PDA

View Full Version : O.T. Baseball-World Series

bobswire
10-27-2010, 01:30 PM
With game one of the World Series starting in my home town tonight I felt it appropriate to post this video..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AyVdbfyvwso

Go Giants!!!!!!

dd74
10-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Yeah. Giants. Though I've always been a Nolan Ryan fan. But "The Freak" is cool. I like that kid.

It's funny what happens this time of year in sports. Basketball begins, the World Series kicks off, and it seems football falls off the face of Earth, scattering around in the cellar with NASCAR.

alexstar
10-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Go Giants!

cuwinbs
10-27-2010, 03:47 PM
that video is the best !!!fear the beard

130R
10-27-2010, 04:26 PM
i unfortunately might not be able to watch the 1st game, but will watch the next until it ends!

GO GIANTS

Ray
10-27-2010, 04:43 PM
I sort of like some of the guys on the Rangers team, but I can't stand American League baseball (people get upset about Communism and Fascism, but not the Designated Hitter?????) and culturally I'm a lot more in tune with San Francisco than most parts of Texas. And I still say great pitching stops great hitting. I think either the Phils or the Giants would win this series. Then again, Cliff Lee is once again acting like God hisownself and if their second guy (Lewis?) pitches as well as he has, Tejas has a chance. Particularly if Sanchez melts down in his starts like he did against Philly.

On balance, GO GIANTS! But it could be a good one...

-Ray

nahtnoj
10-27-2010, 04:58 PM
My usual rule is to cheer for the team that beat your team to win it all so at least the loss of your team is justified in the end.

I'm not sure I can do that in this case.

bobswire
10-27-2010, 05:08 PM
My usual rule is to cheer for the team that beat your team to win it all so at least the loss of your team is justified in the end.

Though they've taken a drubbing these past ten years or so my usual rule is cheer for the National League, always have always will. I would have extended the same courtesy to your Phillies had they won. Go Giants :banana:

alexstar
10-27-2010, 06:11 PM

Not to be rude, but why? I've heard this from a number of Phillies fans.

gasman
10-27-2010, 06:51 PM

I was wondering why also.
I also wondered why the Giants were booed as they left the field after winning the last game. Why the hate ? It was a great series.
I never heard that happen in SF
Go Giants !!

Ray
10-27-2010, 07:04 PM
I have no problem rooting for the Giants. They're my second favorite team in the NL and the team I feared most all season. They didn't do anything in the series against the Phils to make me dislike them, other than win. Which I admit pissed me off. :cool:

But hey, great pitching, scrappy and resourceful hitters, what's not to like? And San Francisco is my favorite city in the US by a large margin. Dallas/FW is near the bottom, so its an easy call in that respect. And I always love it when characters like Lincicum and Wilson take on the world and win. Pisses off the straight and narrow folks and that's always fun to see.

Yeah, go Giants. And its almost nice to be able to watch without getting a damn ulcer over it this year. I'd rather have the chance for an ulcer, but at least that's an upside!

-Ray

rugbysecondrow
10-27-2010, 07:05 PM
I agree Ray. National vs AMERICAN are two very different styles of ball and I prefer the NATIONAL. The strategy I better, the full use of the starter and pinch jitters as well as a more enhanced utilization of the bull pen. The American league is formulaic and predictable.

Go Giants.

thwart
10-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Anyone check the forecast? Hopefully no 'quakes...

I'll never forget that night game in '89.

Elefantino
10-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Yeah. I was in the auxiliary press box, in the second deck, second-to-last row, of Candlestick.

Never forget, indeed.

SPOKE
10-27-2010, 07:29 PM
wondering how many times Hamilton gets walked??

rugbysecondrow
10-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Ray,

As an aside ( ask your wife to confirm ) but I think you could double for Mike Maddox, the pitching coach for the Rangers. Spitting image.

nahtnoj
10-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Not to be rude, but why? I've heard this from a number of Phillies fans.

Fair question.

Nolan Ryan was my favorite player when I was little, but its mostly because I'm bitter.

The Phils played most of the season with a patched together starting line-up and still managed to have the best record in baseball.

That should matter more than a silly best of 7 series, where you remove one hot player (Cody Ross) and the Phillies stand a good chance of sweeping the series instead of going home.

It's a lot easier to cheer for the guy who beat you when he actually beat you. IMHO, the Phils shot themselves in the foot. They picked a really bad time to go on a cold streak. That is the only lesson here.

Of course, as I type this, the Giants are scoring runs.

Ray
10-27-2010, 09:02 PM
It's a lot easier to cheer for the guy who beat you when he actually beat you. IMHO, the Phils shot themselves in the foot. They picked a really bad time to go on a cold streak. That is the only lesson here.

Nah, I think you ARE bitter Jon. The Phils went on a cold streak because the Giants have roughly as much pitching as we do. And the Giants went pretty cold agains our pitching too (except for Cody). I figured before that series that it was gonna be a bunch of nail biter low scoring games and I thought it was a toss up. The Phillies outscored the Giants by a run in the series, but not when it mattered. And yeah, Cody killed us, but that had to be partly because he KNEW our pitchers, having spent his career in this division. He's ALWAYS hit well agains the Phils. The Giants just plain beat us. Not by much, not pretty, etc. And if we played them five series, maybe we'd win 3, maybe we wouldn't. But they deserved to win that series.

