PDA

View Full Version : What price for my Cervelo?

kevintx
10-29-2010, 07:39 PM
What would be a fair price for my Cervelo SLC SL 58cm w/full DA7900, easton aluminum clinchers, easton stem and carbon bar? Frame is a 8 out of 10, never crashed, components are 6 months old.

rw229
10-30-2010, 02:18 AM
Not to be Debby downer, but in my experience, bikes seem to be selling for 1/2 to 1/3 of their new price.

happycampyer
10-30-2010, 05:22 AM
What rw229 said, and also as you are probably aware Cervelo recently announced that they are discontinuing sales through online dealers, so you are starting to see the online dealers (Competitive Cyclist, Excel, etc.) blowout their inventory at 20% off, which isn't going to help the secondhand market.

John M
10-30-2010, 07:53 AM
You would likely do better selling frame, components, wheels separately. It would be more work for you, but the 7900 group probably retains more value as a group than attached to that frame, which although nice is nothing unique.

gearguywb
10-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Probably the worst time possible to try and sell a Cervelo. Winter right around the corner combined with Cervelo's decision to nix the online folks. There will be a bunch of new frames pushed onto the market at bargain prices in the next couple of weeks. If you don't need the cash right away hang on to it until spring.

dbh
10-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Probably the worst time possible to try and sell a Cervelo. Winter right around the corner combined with Cervelo's decision to nix the online folks. There will be a bunch of new frames pushed onto the market at bargain prices in the next couple of weeks. If you don't need the cash right away hang on to it until spring.

That, and the fact that the high end used bike market in general is simply in the tank. If you don't need the liquidity right now, I second the suggestion to hold onto it until the spring.

happycampyer
10-30-2010, 06:18 PM
You would likely do better selling frame, components, wheels separately. It would be more work for you, but the 7900 group probably retains more value as a group than attached to that frame, which although nice is nothing unique.This is always good advice. There is more demand for discrete items (gruppo, wheels, etc.) than a complete package.

Also, as a point of reference, there is a 56 (a popular size) SLC SL (F/F/seatpost) that has been for sale in the classifieds here and across the hall since early September and it has gone from $2K down to $1,750. These forums are not necessarily the best places to sell a Cervelo, either, imo. I have an R3-SL sitting around that I never ride, and if I ever got the energy up to sell it, I would put it up for sale on ebay and be done with it in a week. Lots more demand there.

kevintx
10-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the replies. I would rather just sell the complete bike. Any chance of getting $3K for it?

130R
10-30-2010, 08:21 PM
at most, sub 2k.

rice rocket
10-30-2010, 08:35 PM
SLC-SL frames are goin' for $1.1k-1.5k, I think it's quite realistic to get $2.5k fully built.

qjetha
10-31-2010, 12:06 AM
I would venture to guess that if you ran an ebay auction right now with a starting bid of 3000, a slc-sl with 7900 would sell. That would be my bet even in this pretty rough time for used bikes. I would give it a go, and find out :)

SoCalSteve
10-31-2010, 08:46 AM
For something so high ticket, ebay would be the place. You will get many more people looking at what you are selling.

But, the best advice is to break up the bike and sell it separately. You will find 3 buyers to spend 500.00 to 1500.00 easier than 1 person willing to spend 3,000.00...

Good luck!

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-31-2010, 08:53 AM
Definitely part it out, first to move will be the wheels. Selling it broken up will net more cash than the complete bike, where you're limited to buyers who fit that frame size, where the wheels (and components, except for the bars/stem/crankarms) aren't size specific, more potential buyers. I've done it, (got a full carbon Record 10 basically free in the deal) the only downside is that it can take a while. Good luck.

kevintx
11-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Awesome, thanks for the advice.

Pete Serotta
11-01-2010, 10:01 AM
this advice is right on for all the high end bikes (yeah SEROTTA too) at this time.

Used market is very soft due to economy and also time of year.

Breaking a bike apart for frame sale and component sales, at least for me, has always been good for income but also is more work for seller.