PDA

View Full Version : OT: Snip, snip ... bye-bye gall bladder

RABikes2
10-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Early this Thursday morning, I will be at the hospital to have my gall bladder taken out. It shouldn't be a big deal and they said I'd be coming home that day. I've been having different issues and a few major attacks for at least 9 months, however, I didn't know it was the gall bladder since the attack/pain would eventually stop, I'd question myself "was it really that bad?", then I'd tell myself not to whine, and didn't go to the doc. After the third episode, of course with my anal behavior, I said to myself "well, if you have another episode, you're calling the doctor". Well, two Sunday's ago, I had a bad attack that lasted over 17 hours, so the next day I had an ultrasound which showed my gall bladder was bad. The doc stated the test showed it's been bad for a long time (years). I believe he said the wall of a gall bladder that is normal is 1mm and 3mm is considered thick. The wall of mine is 7mm, so snip, snip and get that thing out of me! The doc says I'm going to feel a lot better.

The surgeon also stated I'd be able to ride my bike within a few days. However, I'm not supposed to lift anything heavy for three weeks and that is going to be a huge challenge to arrange my schedule since one of my jobs is I'm a licensed massage therapist doing in-home and in-business care. My table weighs 40 lbs. Some of my clients will be sure to get my table in for me, but there are a few that would be unable to help, so there lies a challenge. I'm sure by the time those appointments are here, I'll hopefully have worked something out.

So, I won't lift anything heavy for a few weeks, probably won't ride until next Tuesday and that's only if I'm up to it, and if I don't feel up to going to work (at the bike shop) the day after surgery, I won't go. Any other advice from those who know?

Thanks in advance!

RA

Peter B
10-26-2010, 11:34 PM
Hope you heal quickly RA! If CA wasn't CLEAR across the country from FL I'd be glad to schlep your table about in exchange for a rub here and there.

I'm sure you'll be back at the epic rides in no time, so post 'em up!

All the best,

Peter

Steve in SLO
10-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Hi RA,
Best of luck...you'll feel better afterwards for sure.
Any possibility of using a hand truck (inelegant but efficient) or mounting some wheels to the table to get it around?

weisan
10-26-2010, 11:51 PM
RA-pal, take this as an opportunity to "slow down and re-group..." ;)

Hope everything goes well.

rwsaunders
10-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Ritaann....tell the truth...rather than buy a new set of wheels, you're just trying to save weight through the healthcare system. Seriously, rest and be safe.

William
10-27-2010, 06:10 AM
We're thinking of you Cuz! Best of luck!!!

Cuz William

PS: Can I have the Jar. :D ;)

Smiley
10-27-2010, 06:14 AM
Get well soon RA, hope everything goes super well for u on this surgery.

RABikes2
10-27-2010, 07:07 AM
Peter:
You are a sweetie, and if you were here, I'd take you up on your offer. If/when I come to your part of CA, hopefully for a ride :D , there's a massage in it for you.

Steve:
I did consider a dolly made for massage tables, but I'd still have to lift the table out of the back of my Jeep and then lift it back into the Jeep. Also, a few clients work or live where I have to carry the table up one or two flights of narrow steps and it's difficult enough carrying the table must less trying to manuveur it on a dolly. My thoughts were it would be more physically challenging with a dolly then. I'm still going to look into it more though. Thanks!

Weisan-pal, that is great advice, which I plan to take it easy through the weekend. I'm looking forward to a few great naps! P.S. Please send a note about the family, haven't had an update in ages!

Too funny Bob ... I did think of that! Heck, a gram saved here and there adds up! ;)

Thank you Cuz! Of course you can have the jar ... relatives share!

