PDA

View Full Version : Initial Bedford sport touring bike review

Dekonick
10-28-2010, 08:09 PM
OK - I picked her up earlier in the week from smiley. Couldn't ride yesterday, or the day before. Today was the perfect setting so it was just meant to be.

I did not want to do anything crazy as this is a change in my 'fit' and want to get used to the feel before going on any long rides. Today was a two hour trip with lots of stops to take pictures. The fall color will not last much longer and I wanted to take advantage of the fantastic light. Too bad I suck as a photographer...

Now to the report. The setup is different than I have been riding for the last 5 years. This is my first touring frame and a lot of thought went into the design. It was built to work with a Brooks B-17, and the new Campy brifters - this resulted in a 54 top tube, much shorter than I have ever had before - but was necessary to accommodate the Brooks, Brifters, and still put me in a comfortable position. The result is a 9cm stem (too short? ;) I think Kelly Bedford knows what he is doing so I think it is just right! ) with a 5cm drop to Poco bars. I left all of the design to the master - my input was on what and how I was going to use the bike. They asked, I answered. The result is my new Bedford.

The ride:

Today was clear, blue skies with a few clouds and around 70 degrees. Slight breeze, but nothing noteworthy. Leaves would mostly gently fall from majestic maples and oaks with the occasional swirl that would take them asunder. A near perfect cycling day! I left my house and for the first mile or so I descended through historic Ellicott City. A few pot holes were no concern for this bike. She easily floated over or gently curved around them. A noticeable difference from a race bike... this reminded me more of a luxury sedan compared to a go cart or porche like feel. Downhill she stayed true with only little reminders needed. You could almost ride her with your eyes closed and your hands off of the bars. I found I had more time to take in the scenery and needed to pay less attention to the road...

Where to go and test this bike? I decided to go to the Paptasco State Park because it offered a variety of roads to try from dirt, to gravel, to paved and pot hole ridden. I tried them all short of true off road mountain bike trails (I was tempted) as I felt this was the best way to see how she would take the varied terrain. No problem. No jarring... no rattle... just an easy roll over whatever is in your way. This bike just likes to meander from place to place with no destination in mind. Just go ride. In short, Kelly nailed it. Smiley and Kelly absolutely smashed the ball out of the park... this is the perfect bike to ride when you don't care about time and just want to enjoy being outside and free.

Now to the Campy triple - what a fantastic group! 53,39,30 with 12x25. New centaur 10 speed brifters, the rest is Record or triple specific.

Shifting is solid - like you expect from Campagnolo. You know when you shift gears but in a good way. Easy to go up and down the cassette. What I found interesting is that I did not use the 30 at all until I decided to just see what it feels like. I tried it on a hill I am extremely familiar with and normally never use more than a 12 x 23. Just for fun I tried the 30 x 23. I think you could climb any paved road with this - no need for a larger cassette... even dragging my big arse up hill is no problem. I can appreciate how this gearing could be extremely useful when toting 50 lbs in panniers...

OK - so I love the fit. I love the ride. It is the perfect bike to take out to just ride. It would not be a good choice for a group ride... for that take your race bike.

ok - now for pictures. :banana:

Dekonick
10-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Pictures!

Dekonick
10-28-2010, 08:42 PM
more pics

akelman
10-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Great write-up, nice pics, beautiful bike. And you're not fat, just big-boned.

tuxbailey
10-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Can you tell me which part of Ellicott City your pictures are shown? Looks really nice for a ride.

Smiley
10-28-2010, 09:00 PM
I'll bring my Bedford by and we should get Rugby and do that loop you have pictures of. Thanks for the pictures of Howeird County MD :banana:

Peter B
10-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Looks a little small. Larger pics please.

rounder
10-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Good review...beautiful bike Delkonick. It looks great for riding around. Hope it lasts forever. I am waiting for a K. Bedford bike too, and the anticipation is killing me.

Dekonick
10-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Looks a little small. Larger pics please.

Wish I could - the forum limits size on jpegs. None of these pictures do justice to the paint and skill of the welder. You need to see them full size to appreciate the craftsmanship involved. The fork is absolutely stunning. Kelly did an outstanding job on the whole rig, but the fork really stands out.

