PDA

View Full Version : Stans Alpha Road Rim

mso
10-22-2010, 03:31 PM
I'm considering a build using this rim but really don't know anything about Stans Rims. For some reason I thought they were all tubeless rims but it seems they are more of a 2 way fit rim. Anyone have experiencewith Stans? Can build a nice sub 1400 clincher.

AndrewS
10-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Wow. Those are light. But at 3 times the price of a Kinlins, I guess they should be.

jlwdm
10-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Check with Ergott. I think he builds with some Stans rims.

Jeff

vqdriver
10-22-2010, 06:36 PM
i believe all tubeless rims are "2 way fit"
i've not had any of the stans stuff, but i've only read good things while waffling between tubeless and 23 wide rims.

ergott
10-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Love Stan's rims. I don't have that much experience with the Alpha (they're pretty new still), but if they hold up like the 29er rims, they will be a huge hit. I beat the snot out of my 29er rims running them at all sorts of low pressures and even flats. The are excellent.

oldpotatoe
10-23-2010, 08:33 AM
I'm considering a build using this rim but really don't know anything about Stans Rims. For some reason I thought they were all tubeless rims but it seems they are more of a 2 way fit rim. Anyone have experiencewith Stans? Can build a nice sub 1400 clincher.

I have built a few wheelsets with Stans and I'm not overly impressed by their quality nor longevity. Built to tension and had a nipple pull thru on one. I think there are better choices. Tubeless? I think a tubie rim, like the new MajorTom from Velocity, with goop in the tire is less of a hassle than tape, valves and goop in tubeless.