PDA

View Full Version : Lance Armstrong’s new nemesis: Federal agent Jeff Novitzky?

firerescuefin
10-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Interesting article...seems to be a straight forward ethical guy. Regardless of outcome, I hope this is handled above reproach.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/lance-armstrongs-new-nemesis-federal-agent-jeff-novitzky

Lifelover
10-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Interesting read. Get the popcorn!

I suspect the vocal witness is no other than Floyd.

dancinkozmo
10-29-2010, 07:16 AM
...wonder if lance will try giving him "the look" to try and make him drop the case ??

67-59
10-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Guys like this are kinda scary....like if I say anything bad about him in this thread, he'll show up on my doorstep with an old photo of me in my closet reading a Playboy when I was 14.... :no:

Hello, Big Brother.

gone
10-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Guys like this are kinda scary

Hello, Big Brother.

Yep. One of the things about witch hunters is they always find witches.

Dave B
10-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Is Lance the target in this or is it how funds were utilized to support a drug doping system in the USPS team?

I get how it can be made to think that this is all about Lance, however I think this is more about fradualnt spending with the government's (USPS) money.

Lance just happens to be the big shot on the team and folks everywhere seem to be salivating to find him guilty. I also think they were trying to link Lance as being the owner of the team or one of them to prosecute. He will not be punishable in a court of law regarding taking drugs, althogh there is his case against the ins agencey he one that might have some sort of purgery linked to testimony.

This probably is all sorts of incorrect, however i thought that was the spin of it.

texbike
10-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Novitzky may be a bad-a**, but he's going to find this case significantly more challenging than BALCO. Most of the alleged doping happened overseas. I think he's going to find it difficult to make European laws and culture work to his advantage on the Armstrong case. BALCO will have been a cakewalk in comparison...

Texbike

texbike
10-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Is Lance the target in this or is it how funds were utilized to support a drug doping system in the USPS team?

If it is about the mis-use of government funding for doping, how easy will that be to prove? The alleged sale of the equipment should be easy to document, but can they prove where those funds went? Do you think that the doctors gave them receipts for their EPO, test or whatever?

This is nothing more than a witch hunt. Otherwise why not go after significant mis-uses of government funding like payments to Afghanistan, Pakistan, Halliburton, etc. I would say that the time spent on those pursuits would be much more worthy than on some a**hole cyclist from Texas.

Texbike

Dekonick
10-29-2010, 11:09 AM
this is an absolute waste of tax dollars. There are much bigger fish to catch unless you are trying to make a name for yourself... Mind you - I am not a big LA fan. I just know there are much more important problems in this country. I also know how feds like this abuse their power all 'in the name of the law' because they view their 'purpose' as being important enough to disregard those petty laws our founders made sure made it into our constitution. I have personal knowledge of an individual that was railroaded by the IRS in the 1980's... it ended up going to the SC for a ruling. The feds admitted to threatening a federal judge, putting members on the grand jury "to help the other jury members understand the material..." and many other abuses of power. They even stated "they do this all of the time (minus threatening a judge) In the end (almost a decade) two federal lawyers were disbarred and the individual was found not guilty. It even made 60 minutes.

I honestly fear when people cheer folks like this as champions of freedom - more like freedom's worst enemy.

norcalbiker
10-29-2010, 11:12 AM
he'll show up on my doorstep with an old photo of me in my closet reading a Playboy when I was 14.... :no:

I thought that was a normal behavior. In fact at 14, I thought it's a little late. Some or most started reading Playboy at 8 and reading Penthouse by 10. :D

Charles M
10-29-2010, 11:25 AM
And you know what?>..

That's generally the kind of outcome these types of quiet probes produce.

They can't prove the Playboy at 14 but they will find that you didnt put your socks in the hamper and that you picked your nose.

It's as if they get a blanket search warrant that says "john doe, friends, family,and anything else we want" AND they get the warrant without any probably cause...

That's the very worst part of these types of investigations. In normal invesigations your civil rights are a lot more protected than this type of thing. It's not as bad, but it does border on the kind of behavior Americans find unacceptable in countries that we feel are less free than ours.

false_Aest
10-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Just wait a second

You're telling me that pr0n came in printed form?

Also, who is this Lance person?

67-59
10-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Just wait a second

You're telling me that pr0n came in printed form?

Also, who is this Lance person?

Who said anything about pr0n? I used to read Playboy for the articles. :cool:

Dave B
10-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Who said anything about pr0n? I used to read Playboy for the articles. :cool:

That is why i ordered the Braile version of playboy. Much nicer! :D

Dave B
10-29-2010, 12:34 PM
And you know what?>..

That's generally the kind of outcome these types of quiet probes produce.

They can't prove the Playboy at 14 but they will find that you didnt put your socks in the hamper and that you picked your nose.

