PDA

View Full Version : new lebron nike spot

Climb01742
10-26-2010, 06:12 AM
the rehabilitation of lebron's image begins. a try anyway.

thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdtejCR413c&feature=player_embedded

ahumblecycler
10-26-2010, 06:28 AM
Blah blah blah ... I am worth millions because all of "you" watch and buy my stuff BUT while I want "you" to imitate me DO NOT expect to get any values from me ... blah blah blah ... buy my stuff.

Lifelover
10-26-2010, 06:45 AM
I love it. I'm glad for him and I'm glad that he gave us a team to hate. This kind of thing is great for a sport.

Like him or not, the boy has got swag.

johnnymossville
10-26-2010, 06:53 AM
Lebron who?

joelh
10-26-2010, 07:01 AM
Lebron who?
+1,000,000

Bob Loblaw
10-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Meh.

slowgoing
10-26-2010, 08:42 AM
I could care less about his products or image.

However, I love that he and his buddies put their own team together - shifted the power from the owners to the players and guaranteed that he is on a potentially conteding team with good teammates.

RPS
10-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Beyond TV commercials I have never seen him play at all. I can’t even remember the last time I watched an entire game of basketball -- just not my sport. Besides, ads with “famous” people done for big bucks don’t carry much credibility for me. If it were personal and not for pay it would be different.

Climb, the bottom line is that whether rehabilitation or not is irrelevant to me.

johnnymossville
10-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Now if Nike could just find other fallen heroes like Lance and Tiger they'd have a real marketing campaign on their hands,... oh wait.

sounds like they are becoming a one trick pony.

norcalbiker
10-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Now if Nike could just find other fallen heroes like Lance and Tiger they'd have a real marketing campaign on their hands,... oh wait.

sounds like they are becoming a one trick pony.

I thought that was Kobe. :D

norcalbiker
10-26-2010, 11:01 AM
In seriousness, I don't really care much for major sports any longer. I really think a lot of major sports players gone over their head. Just my opinion.

Charles M
10-26-2010, 12:13 PM
DID THE ADD WORK?

Are we now reading it on a bike forum...?

RPS
10-26-2010, 12:26 PM
DID THE ADD WORK?

Are we now reading it on a bike forum...?
That's not working in my book. :no:

Does the add make Nike money? Whether we read it or not on a bike forum doesn't mean we will go out and buy Nike shoes or other gear.

soul survivor
10-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Great commercial! Now that the choice has been made, he needs to WIN a championship -- that's the only thing fans (or Lebron) cares about.

Don't diss hoops -- it's a great game -- along with hockey, football and biking! Just watch tonight!

PSR

rice rocket
10-26-2010, 01:52 PM
the rehabilitation of lebron's image begins. a try anyway.

thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdtejCR413c&feature=player_embedded
Despite his handling of his actions that were not personable, I don't see why his move was more chastised than any other contract signed by a free agent. Cleveland fans are just bitter that their city is dying and all their sports teams are terrible (except last Sunday somehow).

thwart
10-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Cleveland fans are just bitter that their city is dying and all their sports teams are terrible (except last Sunday somehow). Hey, I've been to Cleveland... lighten up... :rolleyes:

I'd agree with those who find pro sports about 98% less compelling than they were 20 yrs ago. Good to hear it's not just me.

wc1934
10-26-2010, 05:55 PM
I love it. I'm glad for him and I'm glad that he gave us a team to hate. This kind of thing is great for a sport.

Like him or not, the boy has got swag.

First loss tonight - go C's

cadence90
10-27-2010, 12:28 AM
First loss tonight - go C's
Good call!

First win tonight - go Lakers!

Regarding the "redemption" ad...enough already.
"It's like watching a movie. Just when you think it couldn't get any stupider, it gets more stupid." - C. Barkley.

johnnymossville
10-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Hey, I've been to Cleveland... lighten up... :rolleyes:

I'd agree with those who find pro sports about 98% less compelling than they were 20 yrs ago. Good to hear it's not just me.

agree on it being less compelling.

SamIAm
10-27-2010, 08:00 AM
I plead ignorance on what Lebron's crime was/is, but these Nike redemption commercials irritate me to the point of boycotting any and all Nike products, so from the typical commercial goal of driving products sales, it didn't work for me and from the goal of rehabilitating Lebron, I didn't know enough about him before that ad to form an opinion, but I do know that I now like him less.

So I guess that is a long winded NO, it didn't work for me.

Charles M
10-27-2010, 08:42 AM
That's not working in my book. :no:

Does the add make Nike money? Whether we read it or not on a bike forum doesn't mean we will go out and buy Nike shoes or other gear.

Dont take this the wrong way, but they dont give a toot about your book. (in fact, that could be wrong... They count on people liking and disliking Lebron and what they want is for both sides to be passionate enough to talk about it)

Nike are not narrow minded enough to think that just because 100% of the people don’t approve, that they(nike) wont still be extremely successful.

Seeing this thread here at Serotta, when Basketball isn’t exactly the hot topic at these forums, is what it is. Some will like it (see the post after yours) some will not, and everyone has their reasons and they are all valid...