Location in Ellicott City: The hills all around Main Street including my all time favorite Bonnie Branch Road. The pictures of the historic homes are on River Road and Bonnie Branch. The turtle was saved a grim fate on River Road. The majority of the other pictures were on fire roads in Avalon area of Paptasco State Park. I did not take pics of everywhere I went as the other area's aren't as scenic or safe enough from traffic to pause for a photo. All told probably a 25 mile ride. Much slower (I would never have noticed the turtle on my Legend...) than a race bike. That is actually part of the beauty of this machine. It entices you to slow down and just take in the beauty around. I even read some graffiti - Who is DECA STAR? Obviously this is a member of the Latin Kings, and quite the prolific graffiti artist... or so I gather from all of the crap he has tagged... bridges, burned out factories, guard rails... sheesh! This guy should get a life! Rant over.

Ken Robb
10-28-2010, 09:47 PM
What beautiful weather and surroundings. I miss them but then our SoCal weather is an OK substitute. Mid-October is my favorite season everywhere I have ever lived. For fall colors we have to go to the mountains. They are only an hour away by powered vehicle but it's not the same as having it right out your door.

At the risk of sounding like a smarty-pants since Brooks says B-17 saddles are best when the saddle and bars are even or the bars are higher you might be even happier with a Swift or Swallow. But what do I know? I love my B-17 saddles.

Lovely bike. For fun read some of Grant Petersen's musings on riding easily and having relaxed fun.

weisan
10-28-2010, 11:06 PM
It would not be a good choice for a group ride...
really?
why? can't you pedal faster? :D
otherwise, deko-pal, congratulations on your new bike!

Smiley
10-29-2010, 05:18 AM
Good review...beautiful bike Delkonick. It looks great for riding around. Hope it lasts forever. I am waiting for a K. Bedford bike too, and the anticipation is killing me.

Rounder, yours is stunning and will be displayed at the Philly show this weekend. Robin's Egg Blue in Bedford Team colors, nice :banana:

thanks for letting us show her off.

rugbysecondrow
10-29-2010, 06:05 AM
That area looks all too familiar. Great looking bike and hopefully we can get out together this weekend.

Tux, Patapsco park, Historic Ellicott city...come ride with us. I will warn you though, when you see the smiles on Mikes face and mine, you might be putting your name on the list for a Bedford.

Can't wait for my Bedford #2 to come in, a lite tourer like Mikes. I am very excited!

Dekonick
10-29-2010, 06:36 AM
Thank God! I don't think I could keep up with you on your white Bedford :p

I will admit it - I am slow :beer:

The Hors Categorie is headed to the Monster Garage for a Chop and S&S conversion... can you say that I have the perfect stable? I can!

SamIAm
10-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Congrats on the Bedford. I love casual rides, but it seems for me at least that the more people you add the less casual they become, but when you are out there by yourself, oh the fun you can have just doing you own thing on you own schedule and best of all on a Bedford.

I have one and one on the way. I also have two of the tig variety sold to some buddies here in Atlanta with more on the way.

I really just can't say enough about how tuned the ride of my Bedford is.

Here's to many happy miles on your new ride. :beer:

texbike
10-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Cool turtle.

Texbike

firerescuefin
10-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Mike,

Congrats on the bike. I hope to see some better resolution pics in the gallery....hint/hint. :beer:

bobswire
10-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Wish I could - the forum limits size on jpegs. None of these pictures do justice to the paint and skill of the welder. You need to see them full size to appreciate the craftsmanship involved. The fork is absolutely stunning. Kelly did an outstanding job on the whole rig, but the fork really stands out.
Nice but you can post high res pics directly instead of as attachments.
Or send me a couple of pics of the bike and I'll post them in HR for you?
Like this...http://i49.tinypic.com/2e5sieo.jpg

bumperjohn
10-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Nice bike! Kelly builds a fantastic riding machine, so much so that my second Bedford is off to paint now. Enjoy the ride and maybe we can meet up at Smiley's sometime for a Bedford ride.

John

Dekonick
10-29-2010, 08:19 PM
OK - how do you post high rez directly? Guess I should just go look under the FAQ...

bobswire
10-29-2010, 08:38 PM
OK - how do you post high rez directly? Guess I should just go look under the FAQ...

Go to http://tinypic.com/ upload a picture from your computer then copy the IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards and post it here. :beer:

Bob

Dekonick
10-29-2010, 09:12 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/34o93if.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/260zpe9.jpg

bluesea
10-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Nice! Provided I meet my cycling goals in the next 6 months, there's a 33.333% chance that I may be riding a Bedford soon there after.

P.S. Sweet orange on the CDA. That pic certainly helps solve the mystery as to how that color appears, other than on the computer generation at the Serotta website.

rw229
10-30-2010, 01:28 AM
Excellent report. There are times to ride fast with your head down and others to ride slow with your head up and appreciate your surroundings. Enjoy your new bike in good health!