It's as if they get a blanket search warrant that says "john doe, friends, family,and anything else we want" AND they get the warrant without any probably cause...

That's the very worst part of these types of investigations. In normal invesigations your civil rights are a lot more protected than this type of thing. It's not as bad, but it does border on the kind of behavior Americans find unacceptable in countries that we feel are less free than ours.

I agree with you, other side of that coin is, they find out bad stuff in the process...not directed at Lance's deal , but others. Doesn't make it right, but if they catch more bad gys then fine with me.

Here is my bug-a-boo.

So they find out Lance cheated and have proof. Anyone who "Knows" he cheated say, "told you so" and the folks who didn't know get bummed. He might lose some credibility and I think allof his endeavors will take a slight hit, obviously some mroe the others...but what good comes out of it? Really?

What does anyone gain? Jan isn't going to get the yellow jersies or Basso, et al. They all have either been found guilty or suspicious.

Folks who did believe might be turned off to cycling as their Hero fell. I don't know, I don't care about Lance, he doesn't care about me. I did enjoy watching him and I bought into his deal big time. had the kits, bikes, posters, everything.

I ask you this. Is knowing the absolute truth better then being a little blind?

texbike
10-29-2010, 12:43 PM

Agreed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXoNE14U_zM

Texbike

rwsaunders
10-29-2010, 01:37 PM
If it is about the mis-use of government funding for doping, how easy will that be to prove? The alleged sale of the equipment should be easy to document, but can they prove where those funds went? Do you think that the doctors gave them receipts for their EPO, test or whatever?

This is nothing more than a witch hunt. Otherwise why not go after significant mis-uses of government funding like payments to Afghanistan, Pakistan, Halliburton, etc. I would say that the time spent on those pursuits would be much more worthy than on some a**hole cyclist from Texas.

Texbike

+1...those kind of cases don't help your political career, and certainly would prevent you from pursuing a job opportunity as a lobbyist. Lance gets you on the cover of People.

JMerring
10-29-2010, 02:09 PM
if only this were the most egregious example of america having lost its way in terms of focusing on what matters vs. not focusing on what doesn't matter.

Dekonick
10-29-2010, 08:56 PM
I agree with you, other side of that coin is, they find out bad stuff in the process...not directed at Lance's deal , but others. Doesn't make it right, but if they catch more bad gys then fine with me.

Here is my bug-a-boo.

So they find out Lance cheated and have proof. Anyone who "Knows" he cheated say, "told you so" and the folks who didn't know get bummed. He might lose some credibility and I think allof his endeavors will take a slight hit, obviously some mroe the others...but what good comes out of it? Really?

What does anyone gain? Jan isn't going to get the yellow jersies or Basso, et al. They all have either been found guilty or suspicious.

Folks who did believe might be turned off to cycling as their Hero fell. I don't know, I don't care about Lance, he doesn't care about me. I did enjoy watching him and I bought into his deal big time. had the kits, bikes, posters, everything.

This is what is wrong - it is a way around our rights. Give a little and before you know it the constitution is just a piece of parchment that has no meaning. Slippery slope...

Derailer
10-29-2010, 11:41 PM

Here is my bug-a-boo.

Knowing the truth is always better than being blind -- that is, if you are concerned with knowing the truth. Here's my question: would you donate less to cancer research if you found out that Lance was lying through his teeth this whole time, if his successes owed to a years-long doping program that Lance went to great lengths to conceal?

rw229
10-30-2010, 01:16 AM
I just read an article about this in my "unsolicited" copy of Outdoor something or other. (I'd like to know which vendor sold my @#$% info)

The fact that Lance kicked ass in many years of the TDF makes him a big target. He is a either a hero or a cheater, but given the bigger picture of our world that this is even an issue that our government (or an employee of our government) would pursue? FDA? If you want to do something responsible, how about looking into all of the drugs and geneticly engineered crap that affects our society? /rant.

michael white
10-30-2010, 06:58 PM

Here is my bug-a-boo.

I would rather know the truth about things that matter more, but in general I agree that truth is good . . . But of course this investigation is a waste of tax dollars, you'd have to be somewhat close to clinically insane to think otherwise, especially in a big deficit. If you could vote on this you'd say: let's find out the truth about things that affect peace, security, the economy, oppressed cultures, etc etc. There's a lot of stuff worth worrying about. Also I know that Lance haters will chime in here and say Hey, This Does Matter! To Me! yeah, yeah, I know, whatever . . .

indyrider
10-31-2010, 06:19 AM
Also I know that Lance haters will chime in here and say Hey, This Does Matter! To Me! yeah, yeah, I know, whatever . . .

Lets just finish it, guilty or innocent, so he can go away quietly and have 6 more kids with 4 more women...