PDA

View Full Version : inguinal hernia

cap111
10-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Hello out there!!

I noticed a lump below my waist line & right above my manhood. I went to the doctor and he said good call! You have a inguinal hernia, I have an ultrasound set up on the 4th of Nov & my consultation with the surgen on the 9th. (this sux!! just had my rotator cuff fixed back in March) Has anyone had this surgery done before? What to expect, what type of recovery time?

Thank you for all the input.

DRB
10-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Had both sides done at same time in the late 70's. I was back to work falling big timber on the CA/OR border two weeks later (not many jobs more physical than that). It was painful post-surgery to even sneeze or laugh but it healed very quick and I never had a problem there again. I'd have to bet the docs are even better at the procedure now. Get her done. Heal quick.
DRB

rnhood
10-26-2010, 06:43 PM
I've had it twice, once on each side. Its really not that big a deal. I had real surgery (not laparoscopic), and I asked not to have any screen or material put in there. So they did some cutting and stitching to close and strengthen the wall, and it all healed up well. Its been 20 years since my last one and no problems at all. You can be back to work in only days, and on your bike in three weeks but they will not want you to do any lifting. Recovery is even quicker if you choose the laparoscopic approach which I don't recommend.

These type hernias are very, very common. You will likely incur another before your time is up.

cap111
10-26-2010, 07:23 PM
I've had it twice, once on each side. Its really not that big a deal. I had real surgery (not laparoscopic), and I asked not to have any screen or material put in there. So they did some cutting and stitching to close and strengthen the wall, and it all healed up well. Its been 20 years since my last one and no problems at all. You can be back to work in only days, and on your bike in three weeks but they will not want you to do any lifting. Recovery is even quicker if you choose the laparoscopic approach which I don't recommend.

These type hernias are very, very common. You will likely incur another before your time is up.

Why don't you recommend the laparoscopic procedure? Is it because they don't do as well a job at patching it?

bob the nailer
10-26-2010, 07:46 PM

Please don't take advice based on someone who had surgery 20 years ago. While there are many ways to skin a cat, and to fix a hernia, certainly almost all surgeons( I am a urologist) recommend using some kind of mesh. Fixing a hernia without mesh requires attaching structures together that were never intended to be together, placing them under stress, more likely to fail over time. Laparoscopic vs open is a lot about surgeons preference and experience especially in unilateral(one sided) hernias. You can only be back at work in a manner of days if you sit at a desk and have someone to drive you to work. And if your swelling is above your manhood and not in your manhood, likely an ultrasound is a waste of time and money. See the surgeon first.

BumbleBeeDave
10-26-2010, 07:49 PM
I had three hernias when I was only a toddler then another in 1997. They used the mesh in 97 and I've been really happy with the results.

Just keep in mind that the tissue that grows into the mesh is scar tissue, so for up to a year afterward every time you move in some new way you may have some stinging/twinges as the scar tissue rips a TINY little bit. It would have been very disconcerting to me if the doc hadn't warned me it would happen.

Rate of recurrence with the mesh implant is VERY low--something like 1%.

BBD

Steve in SLO
10-26-2010, 08:40 PM
Please don't take advice based on someone who had surgery 20 years ago. While there are many ways to skin a cat, and to fix a hernia, certainly almost all surgeons( I am a urologist) recommend using some kind of mesh.
Bob,
I recall (fuzzy, many years ago during my training) that using mesh may prevent the patient from having certain type of treatment for prostate CA in the future. Am I remembering this right? Has this changed?

thwart
10-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Bob,
I recall (fuzzy, many years ago during my training) that using mesh may prevent the patient from having certain type of treatment for prostate CA in the future. Am I remembering this right? Has this changed?

Yeah, that whole issue is getting a lot of play with folks I see.

Agree that the u/s sounds like imaging for imaging's sake... or for the $$$. Well, I guess it's only an u/s... so $. ;)

cap111
10-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Please don't take advice based on someone who had surgery 20 years ago. While there are many ways to skin a cat, and to fix a hernia, certainly almost all surgeons( I am a urologist) recommend using some kind of mesh. Fixing a hernia without mesh requires attaching structures together that were never intended to be together, placing them under stress, more likely to fail over time. Laparoscopic vs open is a lot about surgeons preference and experience especially in unilateral(one sided) hernias. You can only be back at work in a manner of days if you sit at a desk and have someone to drive you to work. And if your swelling is above your manhood and not in your manhood, likely an ultrasound is a waste of time and money. See the surgeon first.

Thank you for the input, I have to do the ultrasound due to the insurance company.