I appreciate the thoughts, Smiley, thanks!

znfdl
10-27-2010, 07:53 AM
RA, lets hope for an uneventful and fast recovery....

etu
10-27-2010, 09:06 AM
main risk of heavy lifting soon after your operation is that you'll cause spearation in the deep layers of your wound and develop a hernia. the one at the highest risk is the one around your belly button. it actually takes 6 weeks before your tissues are healed up to its maximum potential (90% of the originial). 3 weeks is ok since the hole is fairly small. since the ability to lift your massage table is going to be important the long run, i would not take a chance. it's not worth the risk since you'd end up needing another operation. good luck.

palincss
10-27-2010, 09:14 AM
You're apt to feel weak for far longer than they will tell you. They told me "No problem, you'll take the Metro home and be at work on Monday," and it was true -- but what they didn't say was, for the next several months I felt as though a newborn kitten could have beat me arm wrestling. It may be laparoscopic but as far as your body is concerned, it's surgery and it's going to take a while to fully get over it.

gone
10-27-2010, 10:37 AM
A friend of mine coincidentally had our gall bladders removed within a few days of each other, both laproscopically. I took the "no heavy lifting" to heart, he didn't. I was fine and pretty much able to do normal activities within about a week to ten days. He went through (quoting him) "the seven levels of hell" and his recovery was much longer.

Take it easy, it's surgery but you should bounce back quickly. Make other arrangements for the 40 lb table, especially for the first couple of weeks.

gasman
10-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Listen to etu, palincss and ghsmith54

You need to give yourself time to recover and heal. Everyone is different but taking it easy early on seems to help long term recovery in my friends who have had surgery, myself included. Moving a 40 lb massage table isn't a good idea until your surgeon gives you the OK. Most of my surgeon buddies say at least 4 weeks and 6 is better.

sc53
10-27-2010, 12:54 PM
RA, best of luck to you for your surgery and recovery. I am having hand surgery (for trigger finger) in a couple of weeks myself. Please listen to the advice about the lifting! Could you possibly hire an assistant for a few weeks to help you with the appts that require you to bring your own table and cart it upstairs? Or could those clients visit you at home instead of vice versa for the next few weeks? Take care of yourself!

Dlevy05
10-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Hey there, I feel a necessity to chime in with a few things I've learned the hard way.

1. Have you ever had surgery before? Make sure that you are not allergic to the anesthesia they will give you in any way shape or form. HMO's like Kaiser don't like doing this test, because most people are fine with the cheapest cocktail they're given, but I wasn't and it'll be a painful recovery if you wind up having a reaction, even a mild one.

2. Having the surgery should be a simple process. Life after the surgery seems to have varying degrees of ease. Doctors don't really know why, but I have a hunch. As you may already know, it is the liver that produces bile and the gallbladder that stores it.

My hunch is that people that have an easy time eating all foods after their surgery, most likely have liver that is able to excrete larger amounts of bile more easily. Those with a liver that doesn't excrete large amounts of bile (or a liver that takes a while to respond), most likely will have a harder time digesting fatty foods.

Have you had a liver functions test? This may be a good indicator of what life will be like after your surgery.

3. Also, I have just recently started taking 2mg of L-Glutamine daily, to help rebuild my stomach and intestinal lining. What I've just found out, is that this same compound helps create growth hormones, which promote muscle growth. Body builders apparently take this as well. Also, it is supposed to aid people during their recovery from surgeries. I'd say it's definitely worth looking into taking after any surgery.

Regardless of what you chose to take from this, I wish you all the best, and may you have a fast and complete recovery.

BCS
10-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Best of luck with surgery. Don't rush the recovery.

Bruce

spiderman
10-27-2010, 02:18 PM
but be advised...can have its complications...
as long as your intraoperative cholangiogram is clear
you should be in great shape.
the two most common things i see in fall-out from this surgery:
1) post op incisional hernias from overdoing it right away
2) post cholecystectomy syndrome...2 to 52 weeks after surgery
let your doctor know if you start having steatorrhea!

gone
10-27-2010, 05:38 PM
steatorrhea!

