PDA

View Full Version : Help with Pinarello CX ID

pascii
10-24-2010, 06:02 PM
I was wondering if anyone can give me some info on my old Pinarello cyclocross frame. I posted a writup about it on our team blog last spring after our local "Roubaix" race. There are photos too:

http://talltreerides.blogspot.com/2010_04_01_archive.html

We're pretty sure it is form the early 90s but any information on tubing and original colour would be helpful. (we think maybe Columbus Nemo but it was resprayed so not sure) Fork is sloping, frame is standard diameter lugged, dropouts are semi-horizontal.

This is a wonderful cross racer and I was thinking of restoring it.
I have searched the net pretty hard with not much luck. The closest I've found was the '89 Pinarello catalogue but it's not quite the same.

pascii
10-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Sorry, direct link here:
http://talltreerides.blogspot.com/2010/04/steeds-of-roubaix-sleeper.html

Also, info on original build parts would be great.

LiteFM
10-24-2010, 07:13 PM
My buddy Tim has an early 90's Pinarello CX frame. His has very similar details as yours. Same fork, etc. It's original and made of Oria tubing and is a very bright almost neon yellow/green. Have you checked the steerer for the dove stamp? I can bug him tomorrow to see if he knows more about it. He bought it from a fellow student while attending Yamaguchi classes years back. Hope this helps any. I'll report back when I know more.
-John

pascii
10-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks John, I really appreciate it. This frame is a literal fighter jet on the cross course yet we know so little about it. We want to give it the treatment it deserves.

bigflax925
10-25-2010, 07:19 PM
My buddy Tim has an early 90's Pinarello CX frame. His has very similar details as yours. Same fork, etc. It's original and made of Oria tubing and is a very bright almost neon yellow/green. Have you checked the steerer for the dove stamp? I can bug him tomorrow to see if he knows more about it. He bought it from a fellow student while attending Yamaguchi classes years back. Hope this helps any. I'll report back when I know more.
-John

I've got one of these, too, that I am in the process of rebuilding.

I'm not sure what the year is, but based on the 1989 catalog posted on Mark Bulgier's site, I'm inclined to go with 1989. There's no 1988 catalog posted and no cross frames in the earlier catalogs. It has the same neon yellow paint and Oria tubes. I think the later models changed tubing grades.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that these were sold as framesets only.

pascii
10-25-2010, 09:12 PM
The 89 has horizontal dropouts and flat crown forks. Mine has semi-horizontal (almost vertical) and sloping fork crown. I think mine is a later model...

Albie
10-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Where would I go about finding on of these in 54cm?

:)

pascii
10-26-2010, 06:58 PM
After closer inspection, I have found a "93" stamped on the bottom of the BB. So I guess it's a '93. I wonder if they still used Oria tubing at that point.