PDA

View Full Version : Should I ride?

Tom
04-26-2005, 05:21 AM
Saturday I spent installing half of a hardwood floor. I was pretty sore when I went in to work midnight to six Sunday morning. After I got home I got a couple of hours sleep before I got paged and so I decided to stay up and finish the floor so I could take the rented compressor and nailer back to the store. (Gosh, do those things work great!)

Anyway, I guess I'm not used to getting up and down from a kneeling or squatting position about 1000 times in two days or working in a crouch like that. How come floors can't be built up at a level you can work on them without hunching over? And then on Sunday I rolled out my ankle and sprained it for what must be its 15th time. Damn thing's getting loose.

So today I can't touch my legs or walk around real well. Once I get moving I'm OK, but starting up hurts my thighs like all hell for about the first twenty steps. I think I ought to go for a ride and work the crap out of there. Make sense?

Kevin
04-26-2005, 05:31 AM
Whats the problem? You are breathing, so get on the bike. At least thats what my little voice always tells me.

Kevin

cycleman_21
04-26-2005, 06:32 AM
Hmmm, floors can be tough, I do it for a living, hope you used knee pads, every year I'd swear the floors get further and further away ;) ,just do an easy spin day, you'll come right back (ibuphrofin) :D

Ron C

Too Tall
04-26-2005, 06:43 AM
Riding is a non-load bearing activity however you are dealing with lots of minor strains and pains. Spend the time stretching and go for a walk.

Ti Designs
04-26-2005, 09:41 AM
OK, first a few comments...

so I decided to stay up and finish the floor so I could take the rented compressor and nailer back to the store.

So you can install flooring, but you don't have a compressor plumbed into the house yet? I don't get that. When I got my house it was the third thing I put in - electrical system, water, compressed air... The toilet brush mounted on the impact wrench was a bit much, but there's all sorts of things you can do with air tools around the house.

How come floors can't be built up at a level you can work on them without hunching over?

Sounds like one of those things my mother would say. She once asked where the people next door got their driveway done. I said right in front of their house...

So today I can't touch my legs or walk around real well. Once I get moving I'm OK, but starting up hurts my thighs like all hell for about the first twenty steps. I think I ought to go for a ride and work the crap out of there. Make sense?

It's not crap that's in there, so you're not going to be able to work it out. A suggestion would be to go for a SPIN - keep it in the smallest gear you got and make your legs go round-e-round. The blood flow will aid recovery, the lack of tension on the muscles woun't do any harm, and at least your ankle will be laterally stabalized from the shoe/pedal combination. To be honest, I would be more concerned with the ankle than the muscle soreness.

BumbleBeeDave
04-26-2005, 11:23 AM
<< . . . there's all sorts of things you can do with air tools around the house.>>>

That'll be enough, Ti-Man . . . I'm already having very disturbing mental images and have no more meds with me here at the office.

BBDave

bcm119
04-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Some days I feel like I have an air compressor plumbed into my body.