PDA

View Full Version : Gatorskin and EA90 SL --impossible?

hockeybike
10-23-2010, 12:33 PM
So I have a set of gatorskins and EA90SL wheels and the damn tires just don't want to go on at all. Had to stretch the hell out of the tire just to get it on the rim in the first place and now getting the second side on w/ a tube in is just impossible. I've installed countless tires and this is the first time that I just haven't been able to get the last bit of wire bead over a rim after putting a tube in. What gives?? Already popped one tube and mangled a lever a bit...

Any tricks, or is this just a particularly bad wheel for this tire? I'm almost willing to take a heatgun to the damn tire to stretch it a bit on the rim...

hockeybike
10-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Solved. Just needed more profanity.

Birddog
10-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Put the tires in the dryer for a short spin. When remounting, make sure the bead is way down in the center of the rim. Thinner rim tape also helps. Creative use and coupling of adjectives also seems to help a little sometimes. Worst case, get different tires.

erector
10-24-2010, 12:18 AM
I think the best option is to get rid of the garden hose, I'm sorry, I mean GatorSkins, and replace with something that rides better. Believe me, I just put on a set of skins after having BOTH diamante pros blow out, and the ride lack-of-quality is REALLY making me think that the flat protection may not be worth it. Let me know your thoughts on the ride

Ralph
10-24-2010, 05:29 PM
I ride Gator Skin Ultra's on my daily rider. 700X25. You are right....they don't flat easily, and they last a long time. They were a little hard to put on, but once I understood you have to start opposite the stem, so tire can sink all the way in, they went on OK. They do ride a little hard, but hey....those of you maybe commuting home or finishing a training ride after dark sure don't want to be fixing a flat in the dark. I use them on an Aluminum C Dale, and with the 700X25 I don't have to inflate them beyond about 85-95, so ride is OK. Not as smooth as my PR2's, but I think their ride is acceptable considering their features. If I just had one bike to do everything, they would be my choice.

metrotuned
10-25-2010, 11:10 AM
They dont call them gators or hardshells without reason. I've mounted these 700x25 (gatorskin ultra and gatorskin hardshell) to both carbon clinchers (66mm) and aluminum clinchers (30mm) and the last ones gave me blisters on my fingers. They need both stretching and serious hand rolling power. You'll get it, just gotta use force. I heard you can use oil/baby powder to ease mounting but I dont like clean up. Four hands are better than two to roll the last bit of tire over the clincher. And yeah, swearing cussing like a dirty Irish drunk helps.

Ken Robb
10-25-2010, 11:51 AM
I soften up tough-to-mount tires by using levers to mount them WITH NO TUBES. Then I lever them off, install the tubes and mount them for real. The initial go-round with levers stretches the tires enough to prevent tube-pinching the second time.

old fat man
10-25-2010, 02:24 PM
i have gatorskins on almost all my wheels at this time of year. i rarely have any trouble mounting them. as another poster said, thin rim tape, or veloplugs (+++) will make it easier to mount them.