PDA

View Full Version : Synvisc Injections?

RABikes2
04-27-2005, 06:45 AM
Have any of you, or have you known anybody, that has had Synvisc Injections in their knees? And if you have, what results have you received from them?

Due to osteoarthritis in both my knees, the Docs think these injections are worth a try. I've been told to continue cycling as inactivity would be worse on them (which I've experienced and known for a long time.) I've ordered the meds and will be scheduling the appointments. A total of three injections in both knees, each shot given a week apart, three weeks in a row.

I've googled Synvisc, but I'd appreciate my forum friends input.
Yeah? or Nay? Reports? or Opinions?

Thanks!
RA

fiddlels
04-27-2005, 09:07 AM
I have had Synvisc injections done in my right knee last August and this April. I am primarily a tennis player but I also bike for recreation. The more activity I do, the more pain I experience in the knee. I was happy with the results of the first round. My mobility was improved and I had less pain. I played several singles tournaments over the following months. On my last round of injections I had more swelling and fluid buildup in the knee then the first time. It is important to reduce activity for a few days after the injection to keep the swelling down. You start to see results about a month after the first injection. It is a costly procedure for the uninsured, as the medicine is over $500! It is normally done once a year, but can be done twice as I have had. I plan to continue to do the procedure to allow me to do the sports activities I love!

ChamUK
04-27-2005, 09:14 AM
For pain Glucosomine is about as good as placebo, however
it's been shown to slow down the destruction of Osteo...
It may be worth your while.
Costco, and BJ's seem to stock them at good prices.

jeffhall
04-27-2005, 10:24 AM
I have knee "issues" form Tae Kwon Do that cause some trouble when riding. I had surgery last fall to clean up the knee and trim the torn cartilige. I still need my ACL repaired (totally gone) but need to keep the knees good.

Would this help? What are your issues?

spiderman
04-27-2005, 12:34 PM
i've had a few patients receive some benefit with synvisc...
...it does seem to delay the inevitable...
...tka (total knee arthroplasty)...
if you're not taking glucosamine/chondroitin
you should: this could be potentially
disease modifying in conjunction with your synvisc...
it seems that i can get people symptomatic relief
with periodic steroid injections,
but this would delay the possiblity of getting
your synvisc series.

gasman
04-27-2005, 06:21 PM
RA-
You should try glucosamine/chondroitin like spidey says. The studies I have seen on synvisc are pretty mixed,the good studies show that a few people get some relief but most people don't respond for any period ie. more than a couple months. It is safe and most likely won't do any harm.

Kevin
04-27-2005, 06:36 PM
RA-
You should try glucosamine/chondroitin like spidey says. The studies I have seen on synvisc are pretty mixed,the good studies show that a few people get some relief but most people don't respond for any period ie. more than a couple months. It is safe and most likely won't do any harm.

Glucosamine/chondroitin works for me.

Kevin

JohnS
04-27-2005, 08:36 PM
What Kevin said!

RABikes2
04-27-2005, 11:21 PM
Yes, I do Glucosamine/chondroitin. I take one packet of the product Emer'gen-C w/ 500mg Glucosamine & 400mg Chondroitin in my water bottle daily (sometimes I do a packet in both water bottles).

I also take Glyco-Flex II - For Humans (from Vetri-Science Laboratories of Vermont). It's a dietary supplement to support proper joint and connective tissue functions. I take two, every other day, which contain (in dosage of two) Manganese 10mg, Perna canaliculus (green-lipped mussel) 1000mg, Glucosamine Sulfate 600mg, and Methylsulfonylmethane 400mg.

I had two left knee surgeries (I believe it was '98 and '01); the first was to repair a tear in the MM and the second was for a lateral release and to clean under the knee cap (according to recent MRI's, under both knee caps doesn't look good). Walking for any distance is very uncomfortable and I don't do any activity that requires me to do quick lateral movements or squatting. I like going in a forward line.

There is still an injury in there that I wouldn't let them repair on the last surgery. I've worn a hole in what is left of the MM (shows on the MRI's and the surgery Doc took a photo of it). I didn't want it fixed due to recovery was too long (I'm self-employed and couldn't be off my leg for weeks, I do in-home/in-business care; they operate on a Friday and back to work the next Friday). Also, more importantly, the surgery Doc was way too iffy on whether the surgery would even take or not (this was almost four years ago). I've had recent MRI's and X-rays on both knees. MRI's showed quite a bit (too much to write) and the X-rays showed extensive osteoarthritis in both. I don't want any more surgeries and I'm not into cortisone at all. I'm just looking for other ways to deal with this and keep on going. Cycling, stretching, and adjustments keep me moving and when I'm not on my bike for a few days, they bother me more due to the lack of movement.

I've been going to the same ortho Doc for years and decided to get a second opinion. I switched to a new ortho Doc (same clinic, the town is small, but a "newer" Doc, and an athlete) and he's the one that has suggested we try the Synvisc Injections.

