PDA

View Full Version : Ball Bearings -- Best Quality

Tommasini53
10-27-2010, 09:46 PM
I have a couple sets of wheels to overall this fall. Where do I go to buy the best quality bearings?? I do not want ceramic bearings!!!!

I've had one bad experience with bearings that rusted after some damp weather so I've learned they're not all equal even though they look the same. :beer:

dave thompson
10-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Go to any bearing house and ask for Grade 5 ball bearings of the correct size. The best and not very expensive.

10-27-2010, 10:24 PM
I'd bounce around the Boca site for a while. They have some pretty useful info and a ton of balls, probably several tons actually. Lots of different sizes and compositions.

Site: http://www.bocabearings.com/

WjV

AndrewS
10-27-2010, 11:00 PM
I have a couple sets of wheels to overall this fall. Where do I go to buy the best quality bearings?? I do not want ceramic bearings!!!!

I've had one bad experience with bearings that rusted after some damp weather so I've learned they're not all equal even though they look the same. :beer:
How did they rust with grease on them?

Stainless bearings are available, but 52100 is the bearing steel of choice.

fjaws
10-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Grade 25 are considered "Campy" quality and can be had at most LBS's if you ask for them specifically. Otherwise you'll likely get grade 300 that are used for general repairs.

ergott
10-28-2010, 05:01 AM
Best bearings - Phil Wood. Easy to get and relatively inexpensive.

LegendRider
10-28-2010, 06:45 AM
Best bearings - Phil Wood. Easy to get and relatively inexpensive.

I put some in my 7800 bottom bracket a few years ago - still smooth as silk.

ergott
10-28-2010, 08:26 AM
It took me 6 years to wear out a set of bb bearings from Phil Wood. That's year round riding in NY.

ada@prorider.or
10-29-2010, 02:36 PM

Mmm that must have been very cheap one's

on the other side where do you want to use it for wheel?
BB bracket?

i would go for INA bearing stainless steel and litium grease inside
as well the highest P rating you can get

cees