I will write another post once I see the doc.

gasman
10-26-2010, 10:33 PM
I agree with Bob. Surgery has come a long ways in 20 years and I don't think I've seen a surgeon fix a hernia without mesh in many years. The mesh is used to decrease the stress on the surrounding tissues and has been shown to prevent recurrence. I had mine fixed lapraoscopically with mesh about 10 years ago on a Friday and was at work Monday morning. The choice of open or lapraoscopic depends on surgeon experience and preference, they both work fine. To say you shouldn't have one approach or another just means the person has their own ideas not based on medical literature.

etu
10-27-2010, 08:40 AM
i'll start by saying that make sure you have a good conversation with your surgeon so you understand the risks ans benefits since getting medical/surgical advice over the internet can be risky, but...

usual recommendation is for unilateral hernias are open repairs. there was a very large and well designed clinical trial done several years ago comparing laparoscopic vs open hernia repairs and the recurrence rates was about double for laparoscopic group when compared to the open group. the caveat was that it was very much surgeon dependent - experienced laparoscopic hernia surgeons had very low recurrence,
open hernia repairs are routine basic procedures that all general surgeons commonly do. unless you hernia is a size of a softball (which some can be!), you have an overwhelming likelihood you'll do very well.

it's funny but surgeons have had the same debate about lap vs open hernia repairs as bicyclist have about stuff like electronic shifting! :p
only difference is there are actual reliable data on which to base your decision.

good luck

gasman
10-27-2010, 11:03 AM
it's funny but surgeons have had the same debate about lap vs open hernia repairs as bicyclist have about stuff like electronic shifting! :p
only difference is there are actual reliable data on which to base your decision.

good luck

This is very true. Outcomes are very much surgeon dependent and all the surgeons at our hospital have a very low recurrance rate with either option-they are all very good at the approach they use. Follow what your surgeon reccomends as that is what he or she does best.
Like campy or shimano-it's all good.

Bud_E
10-27-2010, 01:03 PM
I had both sides open mesh. It took at least a week or two before I could walk around without much pain and at least 4 or 5 weeks ( can't recall exactly ) before I could resume cycling. Ice was what helped the most - have plenty of ice bags in the freezer ready to go. As Dave mentioned above, there is some "pulling" sensation with the mesh for months afterward but it's no big deal. No other issues in my case.

Do a search - there have been at least a few threads on this subject.

bob the nailer
10-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Bob,
If you have a laparoscopic repair and the surgeon puts in a large piece of mesh, then yes it can make prostate cancer surgery more difficult. The laparoscopic robotic prostatectomy or the open retropubic prostatectomy could be more difficult. A typical open hernia repair places the mesh in an area where it would not interfere with prostate cancer surgery. However surgery is certainly not the only option for prostate cancer, radiation therapy has multiple options and the new proton therapy may open that up even more, although cost is a major issue. Thats a whole new off topic topic for sure.

maddog17
10-30-2010, 12:18 PM
i had mine done a few years back. i had the same one repaired 3 times!! the first doc did #'s 1 & 2. first one failed hence the second one. when the second failed i went to a new doc. i got the mesh plug deal in all of them. there is a failure rate and that's important to remember. i would suggest you talk to the surgeon and see what he plans on doing and ask any and all questions you have. what the second doc did that the first didn't was to sew all around the patch. he did it like you would a baseball. the first guy didn't and he used a melting suture that may have been a bit too thin. the second doc went with a thicker and permenant suture because of the first two failures. as far as recovery, mine were due to work so i was on worker comp. i took the full 2 months to heal properly and to get a mini vacation from work!! another thing too is to pop stool softner pills like candy, last thing you want to do is strain at all. from a pain stand point, all three i got cut open. the first one hurt the most but nothing really bad. tylenol worked fine for me, the oxycodone killed me. i think the key is to find a good surgeon who cares about your surgery. i never got that feeling from the first doc. the second doc really went into some great detail and went thru the surgery for me from start to finish and on the follow up he did the same.

bob the nailer
10-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Thank you for the input, I have to do the ultrasound due to the insurance company.

I will write another post once I see the doc.
The more I think about that statement the more it bothers me. If what you have truly turns out to be an inguinal hernia, that any self respecting third year med student could diagnose, an ultrasound has no place in the diagnosis of this. And for the insurance company to require it is just a small example of how "managed care" is such a ridiculous oxymoron and how it intrudes in the doctor patient relationship, and often increases rather than controls costs. I deal every day with doing things a certain way or at a certain place because the insurance company demands it. To put it in precise medical terminology, it sucks.

gasman
10-30-2010, 04:56 PM
The more I think about that statement the more it bothers me. If what you have truly turns out to be an inguinal hernia, that any self respecting third year med student could diagnose, an ultrasound has no place in the diagnosis of this. And for the insurance company to require it is just a small example of how "managed care" is such a ridiculous oxymoron and how it intrudes in the doctor patient relationship, and often increases rather than controls costs. I deal every day with doing things a certain way or at a certain place because the insurance company demands it. To put it in precise medical terminology, it sucks.

