PDA

View Full Version : Silly Campy/Shimano Question

hairylegs
10-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Hey Team Serotta,

Just purchased a Look TT bike (great deal @ Jenson!) and it comes with SRAM. I'm a campy guy on my road bike (my beloved Serotta is here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=79540)

So I have a spare set of campy wheels that has of course a campy cassette that I use for the trainer. I know Campy cassettes are not compatible with Shimano/SRAM wheels and vice versa, but how about a Campy wheel with a Campy Cassette and a SRAM rear derailler? Would that work at least for the trainer? The last thing I want to do is somehow damage my new ride, but I'll be doing some work on the trainer in aero for sure, so I'll want that tt bike.

It's certainly not an ideal setup since if I ever get real race wheels it will only work on one of the bikes! Oh well.

Thanks for any help!

sean
10-21-2010, 12:50 AM
sounds like a job for jtek (http://www.jtekengineering.com/)

Louis
10-21-2010, 01:01 AM
Another option is to change out the freehub.

Campy does make freehubs that will mate with a Campy rear hub (duh) but have a Shimano / SRAM spline.

Of course that means that you can only use that wheel on that drivetrain, but that may or may not be a problem for you. And of course, you can always remove the freehub to go back to a Campy drivetrain.

hairylegs
10-21-2010, 01:05 AM
Sad about the entry page @ jtek.

I'm a bit confused here. Maybe I will understand it when I try to put my campy wheel/cassette on my TT bike with SRAM shifters and derailers. It does look like the jtek device will work, but I'd have to switch it out each time I put the trainer wheel out....a bit of a pain. I guess the best solution would be to get a cheap shimano/sram rear wheel for the trainer? Oy this bike stuff is crazy! :)

AngryScientist
10-21-2010, 06:21 AM
i assume the TT bike has bar end typed shifters? if so, can they be set to "friction" mode?? if you can do that, just go for it while you're on the trainer, and friction shift the rear - in that case, it doesnt matter what cassette you have on.

bobswire
10-21-2010, 08:04 AM
You can always sell the Sram as like new "take offs" and pick up some Centaur
components.
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=X0160

45K10
10-21-2010, 08:17 AM
It will work fine
I had a loaner bike a few weeks ago that had Sram rival on it and I used my campy 10 speed wheel with no problem. Campy 11 speed will not work but a 10 speed campy cassette will work fine with a sram or shimano 10 speed derailleur. My race wheels are Shimano and I use a Dura-Ace cassette with my 10 speed campy shifters all the time.

AndrewS
10-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Even if it didn't work 100%, the middle couple of gears on the cassette that you actually use on the trainer will work well enough.

auto_rock
10-21-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm glad to hear you can "fake it", I've always wondered what would happen if you threw a Shim/SRAM 10 on a Campy bike or vice versa. Nice to see it "almost works".

bobswire
10-21-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm glad to hear you can "fake it", I've always wondered what would happen if you threw a Shim/SRAM 10 on a Campy bike or vice versa. Nice to see it "almost works".

I use campy drive with shimano wheels with little trouble in fact 10 speed Campy works super with 9 speed Shimano wheels. 10x10 speed works o.k but it sometimes drops a gear making you re shift , no biggee.
Never used shimano with campy wheels other than 8 speed and they worked great.

FGC
10-21-2010, 01:55 PM
I frequently cross the manufacturing gap with great results. I used to have all Campy for everything and then because of cost and availability SRAM sneaked in.

Now my nicest race wheels are Campy on SRAM bikes. I've used Shimano wheels on Campy bikes with no problems. Ten speed is ten speed. The space between cogs is so small my shifters don't seem to care. No adjustment necessary.

hairylegs
10-21-2010, 02:07 PM
I think I'll just give it try and keep y'all posted. Thanks mucho!

hairylegs
10-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Well you're right. Works like a charm! The shifting actually seems really good! I haven't tried putting the SRAM on the Campy yet, but putting the Campy Wheel/Cassette on the SRAM bike worked no problem! :)