I don't even know what the heck that is, maybe I'm having it right now :D

Off to google.....

Edit: OK, been to google, don't think I'm having it right now :D Don't wanna have it, ever.

SPOKE
10-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Hope all goes well RA.
speedy recovery too :)

tkbike
10-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Do take Spidermans advice and don't overdo it to soon. I learned the hard way after having five incisional hernias after two open abdominal surgeries in the past two years. Take it easy!!!!!!

RABikes2
10-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Thank you for the recovery wishes, I do appreciate the good thoughts, advice, and wise input.

The doc did explain the risk of a hernia from heavy lifting too soon after the surgery, but from what is being said here, his stated three weeks really doesn't seem to be enough healing time.

There really hasn't been much bad experience with what I eat except with lactose products - cheese and dairy items can sometimes be a bad thing. I just thought I was lactose intolerant and dealt with it by taking lactose pills. Sometimes they'd work and sometimes they wouldn't. I do eat fairly healthy most of the time, fresh vegetables, fruit, and lean meat or fish, and I really couldn't say there was any one type of food triggering the attacks. No other tests have been done.

I guess if I'm concerned about anything, it's the anesthesia process. I suck at it and from past surgery experiences (years ago - two knee surgeries, three hand surgeries, appendix done laproscopically), I'd have a hard time coming out of it, and when I did, within a short period of time, I'd be very ill (barf bag, please) for hours. I've been reassured the knockout drugs are better now and the docs will be sure to ward this off from the start.

I'm usually extremely healthy and take no meds, but had to have some minor surgery done two months ago and twilight drugs were used. Apparently I kept moving around and they had to keep giving me more, but the anesthesiologist took precautions (from the history I told her prior to the surgery) and there were no issues with illness afterward. I woke up fine and actually went out and had a light dinner that night. I was off my bike for three weeks, worked with my personal trainer 4 - 5 times a week and when I got back on the bike, it was like I didn't miss a beat. Actually, I was biking strong and felt awesome.

Thank you again for the good advice and input. You've made me reconsider the time frame with the lifting of my massage table. Unfortunately, in both my massage business and at the bike shop, if I don't work, there's no income and being single, I need to be responsible. The brain is racing with thoughts and ideas running through it right now. I've got a little bit of time before the next massage appointments to come up with something.

Thank you ... you're the best!

sc53: I hope your hand surgery goes well. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

chuckroast
10-27-2010, 09:53 PM
I don't have much to add to this except best wishes for speedy recovery and that my wife had her gall bladder removed back in the '80's and since then, she's found that she could eat darn near anything with no consequences.

Ken Robb
10-27-2010, 10:08 PM
I think you may be very pleasantly surprised and find that most of your loyal clientele will be happy to come to you at a central location so you don't have to move a heavy table or be unable to treat them.

gasman
10-27-2010, 11:05 PM
RA-

There are great anesthetic drugs nowadays-just let them know your history and you should have a much better experience. After practicing for 23 years I've seen some changes that make it safer and a better experience for my patients.
Best of luck with the surgery and recovery.

scrubadub
10-28-2010, 12:02 AM
I'd take it easy the first few days. Try to get up and walk if you can within a day or two, don't lounge around in bed all day. But don't push it too hard either. Laparoscopic surgery results in small incisions and generally faster recovery but your body will know that it had surgery.

I've heard surgeons quote anywhere from 2-4 weeks rest after lap choles. If you have a little diarrhea for the first 6 weeks don't stress about it. Let your body get used to the missing gallbladder. It will, don't worry. I second gasman's opinion, let your anesthesiologist know your past history and they'll take care of you.

Good luck to you, you'll do great.

spiderman
10-28-2010, 08:50 AM
The most common thing I see for people who truly have
The sickest/most diseased gall bladders
...When they come out of surgery and I see them in recovery
As they are coming out of anesthesia...
They feel great and feel like their bodies are suddenly normal!
I have a feeling that's exactly how you are feeling right about now!
All the details will work out for you--
---one pedal stroke at a time, friend!