I agree-but I have seen one surgeon from another hospital diagnose a hernia and find out when they got in there wasn't one. It does happen but this was a below average surgeon.
Still I agree the majority (99%) of the time it's a waste of time and money to perform an ultrasound.

sokyroadie
10-30-2010, 05:58 PM
I had the right side (by far the most common) done in March on a Thursday and back to work on Monday. It was the open surgery with mesh, I was able to drive with no restrictions as soon as I felt like it. I knew I had a hernia but put it off for 4 years - but got lucky and had no issues.

Jeff

cap111
11-10-2010, 07:08 PM
I had the right side (by far the most common) done in March on a Thursday and back to work on Monday. It was the open surgery with mesh, I was able to drive with no restrictions as soon as I felt like it. I knew I had a hernia but put it off for 4 years - but got lucky and had no issues.

Jeff

I went to the surgen today, he was pissed off that I had a ultra sound done. He said what a freaking waste of money and time. He went on to say that with a hernia you will actually find the tear when you are opened up. Well, I have it set up for Wed the 17th. He said they do a small insesion groin and will use mesh net.

I will let you know how it goes/kind of scared but I guess thats normal.

rnhood
11-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Don't worry, there isn't much to it. The mesh probably makes it even easier, sort of takes the skill out. I'm glad I don't have a screen in my stomach wall but, chances are it won't break down for a good while ;) .

thwart
11-10-2010, 08:00 PM
I went to the surgen today, he was pissed off that I had a ultra sound done. He said what a freaking waste of money and time. Our health care system at work. My guess is that the bean counters wanted some objective test that showed the hernia before they'd go ahead and pay for the (by far more expensive) surgery. They sometimes won't take the opinion of your regular doctor or the surgeon regarding their findings on physical exam.

Crazy.

cap111
11-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Don't worry, there isn't much to it. The mesh probably makes it even easier, sort of takes the skill out. I'm glad I don't have a screen in my stomach wall but, chances are it won't break down for a good while ;) .

Thank you for the words,

Thats what my wife said, she said it wont be as painfull as your rotator cuff repair.

GoJavs
11-10-2010, 09:28 PM
I had the double done back in '04. Mesh's in there. Rarely feel anything anymore. Recovery for me was about a week/week and a half.

Only piece of advise I can give you is:

DONT FORGET TO TAKE YOUR MEDS!

If you forget or decide to tough it out, you'll see stars :(

etu
11-10-2010, 10:49 PM
mesh repair is the standard of care.
your recurrence rate will be lower.
ultrasound was a waste your time, but what's done is done.
good luck.
you should expect to do well.

cap111
11-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Ok hernia surgery is complete. Holy COW!!! hurts like a S.O.B!!! I'm walking around, just really sore. I hope to never go thru this again.

Well the doctor says no riding for 6weeks.

Take care.

Christian

Bud_E
11-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Ok hernia surgery is complete. Holy COW!!! hurts like a S.O.B!!! I'm walking around, just really sore. I hope to never go thru this again.

Take care.

Christian

Ice ( and painkillers ) is your friend.

Scott Shire
11-18-2010, 08:58 PM
My enormous lump of a hernia would mostly show up after a hard ride. After a particularly fierce session at Brian Piccolo Velodrome, I still felt great, and decided to ride around for about 90 mins. By the time I got back home, the lump was ENORMOUS and I couldn't get it to go back. I still postponed doing much about it since it was fine the next day, and besides a ~5500 mi/yr cyclist doesn't need to see a doctor, right? I'm in better shape than anyone I know :rolleyes:

So I did nothing, until one night some months later the pain was so intense that I made my gf drive me to the ER in the middle of the night. My bowel had wrapped itself around the hernia (or some such blockage-related issue) and I needed emergency surgery.

I waited about a month to get on the bike (after checking w/ the surgeon, of course) and that was long enough for me; I didn't go hard at all for another month.

The painkillers are meant to be taken. Don't be a hero! And lots of stool softeners, since the painkillers are binding and it hurts to, er, push. Also, bend your knees when you sneeze - otherwise :eek: ouch.

R2D2
11-19-2010, 09:08 AM

Take care.

