PDA

View Full Version : Bruyneel placed on double secret probation

Elefantino
10-29-2010, 10:09 PM
This (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bruyneel-suspended-for-two-months-over-wrong-jerseys-at-tour-de-france) is just plain petty.

Polyglot
10-30-2010, 03:21 AM
This (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bruyneel-suspended-for-two-months-over-wrong-jerseys-at-tour-de-france) is just plain petty.

How so petty? They break the well established rules without consultation of the officials and then insult the organization for doing their job. It is not as if the rule of the official jerseys was unknown or that other offenders have gotten off in the past. Look at how many times Cipollini got fined. At least in Cipollini's case it was one single person's action and not an orchestrated action by the team management (at least that is the story officially). Had the jerseys to commemorate the 28 million cancer sufferers been so important to Radio Shack, they could have declared them as their official jersey right off the bar. They could also have asked for an exemption from the rule for the one day (not that it would likely have been granted). Besides, the Tour has a pecking order with regards "special" jerseys, with riders "earning" their right to stand out in the fray. I found the move asinine and a pitiful attempt to get attention that the team was not able to "earn" through their actions. I bet they could have gotten away with it at the beginning of the race or in a transition day, but to do it unannounced on the last day was asking for it. It was a petty attempt to devalue the achievements of those who had earned the other jerseys.

BdaGhisallo
10-30-2010, 05:19 AM
I wonder if they had permission to use the USPS Centenary jerseys that USPS wore on the final stage of the 2003 TdF. Or were the organizers still in thrall with Lance and Co at that point that they turned a blind eye?

Does seem mighty petty. Sure, slap him with a fine but a suspension?

And there was no way that Cipo was alone in his special jersey machinations back in the mid and late 90s. He certainly didn't make his jerseys and bibs in his bedroom at night when no one was looking. Those efforts certainly involved his management and his clothing sponsors/manufacturers.

e-RICHIE
10-30-2010, 07:37 AM
At least in Cipollini's case it was one single person's action <cut>
And there was no way that Cipo <cut>

in the cipo example, he was a lone rider who wasn't leading a competition.
his was a look-at-me ploy for sure and he was prepared to pay the fine.
RS was leading the team gc going into paris.
apples/oranges atmo.

Lifelover
10-30-2010, 09:41 AM
The main difference that I see between Cipo and Radio Shack doing it is that one was completely self serving and the other for a good cause (at least on the surface).

I suspect JB can afford the fine and it will be covered by Lance, the team or Livestrong.

Does the restriction really matter that time of year? I assume it only limits him for participated at races, not training?

All in all seems like a reasonable punishment for all.

Seott-e
10-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Petty and overkill !

draper
10-30-2010, 10:27 AM
pretty inexpensive advertising and brand placement.

BumbleBeeDave
10-30-2010, 11:13 AM
The main difference that I see between Cipo and Radio Shack doing it is that one was completely self serving and the other for a good cause (at least on the surface).

I suspect JB can afford the fine and it will be covered by Lance, the team or Livestrong.

Does the restriction really matter that time of year? I assume it only limits him for participated at races, not training?

All in all seems like a reasonable punishment for all.

If you mean cancer research then yes. But this ploy wasn't just that--at least to me.

Before the tour when everybody who would benefit from such attention expected Lance to do well it would have been enough to get the positive publicity from him just doing well. THAT would be the story--he's doing well.

But as the Tour progressed it was clear he was NOT going to do well. The positive publicity and adoration he could have used to push his cancer message whenever he was interviewed were clearly not going to happen.

So what else could they do to still get publicity? Come up with a trick like this. The commissaires made it clear the day it happened that if they had simply been asked, then it IS a good cause and yes, something could have been worked out.

But this just reeked too much of "I'm LANCE and I can do whatever I want."

He's the guy who parks his Mercedes in the handicapped spot because, well, he's special and the rules don't apply to him. Looks like increasingly that's the same attitude Bruyneel has.

Bruyneel and Lance knew the rules and concocted a premeditated violation. They were shut down and told not to do it again. But they DID do it again--later the same day! Bruyneel is the manager and officially responsible for team conduct.

BBD

FlashUNC
10-30-2010, 11:18 AM
If the cancer reasearch motif was that important, why not incorporate that into the team kit for the entire year?

It was a cheap publicity stunt. He's getting suspended for the least important part of the season. I'm sure he and the team will be fine.

Charles M
10-30-2010, 11:38 AM
apples/oranges atmo.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/giro04/stage7/9.jpg

That pink thing makes this both an apple and an orange...

How so petty? They break the well established rules

Sure it's a rule.

And yes it's well established that when you break it, petty crap like this doesnt happen...

But this just reeked too much of "I'm LANCE and I can do whatever I want."

I almost though you would make it out of this without turning it into a Lance hate post. :D

e-RICHIE
10-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Sure it's a rule.