RABikes2
10-29-2010, 11:16 AM
It was a rough day and not what I expected, but the good thing ... no barf bag was needed! My neighbor dropped me off at home around 4:00 in the afternoon. Today is much better and I am very optimistic about tomorrow. ;)

Thank you so much for the good advice and kind words. I understand now, good advice given for no heavy lifting for a few weeks.

Thinking positive and knowing things will be great! Hugs to all.

RA

Keith A
11-10-2010, 10:50 AM
RA -- Just thinking about you and hoping that your recovery is progressing nicely :)

jeo99
11-10-2010, 12:57 PM
RABikes2,
Good luck with your recovery! Just listen to Everything the doctor said and you will be just fine and on the bike in no time. Good time of year to do this. I am a little older than you and had my gall bladder removed when I was just thirty. They did not use the lap holes as today. They cut me from top to bottom as my gall bladder was not positioned as with most people. Anyway, a little adjustment in diet and I was good to go in a few weeks. Today's surgery is not as intrusive. You will be just fine!

:beer:

soulspinner
11-11-2010, 06:26 AM
Well wishes 4 a quick recovery. Rubba down.................

Pete Serotta
11-11-2010, 07:08 AM
We all are :banana: :banana: for your recovery (and trip to CA) PETE

dave thompson
11-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Love ya RA! You should be doing your first century about now, no? :banana:

RABikes2
11-12-2010, 12:07 AM
You all are wonderful, thank you for checking in on my recovery. It hasn't been the easiest of times, but with each day and each week, things are looking better. Amazing how much the body is capable of repairing itself in just two weeks.

Unfortunately, even though I wasn't supposed to, I had to return to work within days after surgery so at least I'd have income coming in from my part-time job at the shop. Being self-employed (and needing the income), I also did two half hour massage appointments the first week, days apart, on an older client, which would normally be easy work. There was already a low portable massage table at the location and I was able to sit when on both sides of the table to do this particular work. I was beat after just a half hour both times.

This past Wednesday was my first hour massage on a client who has been with me for 12 years and is like family. A neighbor loaded my table in the Jeep the night before, one of his employees was waiting for me when I arrived, unloaded the table, I did the hour work, and then the table was loaded back in my Jeep. Only bad thing was I had to go back to the shop afterward and work a few hours until closing.

It's funny how every day, I've known when it was getting close to 4:00 because that's been about the limit of my energy ... I've wanted a nap by then. On purpose, I did not schedule any other hour appointments this week and next week I have a few scheduled, but carefully spaced apart. As I said though, every day is an improvement, so I'm optimistic for how I'll feel over the next few weeks.

I've been with my trainer three times each week, for 1/2 hour sessions, and the workouts have been "sissy" (my word) workouts, but they are keeping me moving and good for my head. I rode my bike 17 miles this past Sunday (11 days post surgery) and it felt so good to be outside, riding my bike, and feeling the fresh air. I spun the entire time, no exertion, straining, or big gears. There is a steep hill that I have to come up right before the ride ends at my driveway. I have a triple on the bike, went as low as I could, took my time, and spun easily up with no strain. I felt like a new woman just doing that little ride. Four days later (yesterday), I did the same ride of 17 miles in the same manner. I've also been taking my dogs on walks in the woods.

Honestly, for the work they did, which a surgery nurse explained to me a week after surgery, recovery hasn't been too bad. I'm improving more now too, since I started taking Advil on a regular basis for the inflammation. It's also funny to me now to realize that before surgery, what I sometimes accepted as normal feelings after eating.

I see the surgeon for the first follow-up and stitches taken out next Monday.

Thank you again for asking.

RA

Peter B
11-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the update Ritaann. It's great to hear how you're improving. Take it one day at a time and you'll be back to your monster rides before you know it!

Peter