PDA

View Full Version : OT weekend adventure

A1CKot
10-27-2010, 09:44 PM
So prior to this weekend I had worked 25 of the last 28 days, or something like that. I was burned out and was ready for a full weekend, the last until Nov 12 maybe longer. After getting off work at 7am on last Friday and sleeping for somewhere close to 12 hour I started brainstorming of things to do.

The search for things to do in North Dakota is kind of short but I came across the Theodore Roosevelt National Park and almost instantly made up my mind. So at 6ish in the morning I set about printing maps and packing my car. I decided to bring my cross bike, to ride the scenic road, but ended up spending the whole day on hiking trails. Growing up in Northern Illinois, I really never experienced terrain like this. I even spend some time at school in Southern Illinois and that doesn't even compare.

It was a bit of a sensory over load and at one point I just found a nice area to just sit and take it all in. It was so quite, so peace full, and so good to get away for the Air base. I got back to base quite late in the night and slept like a baby. When I woke I felt recharged and ready to go. And good thing I did because we had our first snow storm yesterday. With the temp in the 20s and the wind blowing the snow sideways at 30+ mph, it made for a fun work night.

Picture of my weekend trip can be found here (http://s1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/A1CKot/Theodore%20Roosevelt%20National%20Park-%20North%20Unit/)

Bud_E
10-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Nice. It looks like you had the whole place to yourself ( except for a few bison and deer ).

goonster
10-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

rugbysecondrow
10-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Awesome. As a flatlander myself (from Springfield, IL) I appreciate this type of scenery.

Paul

rpm
10-28-2010, 02:01 PM
That's great! I've hiked in the badlands a bit but never ridden there. They have a peculiar beauty that's quietly enticing. There's a big road ride around the badlands every summer that I'd like to do it sometime.

http://www.parkrec.nd.gov/recreation/activities/candisc.htm

Karin Kirk
10-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Nice! We have only made a brief stop there when we were moving to Bozeman, but it's strikingly beautiful and really quiet. I'm glad you got a chance to go. Sounds like that is just what you needed to recharge and get ready for all that snow!

We got snow too, but it's already melted. For now. :cool:

A1CKot
10-28-2010, 08:15 PM
That's great! I've hiked in the badlands a bit but never ridden there. They have a peculiar beauty that's quietly enticing. There's a big road ride around the badlands every summer that I'd like to do it sometime.

http://www.parkrec.nd.gov/recreation/activities/candisc.htm

Looks like I found something to do next summer.

Thank you all for the kind words. I enjoy sharing my experiences almost as much as living them. I may be stuck up here for the time being so I guess I will just have to make the best of it.

My batteries are recharged but my camera ran out of battery at like 5:30 so I didn't get to shot the sun set. Next time...

Next trip will be to the South unit after after a good snow and maybe with a better camera.

oliver1850
10-28-2010, 10:54 PM

xjoex
10-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Looks like a fun adventure!