And yes it's well established that when you break it, petty crap like this doesnt happen...

when have we had an example of a GC leader doing this atmo?
being a GC leader and breaking rank isn't the same as a sprinter wearing what he wants in a time trial or similar.

craptacular
10-30-2010, 01:08 PM
To me this reeks of a political tool to show how the TDF officials crack down on everything. Similiar to the senators jumping on the MLB doping bandwagon. Another example of people constantly trying to take down any one who is on the top. Do I think Lance is clean? Not even a little bit. But I can say with 100% confidence, that there is not one rider in the TDF that finishes near the front, that is clean. How about we focus more on that, than what color kits teams are wearing for a glorified ride through the streets of Paris on the last stage.

BdaGhisallo
10-30-2010, 01:16 PM
apples/oranges atmo.

Actually, in about '95 or '96, Cipo pioneered the whole idea of wearing special shorts to match a leaders jersey. He often had green flashes fashioned into his normally blue and yellow Mercatone Uno shorts when he was leading the points competition early in the TdF. Once he joined Saeco and Cannondale joined Saeco, this took off and he started donning the outfits that you're thinking of.

e-RICHIE
10-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Actually, in about '95 or '96, Cipo pioneered the whole idea of wearing special shorts to match a leaders jersey. He often had green flashes fashioned into his normally blue and yellow Mercatone Uno shorts when he was leading the points competition early in the TdF. Once he joined Saeco and Cannondale joined Saeco, this took off and he started donning the outfits that you're thinking of.

well, like cipo was, johan et al should accept a penalty and pay it. one point
to make was that they changed from the black jerseys after the warning, but
put them back on to walk onto the podium. while that takes some stones, i had
assumed they were short on them atmo. they knew what they were doing. they
can afford the fines. the p.r. offsets them in spades atmo.

BdaGhisallo
10-30-2010, 04:29 PM
well, like cipo was, johan et al should accept a penalty and pay it. one point
to make was that they changed from the black jerseys after the warning, but
put them back on to walk onto the podium. while that takes some stones, i had
assumed they were short on them atmo. they knew what they were doing. they
can afford the fines. the p.r. offsets them in spades atmo.
I am with you on the fines. Fine Bruyneel's management company a ton of cash. I do think the suspension is stupid in the end. From the UCI's pov, isn't more news/publicity good?

Charles M
10-30-2010, 09:38 PM
when have we had an example of a GC leader doing this atmo?
being a GC leader and breaking rank isn't the same as a sprinter wearing what he wants in a time trial or similar.

I'm sorry,

I was posting to your first point

apples/oranges atmo.

The teams competition doesnt have a jersey and I cant hit a moving target with an apple or an orange ;)

What I can say is that teams and riders have had high profile kit changes and while they've paid the fines, nobody has ever been suspended

I think comparing willingness to pay a fine with accepting an unprecendented suspension is well... You pick the fruit

Polyglot
10-31-2010, 12:58 AM
The teams competition doesnt have a jersey and I cant hit a moving target with an apple or an orange ;)

What I can say is that teams and riders have had high profile kit changes and while they've paid the fines, nobody has ever been suspended

I think comparing willingness to pay a fine with accepting an unprecendented suspension is well... You pick the fruit

The big differences here are: 1) this is the last stage 2) it is the whole team and most importantly of all, they had already been specifically warned NOT to turn up with the jerseys on the podium; and lastly 4) as if that was not sufficient, Johan publicly made the insulting comments about the commissaires.

If a hockey player gets a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct, then continues with the same unsportsmanlike conduct in the same game, you can be sure that he will get a second penalty. If he then publicly disparages the official who penalizd him, you can rest assured that he will be suspended, whether he is a player or a team official.

PS: Doesn't the leader in the team competition now get yellow trim on their jersey sleeves to show they are leading in the team race?

BdaGhisallo
10-31-2010, 05:13 AM
PS: Doesn't the leader in the team competition now get yellow trim on their jersey sleeves to show they are leading in the team race?

No, they don't. Traditionally, they used to get yellow caps to wear during the race but since the advent of helmets, that has been abandoned. Now the way the TdF denotes the leading team is with yellow numbers instead of the regular. Similar to how the most aggresive rider of the stage gets to wear a red number in the next one.

Polyglot
10-31-2010, 06:15 AM
No, they don't. Traditionally, they used to get yellow caps to wear during the race but since the advent of helmets, that has been abandoned. Now the way the TdF denotes the leading team is with yellow numbers instead of the regular. Similar to how the most aggresive rider of the stage gets to wear a red number in the next one.

That is it, I remembered there was a way to recognize the leading team...

spartacus
10-31-2010, 01:25 PM
ASO and the sponsors don't appreciate gorilla ambush marketing tactics. This wasn't like that, but how does one draw the distinction? There has to be a clear set of guidelines and policies, and procedures. If Johan wants to ignore them then he's fair game.