What I'd really like to try is a treatment by an arthritis doctor in Miami at the Center for Regenerative Medicine. http://www.arthritisusa.net I have a client that flies his company plane to Miami every week and has offered a free ride, but my insurance company won't hear of it. It is quite expensive to have a treatment, but I've got two ultra distance friends who have benefited greatly from just one treatment.

I do appreciate the input.

RA

BumbleBeeDave
04-28-2005, 06:32 AM
<<Perna canaliculus (green-lipped mussel)>> . . . ???

What is this? Never heard of it . . .

RA, I have even more admiration for you now that I know exactly what you’re going through to do all that cycling. Has anyone told you that you’re crazy?--In a nice way, of course! ;)

BBDave

hypnospin
04-28-2005, 09:21 AM
a riding buddy had this, within 2 mo.s he was spanking guys 15 yr.s younger on 2000 ft climbs.

as my my knee travails, i had swelling from fluid, dr.s wanted to do scope operation to check it out as i had clean mri. but last ditch option was to drain and 30 cc's later swelling was down. one injection of cortisone.
this was a good dr. willing to go non invasive as possible prior to any surgery...
some will skip this step.
oh yeah, good since.

Have any of you, or have you known anybody, that has had Synvisc Injections in their knees? And if you have, what results have you received from them?

Due to osteoarthritis in both my knees, the Docs think these injections are worth a try. I've been told to continue cycling as inactivity would be worse on them (which I've experienced and known for a long time.) I've ordered the meds and will be scheduling the appointments. A total of three injections in both knees, each shot given a week apart, three weeks in a row.

I've googled Synvisc, but I'd appreciate my forum friends input.
Yeah? or Nay? Reports? or Opinions?

Thanks!
RA

Tom
04-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Does anybody else have this happen? You get cravings for certain foods: hot peppers, seafood or whatever and then later on you read something that says that particular food is good for something that ails you?

RABikes2
04-28-2005, 10:42 AM
You can google "Green lipped Mussel", for more reading, but here are two explanations of what it claims to provide. I purchase "Glyco-Flex II-For Humans" from a client who is a veterinarian. The veterinarian version is used on dogs and other animals with arthritis and joint problems.
Perna canaliculus (Green Lipped Mussel)
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

Perna canaliculus, or green-lipped mussel, is an edible shellfish found off the shores of New Zealand. It has been commercially available as a food supplement in the United States since 1975. Perna mussel, was for centuries, a major part of the diet in local populations of New Zealand. The reported incidence of arthritic and rheumatic disorders was extremely low among coastal New Zealanders compared to those living inland.

In the 1960s, researchers from Britain and the United States began a search for marine organisms in an attempt to isolate possible natural drugs for the treatment of cancer. The New Zealand Fishing Industry Board provided Perna mussels for the study. The green-lipped mussel was tested on human cancer patients, but to no avail. However, patients who were also suffering from arthritis reported less pain, joint stiffness, and improved mobility. Later, two human clinical studies using Perna mussel showed improvements in people with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.

Perna mussels are produced under government license and to government standards. Mature mussels are collected and chilled to below 40ºC within two to four hours. The soft tissue is separated from the shell, washed several times, frozen, and freeze-dried. It is then processed into a fine powder and added to products.

Perna contains a natural mineral balance similar to that of the human. It is made up of 61% protein, 13% carbohydrates, 12% glycosaminoglycans (GAGs), 5% lipids (including eicosatetraenoic acids, or ETAs), 5% minerals, and 4% water. Perna mussel also contains glucosamine, a GAG precursor and one of the building blocks of cartilage. Glucosamine, GAGs (unbranched chains of complex sugars) and ETAs (a type of Omega-3 fatty acids) are the compounds in the mussel believed to contribute to its beneficial effects. ETAs are the key ingredients that help in the anti-inflammatory activity and thereby the reduction of joint pain. GAGs are the main components of cartilage and the synovial fluid found in joints.

GAGs increase the lubrication of the joint and increase water uptake into the cartilage. This water uptake, which decreases with age, is necessary for the lubrication and shock absorption of the joints. There are nine classes of GAGs, five of which are related to connective tissue. Two of these five are chondroitins, which make up the basic substance of both bone and cartilage. GAGs provide flexibility, elasticity, and strength to cartilage.

Published reports are consistent in their findings that Perna mussel produces an anti-inflammatory response. A Clemson University study found that Perna was effective in reducing the onset of rheumatoid arthritis as well as reversing it in mice and rats. Out of eighteen test animals with arthritis that were fed Perna mussel, only three developed arthritis compared to 10 out of 15 in the control group. Another study found that the green-lipped mussel was effective in reducing pain, swelling, and stiffness in 60 human patients with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. A French study using 53 patients suffering from osteoarthritis in the knee reported that the Perna extract was "well tolerated by the participants with no adverse conditions reported."

