'll have you cozy at -67*F. This isn't 'noodling around the park on a Sunday' gear, no, this is the stuff that takes the pros to the top of the world!

:fight:
Yesterday I picked up an Eddie Bauer 850 fill down sweater at 40% off-$102. Must be around 11-12 oz. (I can send the LL Bean back.) Freakin' warm, even with only a t-shirt on.