PDA

View Full Version : Rumor about Inter-Bike

CordWoodyard
10-25-2010, 01:28 AM
I heard a rumor that an organization at Inter-Bike put out or gave away stickers that said "Chinese Stuff Sucks," has anyone seen this sticker? If so, who handed them out? Please enlighten and be kind, this is my first post.

Louis
10-25-2010, 03:04 AM
Given that it's nearly impossible to avoid / not purchase Made in China products, whether you're talking about the food we eat or the stuff we buy, that approach seems pretty silly to me. It's a bad sign if they feel that that's the best way to convince folks buy their products, since there are so many other positive ways you can do marketing. How about explaining why your product is better than the competition's because of how it looks or works?

You know what they say about the last refuge of a scoundrel...

RABikes2
10-25-2010, 07:55 AM
I could've missed it, but I was at the convention all week and didn't see this, so I'd say rumor.

RA

Side note: Location for next year's Interbike was previously announced to be in Anaheim, CA, but they reversed that decision and the convention will be back in Las Vegas again next year.

oldpotatoe
10-25-2010, 08:10 AM
[QUOTE=RABikes2]I could've missed it, but I was at the convention all week and didn't see this, so I'd say rumor.

RA

Once again, Not rumor, I have a couple. They also made, "Anaheim sucks, move Interbike to Denver'...along with one that said, 'Vegas sucks, move Interbike to Denver', a few years ago.

Charles M
10-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Probably rumor...

If not, it's pretty small minded.
and funny depending on where the stickers were made...

bike22
10-25-2010, 04:28 PM
much / most of bikes/bike stuff comes from china anyways, ironic i guess.

dimsy
10-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Given that it's nearly impossible to avoid / not purchase Made in China products, whether you're talking about the food we eat or the stuff we buy, that approach seems pretty silly to me. It's a bad sign if they feel that that's the best way to convince folks buy their products, since there are so many other positive ways you can do marketing. How about explaining why your product is better than the competition's because of how it looks or works?

You know what they say about the last refuge of a scoundrel...

There's a fantastic documentary called The People's Republic of Capitalism which dives into the Chinese/American interdependency on imports and exports.

Go figure but shopping at Wal-mart in China is sort of a high-status symbol. High society in China seeks out American made goods as it's associated with very high quality and craftsmanship.

vqdriver
10-25-2010, 05:55 PM
the American and California flags at our county building were made in china

54ny77
10-25-2010, 06:12 PM
My dinner is about to be made by Chinese immigrants, and the old guy who will be delivering it will be chain smoking and riding a bicycle against traffic on 1st avenue.

That's good people, man. :beer:

Louis
10-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Related story in the NYT: Link (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/26/world/asia/26china.html?_r=1&hp)