PDA

View Full Version : The "Clean Bottle" with screw-off bottom

fiamme red
10-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Interesting idea:

http://cleanbottle.com/how.html

Edited: Sorry, missed this thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=79902) about Clean Bottle.

spartacus
10-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Try a Klean Kanteen/ bottle cage combo. Excellent solution. I flash sterilize with boiling water before every ride. Nozzle has a cap to keep it clean too. :beer: Zimplez.

AndrewS
10-25-2010, 04:48 PM
I use super discounted or free water bottles that I throw in the dishwasher. When they fall apart, I spend another $2. They seem to get plenty clean.

Ahneida Ride
10-25-2010, 05:00 PM
SS from Velo Orange ...

Easy to clean ... last a lifetime. ;)

firerescuefin
10-25-2010, 05:40 PM
The concern here is getting sick. Clean bottle is not a bad idea, but may be overthought or overengineered. Dishwasher at its heat sterilizes. I use a baby bottle sterilizer that you throw in the microwave for 5 minutes...not every time, but if I left the old bottle on the bike a little too long. Its all fun and games until you get some sort of intestinal virus. If your bottle looks like a petri dish on the bottom...invest in a new one.

rice rocket
10-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Get a UV Sanitizer while you're at it.

rugbysecondrow
10-25-2010, 06:02 PM
You guys wash your bottles? I must be the only one who forgets to take them off his bike and then splashes some water and maybe dish detergent in them just prior to heading out the door. I normally ride with just water though, so not too funky. I do put them into the dishwasher sometimes, but only when my wife makes me.

This reminds me of when I was a dirtbag single guy. I used to argue that the shower never needed to be cleaned because the use of soap in it kept it clean. Of course that is bull****, but what can I say, I am a dirtbag at heart.

GuyGadois
10-25-2010, 06:14 PM
I have totally switched to the Camelback Podium bottle and will never look back!

I still have the bottles from the week they came out (or thereabouts). They work as good as the day I got them and I put them in the dishwasher on high heat. I actually don't like the idea of the dual screw-cap as it doubles the leak points (and keeps one leak point in the worst position of all - underwater). The Camelbacks seem virtually indistructable.

-GG-

AngryScientist
10-25-2010, 06:21 PM
these do seem to be a solution to a problem that doesnt exist.

1centaur
10-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Some people don't use dishwashers, and using a bottle brush on dark residue in the creases at the bottom of a dark bottle like the Podium bottle can be less efficacious than one imagines.

There are certainly ways to accomplish the same thing (the need for which BTW depends in part on the drink used - Cytomax can cling where EFS does not), but not necessarily as quickly and easily as this idea, if it was properly executed. Reviews suggest version 1 is not everything it could be, and I'm hooked on insulated bottles myself, but if I could get the bottle I want with a screw off bottom I'd buy it because it fits the way I want to clean bottles - in 30 seconds with a brush or sponge under running water the way I'd clean a dish.

witcombusa
10-25-2010, 07:45 PM
has anybody ever heard of water and bleach? :cool:

this does not have to be a problem :crap:

dogdriver
10-25-2010, 07:45 PM
You guys wash your bottles? I must be the only one who forgets to take them off his bike and then splashes some water and maybe dish detergent in them just prior to heading out the door. I normally ride with just water though, so not too funky. I do put them into the dishwasher sometimes, but only when my wife makes me.

This reminds me of when I was a dirtbag single guy. I used to argue that the shower never needed to be cleaned because the use of soap in it kept it clean. Of course that is bull****, but what can I say, I am a dirtbag at heart.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

That said, I am enjoying the Camelback Gelbot... not as much funk to clean out.

Nostalgic for my dirtbag past, Chris

Peter B
10-25-2010, 08:02 PM
has anybody ever heard of water and bleach? :cool:

this does not have to be a problem :crap:

+1

No big secret or cost to sanitizing.

AndrewS
10-25-2010, 08:04 PM
I may start carrying water in a goat skin.

rugbysecondrow
10-25-2010, 08:05 PM
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

That said, I am enjoying the Camelback Gelbot... not as much funk to clean out.

Nostalgic for my dirtbag past, Chris

Yeah, my wife had/has her work cut out for her.

kramnnim
10-25-2010, 09:26 PM
I couldn't figure out why my water always had black flecks in it...and then I figured out that if I removed the poppet mouthpiece thing, I could clean the nasty gunk that was collecting there...

martinrjensen
10-25-2010, 09:56 PM
a clean bottle is a good thing but I have to say that I have never cleaned my bottle and never gotten sick. bottle is several years old and I toss them after a few years. when I put Gatorade in it, I leave it in the fridge. Now, I leave it in the fridge if I'm not riding all the time. maybe that helps.

Bob Loblaw
10-26-2010, 07:58 AM
I have about eight bottles in rotation right now, and I put them away open so they dry out between uses. I run them through the dishwasher every so often.

I also only carry water in them. Solid nourishment works well enough for me, and I don't like getting sugary residue all over my bike.

BL

keithreynolds
10-26-2010, 08:23 AM
bottle is several years old and I toss them after a few years. when I put Gatorade in it, I leave it in the fridge. Now, I leave it in the fridge if I'm not riding all the time. maybe that helps.

Plastics can leach over time, specifically the BPA type (check on your old ones). I wouldn't recommend storing it in the fridge/freezer for this reason. Just a $2 brush and a dab of soap with hot water.

eddief
10-26-2010, 09:29 AM
seem like they won't kill with BPH and work pretty good. a bit hard to squeeze, but I like em = $5:

http://www.somafab.com/bottle.html

rpm
10-26-2010, 09:32 AM
I really like the Camelback bottles, but I worry about cleaning the mouthpiece. I put them in the dishwasher, but I don't know how to thoroughly clean the top. Any suggestions out there?

Nooch
10-26-2010, 09:37 AM
I really like the Camelback bottles, but I worry about cleaning the mouthpiece. I put them in the dishwasher, but I don't know how to thoroughly clean the top. Any suggestions out there?

you can, with enough force, pull the tip of the bottle off the cap. i soak them in hot water and clean them out with a bottle brush (most infant bottle brushes will have a brush designed for cleaning the nipples).

dogdriver
10-26-2010, 09:58 AM

Personal technique only: After a ride, I fill the gel container with either hot water or a water/dish soap mix (depending how germophobic (?) I feel), attach to the top, and force thru the opening by pushing the bottom of the gel container. Repeat several times, finishing with water if the soap option was used. Occasionally put in the dishwasher for the sanitizing option. Probably not perfect, but I haven't puked yet...

I'm too cheap to buy gel, so my "gel" is a thick paste mix of Hammer Perpetuem. Seems to work pretty well.

dogdriver
10-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Whoopsie daisy-- My Gelbot bottles are made by Hydrapack, not Camelback...

Ozz
10-26-2010, 01:01 PM
diswasher seems to work fine for me...if I have to reuse a bottle, I will give it a rinse with some mouthwash.

Cheers.