Christian

I'm in the same situation. I have a large incission (10") from a previous abdominal surgey which starts just below my sternum and heads south to below my navel. Unfortunately I have two hernias along the scar now.
So they have to unzip me again and repair with mesh. I remember how much it hurt the first time and don't look forward to the second operation. I wanted out patient procedure, but surgeon said I'll me in the hospital bed for a good two or three days. This is so I can be hooked up to the Morphine drip and IV antibiotics (precaution for peritonitis).
Then six weeks off the bike.
YIKES.
It has bothered me some but I opted to wait to end of riding season to schedule. So my 2010 season is officially done and scheduled to get cut 12/6/10.

veloduffer
11-19-2010, 09:50 AM
I've got to get my hernia done soon and figure to do it over the winter. Any one have a recommendation for a doctor in northern NJ?

cap111
11-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Hello everyone!

1st week is over, I'm walking around better but still slow. I went out to lunch with my wife and had my first cough!! Holy s@#! I dont even want to know what it feels like to sneeze.

:beer: I just wanted to thank everyone for there input. I pray everyone has a safe a wonderful Thanksgiving with their loved ones!!!!

Christian

bob the nailer
11-23-2010, 08:10 PM
unfreaking believable. Takes the skill out? OMFG

gasman
11-23-2010, 10:49 PM
unfreaking believable. Takes the skill out? OMFG

*** ? I agree bob. A good hernia repair takes a hell of a lot of skill.

Louis
11-24-2010, 01:37 AM
I've heard it's just like designing and building a bike. How hard can that be?

RABikes2
11-24-2010, 08:11 AM
Hello everyone!

1st week is over, I'm walking around better but still slow. I went out to lunch with my wife and had my first cough!! Holy s@#! I dont even want to know what it feels like to sneeze.

:beer: I just wanted to thank everyone for there input. I pray everyone has a safe a wonderful Thanksgiving with their loved ones!!!!

Christian
Good to read you are doing better, Christian! Take it easy. Healing time will go by quickly and every week will bring you more improvement. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Ritaann

cap111
11-26-2010, 06:39 PM
I herd this is normal but I want to see if anyone else has had the same experince.

Sometimes I stand up and get a freakin painful burn wher the surgery was done. I have herd this will get less as time goes on.

any input?

gasman
11-26-2010, 08:07 PM
I herd this is normal but I want to see if anyone else has had the same experince.

Sometimes I stand up and get a freakin painful burn wher the surgery was done. I have herd this will get less as time goes on.

any input?

It'll get better-give it some time.

lemondsteel
11-27-2010, 08:49 AM
The burn is common, at least for me. Lasted months but gradually decreased. I was back on the bike about 4 weeks later but took it easy. I found the whole thing much easier than expected. Still worry about the mesh sometimes. The only thing I did was to make sure I didn/t lift anything heavy for months.

cap111
01-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Well six weeks are over and I got back on the bike. I road 20 miles not that confident yet. The area where I had the sergury still feels wierd.

I gues it will take some time.

take care everyone and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! :beer:

R2D2
01-03-2011, 05:38 AM
Well six weeks are over and I got back on the bike. I road 20 miles not that confident yet. The area where I had the sergury still feels wierd.
take care everyone and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! :beer:

FWIW I just had two abdominal surgeries repaired. I have a 8" incission from a previosu surgery. It starts below my sternum and heads south to below my
navel. Some hernias deveolped along the incision. So the entire incision was re-opened and repairs made. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just got back on the bike and am doing light easy miles.
My "area' feels a litle ackward too. Still swollen along the incision. Seems very tight if I move certain ways. I think it all fades away as time goes on.
At least the searing pain is gone.

BumbleBeeDave
01-03-2011, 06:07 AM
. . . your, uh, area will feel weird at times for quite a while to come. But don't freak out. The tissue that grows into the mesh is scar tissue and will be constantly tearing and regrowing into the gaps until an equilibrium is reached after you've moved and bent every which way that could possibly result in enough strain to tear it again.

That could literally take over a year. After my mesh repair in '97 at age 38 that's what happened to me and for that long. I would get sudden small, stinging, twinge-like pains around the area that felt much worse than they actually were. That was the tissue tearing just a little bit when I would move or stretch in a new direction. Given what you've just been through, the reflex thought may be "Aaagh! It's herniating again!"

It's not. As time goes by you will have fewer of those twinges. The surgeon told me the mesh reduces reccurrence to less than 1% and after having no less than three hernias before the age of 5 I definitely did NOT want any reccurrence!

BBD

Fixed
01-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Hello out there!!

I noticed a lump below my waist line & right above my manhood. I went to the doctor and he said good call! You have a inguinal hernia, I have an ultrasound set up on the 4th of Nov & my consultation with the surgen on the 9th. (this sux!! just had my rotator cuff fixed back in March) Has anyone had this surgery done before? What to expect, what type of recovery time?

wait till you see your private parts after .
i know a rich cat that has had one for years cat is fast on the bike and trains hard never seems to bother him
cheers