But this thread is replicated in forums and in conversation in a lot of places.

Nike want exposure and to be "a topic" and this is exactly that. They understand that the haters will still hate(NOT CALLING YOU A HATER) in fact they're counting on the pissing and moaning making for conversation too, because not everyone is a hater.

They're not counting on selling to haters or the indifferent, they're touching the ones that like Lebron and the ones on the fence AND the fact that haters also perpetuate the story and the conversations is just fine...

Dave B
10-27-2010, 08:56 AM
PEZ is right on, however let me paint a different picture.

Some of you know I teach 6th graders. Not one of them cares what Bron Bron did to Cleveland. They think Miami is cool cause they like him. They know the Cavs suck now. They want to buy his shoes.

Nike's ad might illicit an emotion from you adults, but the shoes are being sold to kids, not adults. Yes adults might wear them in their YMCA/Rec league fantasy, but kids are the target. Kids don't form opinions that last...well about sneakers.

What did Lebron do that was bad. He wanted to win, so he went where he thought he would have abetter chance. He is young, Miami sounds hella better to hang out in then Cleveland. He passed up more money. The fans and owner of the cavs are as fake as the pros.

Nike will sell loads of shoes as a result of Bron. This will blow over as soon as there is the next Enquirer headline...Remember Kobe and his illicit affair in Colorado? Not as much as you used to.

Nike is trying to make Leborn edgy and capitalize on his momentum. Lebron is giving a big eff-you to the folks who gave him static. Nothing more. i do love the Charles reference though, the doughnut was great.

Folks let it go...be a fan not fanatical. Lebron doesn't care about you so don't care about him.

SamIAm
10-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Nike's ad might illicit an emotion from you adults, but the shoes are being sold to kids, not adults. Yes adults might wear them in their YMCA/Rec league fantasy, but kids are the target.

I don't doubt any of this, but at least in my household, I decide what the kids can buy and what they can't. My 12 year old is an avid golfer and I told him that when he was able to break 45 from the blue tees, I would buy him a new set of irons. He would really love to have some Nike irons, but based on the lame Nike Tiger Woods commercial, he knows that Nike ain't going to happen (at least until he's 18 and has his own money) and he is ok with that. I want him to learn early to vote with his $. I don't care whether they are role models or not, I want him to know that character matters and as I said before I'm not familiar with the Lebron incident and therefore make no presumptions about whether his actions fall into this category, but Tiger Wood's actions sure do.

Dave B
10-27-2010, 12:45 PM
I don't doubt any of this, but at least in my household, I decide what the kids can buy and what they can't. My 12 year old is an avid golfer and I told him that when he was able to break 45 from the blue tees, I would buy him a new set of irons. He would really love to have some Nike irons, but based on the lame Nike Tiger Woods commercial, he knows that Nike ain't going to happen (at least until he's 18 and has his own money) and he is ok with that. I want him to learn early to vote with his $. I don't care whether they are role models or not, I want him to know that character matters and as I said before I'm not familiar with the Lebron incident and therefore make no presumptions about whether his actions fall into this category, but Tiger Wood's actions sure do.

Man I dig that and good for you. However I see the opposite daily so my reference is slightly different. wish I had more parents like this.

SEABREEZE
10-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Bottom line, Heat lost to Boston, and Cleveland beat the Celtics.. Infairness to Boston, they went back to back days, playing Cleveland, perhaps not as fresh as they would of liked to be.

In two weeks from now Boston plays the Heat at home, In all fairness, Wade was out all preseason due to hamstring injurry in the opening pre season game, he was rusty as hell against Boston, but yesterday evening he scored over 30 against Philadelphia, AS THE ANNOUNCERS SAID, IT TOOK 1 GAME TO GET ALL THE RUST OUT, so it should be a interstig game when they meet again.

Friday will be aother great match up, as Orlando another playoff contending team plays Miami. It will be a indicator of Miami's potential this year as the team gels. In fairness to Orlando they open at home tonight, and head the next day to MIAMI to play, so its back to back days for Orlando

Say what you will about LJ, but the young man has game, every time he got the ball in BOSTON, the fans booed him, he still scored over 30, so it shows his mental toughness. I think the Nike add gave him a venue to tell everyone he made mistakes, in how he handled leaving Cleveland.

****,,, we were all young once, and made mistakes we learned from....
Part of being human...

RPS
10-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Dont take this the wrong way, but they dont give a toot about your book. (in fact, that could be wrong... They count on people liking and disliking Lebron and what they want is for both sides to be passionate enough to talk about it) .....snipped.....
Merely being a subject of discussion is not enough. The ultimate measure of success for most any company is making money – period. Nike included. That’s why they are in business; to make money. Advertising is just one cog towards that goal.

Whether the add works or not in some convoluted way by offending some people while stroking others, or whatever really goes on, is immaterial. Their ultimate goal is to make money and that will be their measure of success. Nike is not spending millions on a lebron ad campaign unless they think it will make them more than they are spending (present and future, directly and indirectly), or at least keep them from losing market share that would have cost them more than they are spending. Either way it’s all about numbers in revenue not readers.

