PDA

View Full Version : excited about the gala, not so much about the likelihood of meeting lance??

spiderman
10-27-2010, 08:33 AM
:rolleyes:
the medical network to which i belong
is having a grand opening for our new cancer center
this upcoming friday night...
...it's like we're waging war on cancer
and lance armstrong is our keynote speaker.
i think he plans to be in the state a total of 3 hours and 47 minutes.
nonetheless, we are throwing a black tie/evening gown gala
that my wife, youngest daughter and i are planning on attending.
yesterday i was measured for my new tux...
...today i am rounding up pieces of a gift i was going to give lance...
my wife rolled her eyes and asked 'what could you possibly give lance
that he wouldn't immediately throw in the trash?'
i was planning on giving him a bottle of local wine called buffalo blush
wrapped in a local team kit.
so, she surprisingly said...
...well, it's ok with me
as long as your forum friends approve!
so, what do you think??
gift or no gift to the gala... :bike:

Dave B
10-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Honestly I think it is realyl cool.

However, seeing how I like humor, I think it would be funny to wrap up the bottle in a "Dopers Suck" jersey. :D

FWIW , I could care less what he took or didn't take. I was a huge fan of his, he is amazing on a bike, he helped folks get on a bike, he helps bring awarness to cancer and money for research etc. Those are ok in my book.

snah
10-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Honestly I think it is realyl cool.

However, seeing how I like humor, I think it would be funny to wrap up the bottle in a "Dopers Suck" jersey. :D

FWIW , I could care less what he took or didn't take. I was a huge fan of his, he is amazing on a bike, he helped folks get on a bike, he helps bring awarness to cancer and money for research etc. Those are ok in my book.

I double all this. :banana:

ahumblecycler
10-27-2010, 09:01 AM
To the two replies ... seriously?

Wow, just when I thought I had seen it all on this forum ... just wow.

OP - maybe include a card of you in your kit on your bike with your Livestrong bracelet so that he understands the deeper meaning of the gift including the jersey.

Dave B
10-27-2010, 09:22 AM
To the two replies ... seriously?

Wow, just when I thought I had seen it all on this forum ... just wow.

OP - maybe include a card of you in your kit on your bike with your Livestrong bracelet so that he understands the deeper meaning of the gift including the jersey.

Humor man, life is boring w/o it.

AngryScientist
10-27-2010, 09:39 AM
i like the idea. a little local flavor, and local pride, no matter what level an athlete is on, he should appreciate a thoughtful gift such as this. i say go for it.

also, these are MADE for black tie affairs, and will solidify your cycling roots.

http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/sidi-69106-zoom.jpg

Lifelover
10-27-2010, 09:42 AM
I have never been to a black tie gala. Is it common to give the Key note speaker gifts?

Will everyone at the event have that kind of access to him?

If you are not excited about Lance, why would you give him a gift?

spiderman
10-27-2010, 09:59 AM
I have never been to a black tie gala. Is it common to give the Key note speaker gifts?

Will everyone at the event have that kind of access to him?

If you are not excited about Lance, why would you give him a gift?

i've been involved with some of the preliminary meeting/mission/strategic planning...suffice it to say...we have scaled down our expectations
from a friendly group ride to
realizing he'll shake hands with a dozen people or so out of 2000 at the event
give his address
and be out the door...
at best i'll have a chance to hand off a gift
to one of his attendants
that hopefully, he'll be able to enjoy later!
adding (actually meeting) maybe gives you a better idea
of the situation it seems we'll encounter...
obtw,
love the shoes!
fabulous idea...

ahumblecycler
10-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Humor man, life is boring w/o it.

My bad ... the unattentive driver broke my humor along with my wrist, sorry.

false_Aest
10-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Wine = bad idea. Might have clenbu . . . . whatever the eff it is.

Better choice:

*edit*

I was gonna post a picture of a key fob that looks like brass testicles but that's bound to offend someone.

gasman
10-27-2010, 11:40 AM
You have nothing to lose and it is a nice gesture for the honored guest.

spiderman
10-27-2010, 11:47 AM
You have nothing to lose and it is a nice gesture for the honored guest.

why not give him what i consider the best
of our local cycling flavor??
after all,
he is human
and a cyclist
isn't he??

Charles M
10-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Not at all meaning to sound like a jerk, but

He wont wear the jersey (has other commitment). He wont drink the wine (won't take the risk). Neither of those choices are anything but responsible in his position (though it would be cool to think otherwise).

What he will do is take the time to come to your town and open the cancer center and attend the function.

people try and give the guy stuff 25-7. And he almost has no choice but to pass it through screening. It's just the responsible thing to do...

About the only thing I've seen make his list are socks from some folks. stuff a donation check to LAF in a pair of team socks and hand em over and say thanks for comming and you migh be both appreciated and have a reasonable chance that he uses what you give him.

He cant even give stuff away because he doesnt know the personalities and leanings of the team who's kit he's been handed...

Dave B
10-27-2010, 12:33 PM

He wont wear the jersey (has other commitment). He wont drink the wine (won't take the risk). Neither of those choices are anything but responsible in his position (though it would be cool to think otherwise).