Just think about how much has to go right to get to the series and how much more to win it. And we got there two strait and won one and had no business being as good as we were this year with all the injuries and lack of offense. The Phils were on an insane hot streak in August and September, getting pretty much ALL the breaks, and to continue that all the way through the post season is a HUGE ask. I wasn't shocked. Bummed, yeah. Bitter for about 10 minutes after game 4, but not at all surprised.

And now they've made Cliff Lee look bad. Who'd a thunk?

-Ray

Ray
10-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Ray,

As an aside ( ask your wife to confirm ) but I think you could double for Mike Maddox, the pitching coach for the Rangers. Spitting image.
I'd have to shave enough of my beard to leave only that little Zappa-esque assemblage of moustache and soul patch and then maybe I could assess whether there's a resemblance. I haven't had that sort of mess on my face in about 20 years and not planning to go back! :cool:

-Ray

chuckroast
10-27-2010, 09:41 PM
So dd74 noted something back in post number 2 that no one has commented on, ie, football falls off the radar during the World Series.

I like the World Series and have it on as I'm typing this but I disagree with the premise. This is College Football and NFL season and I am way more interested in them than the series.

But, in SF and Dallas/ Arlington I understand this to be a BFD.

nahtnoj
10-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Nah, I think you ARE bitter Jon. The Phils went on a cold streak because the Giants have roughly as much pitching as we do. And the Giants went pretty cold agains our pitching too (except for Cody). I figured before that series that it was gonna be a bunch of nail biter low scoring games and I thought it was a toss up. The Phillies outscored the Giants by a run in the series, but not when it mattered. And yeah, Cody killed us, but that had to be partly because he KNEW our pitchers, having spent his career in this division. He's ALWAYS hit well agains the Phils. The Giants just plain beat us. Not by much, not pretty, etc. And if we played them five series, maybe we'd win 3, maybe we wouldn't. But they deserved to win that series.

Just think about how much has to go right to get to the series and how much more to win it. And we got there two strait and won one and had no business being as good as we were this year with all the injuries and lack of offense. The Phils were on an insane hot streak in August and September, getting pretty much ALL the breaks, and to continue that all the way through the post season is a HUGE ask. I wasn't shocked. Bummed, yeah. Bitter for about 10 minutes after game 4, but not at all surprised.

And now they've made Cliff Lee look bad. Who'd a thunk?

-Ray

Ray,

All true. And yes, bitter.

Everything that went wrong this year, and look how good the team still managed to be. The playoffs, for my taste, hinge too much on streaks and an inch here or there, which is the polar opposite of the regular season where everything has more time to average out.

I have a friend who is a statistician and diehard baseball fan. He tells me a series should have 11 games to smooth out the anomalies and be a significant measure of which team is actually superior.

Ray
10-28-2010, 05:00 AM
Everything that went wrong this year, and look how good the team still managed to be. The playoffs, for my taste, hinge too much on streaks and an inch here or there, which is the polar opposite of the regular season where everything has more time to average out.

I have a friend who is a statistician and diehard baseball fan. He tells me a series should have 11 games to smooth out the anomalies and be a significant measure of which team is actually superior.
That's true too, but what would become of the Super Bowl, March Madness, the Stanley Cup? Its true in all playoffs/championship games. Its always about who gets hot at the right time. Like the Giants beating the Patriots in the Super Bowl a few years back when the Pats were undefeated for the season. And, by that logic, the Phillies shouldn't have been IN the World Series either of the last two years, let alone winning it in '08.

-Ray

bobswire
10-28-2010, 08:21 AM
So dd74 noted something back in post number 2 that no one has commented on, ie, football falls off the radar during the World Series.

I like the World Series and have it on as I'm typing this but I disagree with the premise. This is College Football and NFL season and I am way more interested in them than the series.

Bingo! I just hope the Giants didn't use up all their allotted runs in one game. :rolleyes:

As for what ills the 49ers, coaching and ownership.

1happygirl
10-28-2010, 08:29 AM
I was hoping someone would say it. But I'll say it:

GO RANGERS!!!!

At least give us that as it appears the DEATH STAR (I mean Cowboys) aren't going anywhere with Jerry Jones coaching.
Romo's injury may be the best gift the Cowboys are given this year.

So let the Rangers win. Especially for the peeps here that have tickets Monday.

norcalbiker
10-28-2010, 11:13 AM
I am not a baseball fan but surrounded by many. It was to my surprised that most of them did not give those SF Giants a chance to win a division playoff, let alone to go to world series. Even the first world series game in the bag, they still skeptical on them winning all the way. What the hell kind of fans are they.

Like I said, I am not a fan, but

GO GIANTS!!!

(It's good for the city) :D

1happygirl
10-28-2010, 12:09 PM
I am not a baseball fan but surrounded by many.
Like I said, I am not a fan, but

GO GIANTS!!!

(It's good for the city) :D

Come on guys, you've been there before. Let's show some support for the underdogs.

GO RANGERS!!!

Nolan Ryan is a standup guy.

bzbvh5
10-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Since this is a World Series post and not a Giants post: Go Rangers, Fear the Claw, Respect the Antlers. Beard Schmeard.

Normally you are correct, football reigns in both cities. Have you seen the 49er play or the DEATH STAR Cowboys play recently. I think both sets of fans think this Series is a BFD. When was the last time people talked about the Rangers at the end of October? NEVER

Jeff N.
10-28-2010, 02:50 PM
The Giants knocked my Padres out after we'd kicked their collective a$$ all year. So.....GO Rangers! (and...GO CHARGERS! And take the Padres with you! :rolleyes: ) Jeff N.