I just happen to subscribe to the above version of the business book – corporations and businesses are primarily driven by profits, as it should be.

67-59
10-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Any press is good press, as long as they spell your name right.

I think the ad is lame, but the fact that we're talking about it on a cycling forum means it is generating exactly the kind of buzz Nike was hoping for.

JMerring
10-28-2010, 11:45 AM

off topic, but:
1. golf's a great character building game, tiger's shenanigans notwithstanding.
2. please please please encourage him to buy golf equipment from companies that know how to make it and care about the game, not from a marketing juggernaut riding the hottest pony.

bshell
10-28-2010, 12:21 PM
I sort of wonder if someone else would have eventually raised the subject on a cycling board.

My memory ain't so good but I believe the OP is (or was?) involved in the advertising business so it might be of more interest to him to gauge reactions (and understandably so). My apologies if I have this incorrect.

I have no idea what L. James did either (if anything?) because I don't follow sports. At all. I've never really gotten that whole thing.

As for buying some Nike's...Sure, if they make a shoe I like, but not because of an ad spot. I've been running in New Balance or Asics for the last 10 years and I don't think I've ever seen them run a television ad (is this possible?).

The ad itself, I found really boring. I thought Nike did a pretty cool one a while back when it was crazy soccer time, though I've not taken up soccer as of yet.

SEABREEZE
10-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Climb, some eluded the fact you are involved with advertisemet, so the question to you sir , did you have any involement with this add presented by nike.

Lifelover
10-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Merely being a subject of discussion is not enough. The ultimate measure of success for most any company is making money – period. Nike included. That’s why they are in business; to make money. Advertising is just one cog towards that goal.

Whether the add works or not in some convoluted way by offending some people while stroking others, or whatever really goes on, is immaterial. Their ultimate goal is to make money and that will be their measure of success. Nike is not spending millions on a lebron ad campaign unless they think it will make them more than they are spending (present and future, directly and indirectly), or at least keep them from losing market share that would have cost them more than they are spending. Either way it’s all about numbers in revenue not readers.

I just happen to subscribe to the above version of the business book – corporations and businesses are primarily driven by profits, as it should be.

Clearly the bottom line for any company is (and should be) to make a profit. That does not mean that every single ad needs to directly sell product.

ATMO, most advertising of this sort is about name recognition. We the sheeple are somehow preprogrammed to believe that name recognition and quality go hand in hand. Maybe it is more basic and it is the known vs. the unknown. Whatever it is, it is massively important. Nike has it and ads like this help them keep it.

Not only that, for anyone that followed the Lebron story this summer, the add is pretty damn funny and it shows balls to go directly after some of his distractors.

Again, the boy has swag (and game).

Dave B
10-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Clearly the bottom line for any company is (and should be) to make a profit. That does not mean that every single ad needs to directly sell product.

ATMO, most advertising of this sort is about name recognition. We the sheeple are somehow preprogrammed to believe that name recognition and quality go hand in hand. Maybe it is more basic and it is the known vs. the unknown. Whatever it is, it is massively important. Nike has it and ads like this help them keep it.

Not only that, for anyone that followed the Lebron story this summer, the add is pretty damn funny and it shows balls to go directly after some of his distractors.

Again, the boy has swag (and game).

Yeah agreed!

I thought it was perfect, but hey I suppose i like that kind of smack talk between over paid debutaunts.

RPS
10-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Agree -- not directly. However, brand building is another means to the "money" end.

Sorry to sound a little cynical, but I sat through enough meetings with senior marketing managers to know they look after the bottom line just as much as any department. They expect and are held accountable for returns on their investment no differently than engineers investing capital on new equipment. Their accounting and reporting of results are just a lot more loosey goosey by comparison. They can always pull the “things would have been worse if we hadn’t done anything” card.

flickwet
10-29-2010, 01:34 PM
My home and office are within a mile of Lebron's home, he has always shopped around here and was always a beloved, ne legendary figure here in Akron. Born and raised in Akron I was 7 when the Cleveland Browns won the last National Championship won by any Cleveland sports team, heck I really don't remember it, but oh do I remember, The Indians sucking my whole life... then the loss in the 7th game in the 9th with 2 outs, Jose Mesa...Cliff Lee, CC Sabathia, nice seeing ya. Our beloved Browns...Red Right 88, The fumble, the Drive...The move. The miracle of Richfield, Jordan's 3 pointer at the buzzer.

Now let's look at Lebron, Home town superstar, there is no analog to that, Maybe if Brett Farvre played for New Orleans after being drafted by them, then quit in the playoffs cause he wanted to win with his new friends in...I don't know maybe Dallas would be close. How would that feel.

Lebron WAS damn important around here, And he was well taken care of...his posse his family and his demands. Many clubs in Cleveland depend on busy nights at the Q, lots of employees of Bars and resturaunts will end up getting laid off. Yeah its a free country and he can leave, we're use to a good rough rogering around here, we just want someone else to get it for a change.