PDA

View Full Version : Campy FD: Clamp to Braze-on Conversion

Nil Else
10-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Campy FD Clamp to Braze-on Conversion:

Looks to be possible. Am I remembering right this can be done/ what part do I need?

Mike748
10-27-2010, 12:23 PM
If you have the same generation of FD's, you can switch a clamp to braze and vice versa. No extra parts needed, just the b/o or clamp base and the one little screw that holds the upper arm on. The adjuster screws stay on the base, the parallel arms and cage stay together. Have a look at the campy parts manual pdf for exploded view details.

Nil Else
10-27-2010, 02:32 PM
I need Braze-on FDs but I see so many clamp FDs for sale... looks to me I need the piece that goes between FD to braze-on hanger.

Okay, I just went through 2003 to 2008 exploded diagrams and for the PRE-QS FDs FD-RE201 is the part I need to convert from clamp FD to Blaze-on but for the post 2008/QS FDs, as far as I can see, they cannot be converted.

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/doc/doccatid_3.jsp

Mike748
10-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Yes, you need the RE201 part, although the Centaur CE001 will work too. Record is better finished.

Look at 2008, pg 37 Centaur. FD-CE001 and FD-CE009. I've used a QS b/o body with a non-QS cage... I think they are the same. Actually I think all 8-9-10's double & triple are interchangeable, although not identical, as long as they use the screw FD-RE107 to attach. Could be the 2008+ Record/Chorus are riveted to save weight (!).

I have a Centaur grey triple b/o that was made for a 30-40-50 which hung the FD at a slightly lower position than the corresponding Record which was made for 30-42-53. But that is the only one out of about 5 I have that is different.

That said, I doubt you'll be able to buy a b/o body for cheap... but you might find an 8spd Record b/o FD with a bent cage for cheap.

Nil Else
10-27-2010, 03:24 PM
I was just looking at Record coz that's what I'm interested. Looks like Record/Chorus QS FD bodies are different from Centaur's seeing they used different diagrams altogether?

Anyhoo my quick search for FD-RE201 looks like this is a difficult part to locate....

Dave
10-28-2010, 07:55 AM
Not worth the effort or cost. Buy a braze-on model if that's what you need.

oldpotatoe
10-28-2010, 09:27 AM
I was just looking at Record coz that's what I'm interested. Looks like Record/Chorus QS FD bodies are different from Centaur's seeing they used different diagrams altogether?

Anyhoo my quick search for FD-RE201 looks like this is a difficult part to locate....

The only way to get that part in the US is to buy one attached to a FD.

John M
10-28-2010, 11:22 AM
I might still have one of these in my parts bin from an FD that I converted from braze-on to 35mm clamp. It would be from a pre-carbon Record. If I can find it, I will send it to you. Let me look when I get home from work tonight.

Nil Else
10-28-2010, 11:38 AM
The only way to get that part in the US is to buy one attached to a FD.

:mad: Tried to be sleek but GOT ME. :crap:

It's the vanity thing... I have FDs but I wanted the matching version cheap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQZmCJUSC6g

Nil Else
10-28-2010, 11:48 AM
I might still have one of these in my parts bin from an FD that I converted from braze-on to 35mm clamp. It would be from a pre-carbon Record. If I can find it, I will send it to you. Let me look when I get home from work tonight.

John, regardless of whether you find it or not I do appreciate. This is why I'm addicted to the Serotta Forum Collective :beer: