PDA

View Full Version : Edge (Enve) wheels

PETER REID
10-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Does anyone have any experience with these wheels? Specifically how do they accelerate and perform at high speeds in excess of 40 mph for extended periods of time? Please state wheather your experience is with clinchers or tubulars.

platbr
10-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Does anyone have any experience with these wheels? Specifically how do they accelerate and perform at high speeds in excess of 40 mph for extended periods of time? Please state wheather your experience is with clinchers or tubulars.

Let me say I generally like the Edge stuff. I have an Edge fork, and an Edge stem ... and was considering a set of Edge 2.68 tubies. However, one of the guys on our team did break one of their lightweight climbing wheels ("cracked clean through with a disconnected spoke") at the Steamboat stage race. Apparently no impact or anything ... just out of the saddle hammering on a slight uphill. Anecdotal, at best. But it did put me off buying a set of wheels from them.

gasman
10-28-2010, 07:04 PM
They are the bee's knees per Jack Brunk and Flux (Justin Spinelli) a US pro racer.
As to breaking-anything really light is more likely to break.
How the heck are going over 40 mph for extened periods ? I assume motor-pacing or one heck of a long descent.

Erik.Lazdins
10-28-2010, 07:17 PM
They are layed up without drilled holes for spokes, Edge builds them right. They spin very smoothly.

Clincher 45s

Peter B
10-28-2010, 07:41 PM
<snip>
at high speeds in excess of 40 mph for extended periods of time?

They're not designed for motorcycles.

AndrewS
10-28-2010, 08:11 PM
They're not designed for motorcycles.
True. No one suggested using them for motorcycles.

jimcav
10-28-2010, 08:24 PM
not one issue except when run off the path and hit a bunch of dog crap in shredded bark--freak accident with a bark piece sticking to rim and getting wedged at the brake pad as i braked--pushed/cracked the brake surface free of the rim edge--warrantied no problem by enve--great customer service ( i also rode it back to the office that day--which was only about 4 miles)
jim

Uncle Jam's Army
10-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Today is the wrong day to ask me this question. About three months ago, my rear rim (1.45 clincher) developed a bulge right at the seam. Edge warrantied it, but it took one month to get my wheel back--they were backed up, which caused the delay. The new rim has about 200 miles on it (it is supposed to be a newer, more beefed up version), and it is holding up so far.

Today, however, I started to get brake shudder on my front rim. I took a look at it and there is a huge bulge in the rim, so much so that it is starting to break up the brake track/scrim. I'm going to have to send this one in, too. I've got about 1,000 miles on these wheels, and almost all of it is straightforward riding, no technical descents.

I give Edge props for their customer service, but to have both rims fail leaves me speechless. Hopefully, they will warranty the front rim, too, with the new version, and hopefully the new version of the rim holds up well.

Jack Brunk
10-28-2010, 08:44 PM
A terrific made rim for both road and mountain. Key is having them made into a top notch wheel. Choose your wheel builder wisely. I have thousands of miles on different sets and not one issue ever. I'm having another set made for my Moots Mooto X YBB 29er. Again it's really important to use quality high end hubs and spokes and put together by a professional builder.
A little known fact is their dealing on the Edge labeled products. PM me if you may need something.

Pegoready
10-28-2010, 09:13 PM
True. No one suggested using them for motorcycles.

Twas a joke. Who the hell is riding 40 mph for extended periods of time anyway?

gasman
10-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Twas a joke. Who the hell is riding 40 mph for extended periods of time anyway?

The OP hasn't said.

ninjaman
10-29-2010, 12:53 AM
I'm pretty sure if you're riding 40mph for extended periods of time, your wheel sponsor decides what you ride.

firerescuefin
10-29-2010, 01:18 AM
40 MPH......Who knew Peter Reid was actually the alias of Fabian Cancellara...and that the new Luxembourg team was considering Enve wheels.......we are in the presence of greatness

oldguy00
10-29-2010, 07:10 AM
I had a set briefly (1.68's)......and I agree that a huge part of the equation is who builds them for you (and also assume you use decent hubs).
Honestly, I wouldn't spend the extra $$ on them over something like an Easton EC90 Aero, which can easily be found for about $1100. Same rim profile, and the Eastons are pretty darn bombproof.

BillG
10-29-2010, 07:16 AM
If you are using them to motopace, send an email to Justin Spinelli at Svelte Cycles. He will definitely know.

William
10-29-2010, 07:16 AM
at high speeds in excess of 40 mph for extended periods of time?

Who the hell is riding 40 mph for extended periods of time anyway?

Long decents and/or motor pacing.

William

Tom Byrnes
10-29-2010, 11:56 AM
I have four sets of Edge wheels - two tubular and two clinchers.

I think they are great. No problems whatsoever.

Tom

protege55
10-29-2010, 12:02 PM
1.68s...built by flux at luxewheelworks...raced last season on them in various events, including a number of crits. spin up incredibly fast and hold their speed (though not 40mph in my case). stiff enough to sprint on as well (i'm 6'5"). I would recommend them without issue. just fantastic wheels.

rustychain
10-29-2010, 01:15 PM
My Edge wheels were built for everyday use under my 95 kilos. DT Swiss 240 hubs, Edge 2.38 dims, Areolite spokes (28 front and rear) weight 1154 grams. They are very stiff when sprinting. I was clocked by the local policemen doing 64 mph on these wheels ( I am skeptical of his ability to accurately clock a cyclist) but whatever the actual speed it was well above 40 mph. It was going so fast I expected not only my wheels but my frame, my fork and everything else to explode as every bump bucked me like a wild horse. Fact is the wheels were perfect and I credit them with saving me from at best an extremely long hospital stay. Even my great appreciation for these wheels would not get me to purchase any carbon clincher at this time. Besides bulging brake surfaces the prospect of a flat damaging the rim is all to real with any carbon clinchers. At this time I have about 20000 miles on this set of Edge wheels. I sold a set of 1.68 wheels and was impressed how they held speed but in the end my Boras had better hubs so the .68 rims were sold to pay for other bike related junk. I have owned Zipp 303's and used Reynold, Lightweights before. I consider Edge wheels equal or better then any carbon wheels I've tried

spartacus
10-29-2010, 01:16 PM
How long are these rims covered by the manufacturer against defects?
What isn't covered? I mean, they are for riding on roads and so what events constitute abusive use leading to failure that is beyond the terms of the cover?

rustychain
10-29-2010, 05:26 PM
They bend over backwards with customer service. I believe they also have a crash replacement program available. Service outside of the U.S. is spotty however, not from Edge but the distributers are slow. FYI Edge is changing names to Enve.

PETER REID
10-31-2010, 06:56 AM
I am actually more interested to hear what other persons experiences are with how these wheels ride on different terrains.... Smooth pavement, tar and chip, hard pack, etc.

As far as the above 40 mph is concerned, there are down hills in this world of ours that are so long that you can be going above 40 for extended periods of time.... and then there is motor pacing...