What he will do is take the time to come to your town and open the cancer center and attend the function.

people try and give the guy stuff 25-7. And he almost has no choice but to pass it through screening. It's just the responsible thing to do...

About the only thing I've seen make his list are socks from some folks. stuff a donation check to LAF in a pair of team socks and hand em over and say thanks for comming and you migh be both appreciated and have a reasonable chance that he uses what you give him.

He cant even give stuff away because he doesnt know the personalities and leanings of the team who's kit he's been handed...

Brother that is a good point. I think it is awesome to be able to hand something to Lance and him give his personal thanks. I still say go with humor. Give him a funny picture of Jan or Contador. Hand him your autograph and tell him not to sel lit on ebay with a big smile. Like Pez said people probably give him all sorts of stuff. Give him a hug. Catch him off guard, I think that would have a huge impact. Giving him a club jersey is a cool idea, I would just hate to see him toss it as it means loads to you.

I do envy your experience. Godoluck and i hope you have a great time.

AndrewS
10-27-2010, 01:09 PM
I was gonna post a picture of a key fob that looks like brass testicles but that's bound to offend someone.
Like it might offend a guy with only one nut left?

I think celebrities receive enough swag all the time that it stops being touching. Look him in the eye and mean it when you say "Thank you for what you do," and leave it at that.

BengeBoy
10-27-2010, 01:21 PM
I thought the local wine and local jersey were a good idea, but Pez is right, he would not be able to use the jersey and would never consume anything people give him.

Here's a digital alternative:

Wonder if you could round up some local riders, get a picture of them on their bikes w/their Livestrong bracelets on, and send him a "Tweet" with a link to the photo to welcome him to your town and a hashtag #spidey

Send it to him just before you meet him, and tell him that if he retweets it everybody in the photo will donate $1 to Livestrong for every retweet by his followers in the next 30 minutes.

rice rocket
10-27-2010, 01:25 PM
You might regret that when you're writing a $100k check. ;)

Might be for another thread, but can someone explain Twitter to me? I'd like to view what the original Twitterer (Tweeter?) wrote, not what 50,000 fanboys had to say.

spiderman
10-27-2010, 01:36 PM

...nice point...
i have a pair of (nwt) acid green bonk socks
that match my llewellyn...
...maybe i'll take a picture of me in the acid green bonk kit with llew
and a check to laf in a card
tucked in the socks
just as you say...
thanks!
...obtw,
i think i'll also wear my cycling socks
with my tuxedo
and post a pic here
so you can all have a good laugh with me!
...maybe lance will be willing to put his on
and shoot a pic with me...
fun/outrageous
may just work for me

spiderman
10-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Sounds like my chances of meeting lance have just gone up!
He sent out a tweet that there will be a ride in sioux falls tomorrow...
So, two things:
1) If you are in town, let's ride
2) Do I ride llew (fixed) or woody (ottrott with red)
Thanks in advance--
Spidey
Obtw, wonder if lance will like his nwt bonk acid green castelli socks

William
10-29-2010, 06:19 AM
Sounds like my chances of meeting lance have just gone up!
He sent out a tweet that there will be a ride in sioux falls tomorrow...
So, two things:
1) If you are in town, let's ride
2) Do I ride llew (fixed) or woody (ottrott with red)
Thanks in advance--
Spidey
Obtw, wonder if lance will like his nwt bonk acid green castelli socks

Be a strongman!! Ride the fixed Lew. ;)

William

AngryScientist
10-29-2010, 07:20 AM
Be a strongman!! Ride the fixed Lew. ;)

William

Yes!

spiderman
10-29-2010, 11:24 PM
Lance is really very human yet larger than life
Is hard to get near yet great to be around...
He and a couple others rode with the support
Of a local cycling club and leading group of 30
And several hundred following along the 15 mile route.
He signed shirts, bikes and jerseys left and right after the ride
...to the point you thought he might be late
For the gala itself!
His talk was compelling...giving an update
On the foundation
Expressing his awareness of who we were
And the place he was recognizing
And then told his personal story.
Right in the middle,
He was interrupted by a medical emergency
In the audience which he handled with grace and poise.
He was and is a true inspiration
Has the heart of a champion
And is a cancer survivor extraordinaire!

rw229
10-30-2010, 01:47 AM
I've sat and eaten dinner within feet of Lance. As a total stranger (to him) I can assure you that he is human and a real person like you and I. (Though its entirely possible that he has a different persona when he detects he's in the spotlight).

AngryScientist
10-30-2010, 07:16 AM
sounds like it was a great experience. he is a controversial man, for sure, but you cant argue with a story like this. i look forward to his future endeavors.

xjoex
10-30-2010, 08:33 AM
That is awesome! Lance is an amazing man.

-Joe

Bob Loblaw
10-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Surviving cancer, winning the Tour 7 times (plus taking a podium spot in another Tour) and then devoting your life to raising money for cancer research and cancer patients = character.

Lance takes a lot of crap, but I'd love an opportunity to meet the man and say thanks myself.

BL

spiderman
10-30-2010, 09:44 AM
I prepared a note and gift for lance that I held on to
...At no time during the course of the day
Did it seem appropriate to burden him with it.
I did ride llew and had no trouble keeping up
For more:
www.cyclingthelakes.blogspot.com