Ongoing research in both humans and animals continue to show that the use of green-lipped mussel is, when used as directed, an effective supplement for the management of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Perna mussel has been successful in managing degenerative joint diseases and arthritis in both human and veterinary health fields: it contains natural anti-inflammatory agents and many essential building blocks needed to rebuild the necessary components in joints. It also is reported to reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation associated with arthritis and improve joint mobility.
Green Lipped Mussel (Perna Canaliculus)

Supplement Green Lipped Mussel (Perna Canaliculus)

Description Green lipped mussel is sold as Seatone and Lyprinol – both of which are powdered forms of the mussel flesh (Seatone highlights its glycogen content, while Lyprinol highlights its lipid content). As a dietary supplement, green lipped mussel can be considered a source of chondroitin and other glycosaminoglycans (as can sea cucumber and shark cartilage). The majority of green lipped mussel comes from Australia or New Zealand. You’ll know whether your supplement contains the right ingredient by its fishy smell.

Claims
Relieves joint pain and stiffness (from arthritis)
Reduces inflammation
Enhances post-exercise and injury recovery

Theory
Because green lipped mussel contains a wide variety of glycosaminoglycans, it has been recommended as a natural therapy for maintaining and rebuilding connective tissues such as cartilage, tendons and ligaments as well as for its anti-inflammatory properties.

Scientific Support
The anti-inflammatory effects of green lipped mussel have been demonstrated in experimental animal models (usually mice with induced paw swelling). In these studies, green lipped mussel appears to be effective in delaying/preventing inflammation (so mice with swollen feet should definitely take this supplement). The presence of anti-inflammatory fatty acids may provide and additive effect on controlling prostaglandin synthesis (potentially with pain-relieving effects). At least a few studies have shown an improvement of arthritic symptoms in dogs supplemented with 1-3 grams of green lipped mussel per day for 2-4 months (so dogs with stiff legs and hips are prime candidates for this supplement). Unfortunately, the scientific evidence for a beneficial effect in humans is quite weak. A couple of small studies conducted in the 1980’s suggested that green lipped mussel may be effective in relieving the joint pain and stiffness associated with arthritis (similar to effects seen for glucosamine and chondroitin), but follow-up studies found no beneficial effects.

Safety
No serious side effects are known, although those individuals allergic to shellfish should be especially cautious and avoid using supplements containing Green Lipped Mussel extract.

RABikes2
04-28-2005, 10:45 AM
a riding buddy had this, within 2 mo.s he was spanking guys 15 yr.s younger on 2000 ft climbs.

Oh boy, oh boy...just think, if these injections work, I could be "spanking" ;) guys 15 yrs. younger than me REALLLLLLL soon! NOW that is something to look forward to! :D

(Use your imagination BBDave, read into it any way you like! :p :p )

slowgoing
04-28-2005, 10:52 AM
Sounds like you need to start a raffle to raise funds for the injections. Winning ticket gets a spanking.

BumbleBeeDave
04-28-2005, 01:21 PM
. . . but I will skip the almost irrestistible temptation for humor. RA has already gotten in enough trouble for some of her quotes . . . :rolleyes: ;)

BBDave

gasman
04-28-2005, 01:23 PM
RA-Sorry you are going through so much.
Synvisc-yes
Miami- uh , well seems like an expensive trial for something that has not been studied in peer reviewed journals. I asked several ortho docs and none of them have heard of it either.
When they don't say what "natural medicine" is injected and then obfuscate by saying they use a "cold" laser when really all it would be is a weak laser I have to wonder.
Of course some people wonder about me.
Good luck

flydhest
04-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Does anybody else have this happen? You get cravings for certain foods: hot peppers, seafood or whatever and then later on you read something that says that particular food is good for something that ails you?

like a plate of shrimp? or watching cult movies with Emilio Estevez?

M_A_Martin
04-28-2005, 02:09 PM
;)

Ozz
04-28-2005, 02:34 PM
like a plate of shrimp? or watching cult movies with Emilio Estevez?

Classic stuff....

A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

A repo man spends his life getting into tense situations.

The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.

RABikes2
04-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Miami-When they don't say what "natural medicine" is injected and then obfuscate by saying they use a "cold" laser when really all it would be is a weak laser I have to wonder.

Thank you for asking your ortho Docs about the treatment at the Miami clinic, gasman. Not knowing what the mystery "natural medicine" is has bothered me, too. (Why the secrecy?) I do admit that their claims of "healing" with the (mystery) shots and cold laser do sound too good to be true. As I said earlier, "I'm just looking for other ways to deal with this and keep on going."

Synvisc is next...I hope to have the treatments completed by the end of May.

I've also had acupuncture on my knees over the years. I'd like to keep that up as part of my maintenance, but it definitely put a big "ouch" on my budget. My insurance company states that acupuncture is "experimental" and won't consider paying for a few, occasional treatments. But they'd be glad to pay for another bezillion $$ knee surgery. Go figure. :confused:

BBDave...I still think my "quote" (and you know WHICH one) was a great line for Ben and company to use in selling a Legend/Serotta. :p :D