PDA

View Full Version : noobish winter clothing question

AngryScientist
10-26-2010, 08:33 PM
i assume that cycling tights without chamois are cut such that they fit correctly over bib shorts, correct?

RADaines
10-26-2010, 08:37 PM
They should, yes. All of the tights that I have used stretch a lot so there has never been an issue.

AngryScientist
10-26-2010, 08:48 PM
thanks, thats kind of what i figured. i have a few sets of bib knickers, but i want to pick up a set of tights that can go over my very comfortable bibs. sounds like i'm in business.

recommended brands anyone??

thwart
10-26-2010, 09:17 PM
I like Super Roubaix fabric with zippered cuffs, maker is not as important. Hincapie does a nice job, and there's a reseller on eBay you may want to check out.

ahumblecycler
10-26-2010, 09:27 PM
I use to wear a Cannondale tight over my bib shorts before opting for bib tights. I now use the tights for running.

I did not like have the drawstring of the tight; one of the things I liked when I went from short to bib short was getting rid of the waist feeling.

Dekonick
10-26-2010, 09:36 PM
I use to wear a Cannondale tight over my bib shorts before opting for bib tights. I now use the tights for running.

I did not like have the drawstring of the tight; one of the things I liked when I went from short to bib short was getting rid of the waist feeling.

+1

Take the plunge and buy a pair of bib tights. I have several bib tights, bib knickers and ONE pair of PI tights. They all work for their intended purpose, but I find that bib tights do the job better than bibs + tights. If you plan on riding in the cold (I do that a fair bit - nothing extreme... an hour or 2 at most) a good pair of bib tights that are fleece lined AND a pair of winter shoes will work miracles. Lake has several options for shoes...

I know this is beyond what you asked...

rwsaunders
10-26-2010, 09:58 PM
If you own some bibs/shorts that have a heavier weight fabric, you might try knee or leg warmers for the cooler weather as well. I've found that I prefer the the warmers in lieu of the tights, as they are a bit less restrictive, and can be removed when the temperature begins to rise.

I start wearing the bib tights when it starts to drop below 35 degrees or so, and I did invest in a nice set of Northwave Winter boots a few years ago, per a web sale tip from BBDave.

JD Smith
10-26-2010, 11:59 PM
i assume that cycling tights without chamois are cut such that they fit correctly over bib shorts, correct?

I'm not sure about tights without straps, but I suspect most manufacturers version of chamois-less bib tights are simply the same as that with chamois.
It's more economical to buy one pair of bib tights without chamois and simply wear them with your regular summer bibs, rather than having to keep rewashing a pair of dedicated bib tights with chamois. It's also more cost effective to buy a pair of leg warmers to wear with your regular summer bibs, although your upper thighs and hips will not be as warm as with a pair of bib tights with the more insulating "Roubaix" fabric.
If you do buy a pair of bib tights or leg warmers, I think it makes more sense to get a pair with heavier "Roubaix" fabric, rather than get a pair with regular thin lycra fabric. If the weather's too warm for "Roubaix" fabric, you could just as well wear shorts and apply embrocation (http://www.madalchemy.com/products.htm) to your lower legs to keep them warm.

AngryScientist
10-27-2010, 06:45 AM
i appreciate all the advice folks. i'll see whats out there.

i am definitely going to see what this embrocation rage is all about this year too.

RADaines
10-27-2010, 06:58 AM
It will take a little trial and error until you figure out what works best for you. Everyone's cold tolerance and comfort requirements are different. I only put on tights if the temps are around freezing, otherwise I prefer leg warmers. I have a lot of pairs of bib shorts so I am reluctant to invest in bib tights as well. A lot will depend upon your specific riding conditions and preferences, such as weather conditions and ride length.

Steelman
10-27-2010, 03:06 PM
I carefully cut the threads and remove the insert from all my tights. They work much better with bib shorts underneath* or even sometimes over top. *Especially tights with wind blocking fabric on the front. Gives a bit of extra insulation too.