PDA

View Full Version : Yet another (stupid?) question about Campy rings

akelman
10-20-2010, 08:11 PM
So, I've got a newish compact UT Centaur crank. It's a 2010, and it came with 34 and 50 rings. (You can see the very one here (http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Campagnolo-chainsets-Road-Campagnolo-2010-Centaur-UT-10-Spd-Chainset/CAMPCHAR885), if you care.) The 50 is too large for my purposes. Does anyone know of silver alloy aftermarket rings that will fit this crank? Thanks in advance for your help.

Louis
10-20-2010, 08:15 PM
The key is to know the BCD (bolt-circle-diameter) of the rings / crank and you can then shop around for alternatives.

Sheldon Brown Knows All (http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bcd)

Louis
10-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Chainring options at AE Bike (http://aebike.com/parts-accessories-catalog-qc30/chainrings-t203.htm)

The "Search" tool is quite good.

that guy
10-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Zank (zanconato.com) is making CNC-machined cyclocross chainrings for Campy. Definitely worth checking out.

Steve in SLO
10-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Chainring options at AE Bike (http://aebike.com/parts-accessories-catalog-qc30/chainrings-t203.htm)

The "Search" tool is quite good.

Louis,
Unfortunately, the AE Bike website shows only 34 and 50t options for Campy and states "Campagnolo's Compact chainrings use a proprietary BCD (bolt circle diameter) and will not fit other 110mm BCD cranksets".

Any other options for a say, 46t outer, except possibly Zank's?

Ralph
10-20-2010, 08:50 PM
They are 110 BCD....Campy version. Generic 110 won't work. I'm sure TA makes rings for the Campy 110. They are easy to get. Check Ribble and others. Peter White also has a good supply, last time I looked at his web site. TA calls the campy compatible rings "Nerius" I believe. He has 46 and 48 usually.

Go to Peter White, drive train, chainrings, and scroll down to Nerius and Nerius 11.

akelman
10-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Louis,
Unfortunately, the AE Bike website shows only 34 and 50t options for Campy and states "Campagnolo's Compact chainrings use a proprietary BCD (bolt circle diameter) and will not fit other 110mm BCD cranksets".

Any other options for a say, 46t outer, except possibly Zank's?

Right. This seems to be the problem. Campy's compact cranks apparently have their very own BCD. Grrrr. Anyway, a quick look at Zank's site doesn't reveal the rings he has for sale. Maybe I'll give him a call tomorrow. But it sure would be nice if there were other options out there.

akelman
10-20-2010, 08:57 PM
They are 110 BCD....Campy version. Generic 110 won't work. I'm sure TA makes rings for the Campy 110. They are easy to get. Check Ribble and others. Peter White also has a good supply, last time I looked at his web site.

I don't see them on Ribble's site at all. As for Peter White, it looks like there's no 46, only a 48, and that costs more than $100. But maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Louis
10-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Campy suks.

Shimano rules.

akelman
10-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Yes, except when the reverse is true.

cp43
10-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Right. This seems to be the problem. Campy's compact cranks apparently have their very own BCD. Grrrr. Anyway, a quick look at Zank's site doesn't reveal the rings he has for sale. Maybe I'll give him a call tomorrow. But it sure would be nice if there were other options out there.

I'm not sure that Zank has any for sale yet. I think he's still in the process of testing prototypes, etc. Can't hurt to give him a call tho.

Chris

ols
10-20-2010, 09:09 PM
PMP makes chainrings (in Italy) for Campy compact. You can order on-line. (I just ordered some for a regular compact crankset.) Here's a link. Hope that helps.

http://www.pmpbike.net/bike.php/p-6x41x188/codsart-239/page-1/Compact-Campagnolo-Compatible.htm

Louis
10-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Yes, except when the reverse is true.

[Rant on]

In my experience the reverse is a very low probability event.

IMO Campy has been coasting on the "Italian mystique" for way, way, way too long.

Niggling built-in compatibility things like this are so annoying and proof of my point. If you're stuff is better, then folks ought to be willing to use it as a spare without you boxing them into a corner and forcing them (at way higher cost, I might point out). Shimano knows that their stuff is good. No need to use a proprietary something-or-other to induce customers to use it.

[Rant off]

akelman
10-20-2010, 09:28 PM
PMP makes chainrings (in Italy) for Campy compact. You can order on-line. (I just ordered some for a regular compact crankset.) Here's a link. Hope that helps.

http://www.pmpbike.net/bike.php/p-6x41x188/codsart-239/page-1/Compact-Campagnolo-Compatible.htm

Thanks so much! Although shipping is pricey, this seems really promising. I'm curious how long it will take for something ordered from them to arrive in the States. Well, I guess I'll find out soon enough (I hope).

TMB
10-20-2010, 09:40 PM
CAmpag compact cranksets are only the "odd" BCD if carbon.

If the crankset is alloy it is a standard 110 BCD.

I don not know whether the OP is speaking of a carbon or alloy set.

on Carbon sets I have used CAmpag and TA rings - for TA rings you have to be buying the rings that specify they are made for Campag carbon chainsets.

For alloy chainsets I have used FSA, Deda and TA aftermarket rings.

akelman
10-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Mine is alloy, so what you're saying, tmb, is great news. Thanks.

old fat man
10-20-2010, 10:03 PM
I used FSA 36 and 46 last season on a Centaur alloy UT crankset. I had to do some minor modification to the 5th bolt hole on the chainrings to elongate them for the crankarm bolt but that just required patience and a file. 30 minutes, max. if you want to be frugal, go with the fsa or sram chainrings.

Zank has a small number of the new rings available. Call him up. I saw them in person last week and they are pure sex AND completely american designed and made!

akelman
10-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks, ofm. I'll definitely call Zank in the am. But now I'm wondering, will the ones that I ordered from PMP in Italy work? Or should I quickly learn enough Italian to try to cancel that order?

akelman
10-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Which is to say, will the ones from PMP, which may be designed to fit the Campy compact carbon crank (that's a lot of alliteration, right there), also fit my alloy cranks? I mean, it's not the end of the world if they don't. I have both alloy and carbon Campy compact cranks. Still, I'm curious.

TMB
10-20-2010, 10:16 PM
I hesitate to even post this because I don't want to, or intend to get dragged into an internet peeing match, but ........

I have never had to modify any rings to fit a Campag alloy chsinset.

akelman
10-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Well, I'm guessing that's because you're special.

akelman
10-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Please append a smiley emoticon to my previous comment.

djg
10-20-2010, 11:24 PM
I've bought the PMP rings from Svelte Cycles (Justin Spinelli) -- try sending him an email to see if he has any.

With the carbon compact at least, you have to file down the little nub a bit on the outer ring, but otherwise they match up just right and work well. I don't see why the alloy would be a problem, but maybe somebody has some direct experience.

akelman
10-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks, djg. I've already got a set on order from PMP, but I'll definitely keep Justin in mind for the future.

christian
10-21-2010, 05:48 AM
All alloy Campagnolo CT cranksets are 5x110mm bolt circle diameter. Carbon CT cranks are 4x110mm, 1x112.5mm BCD.

So if it shines, it will fit any standard rings.

And my experience is totally the opposite of Louis's. I find the Campy mid-range groups, Centaur in particular, to be durable, rebuildable, a good value and work well.

spartacus
10-21-2010, 06:26 AM
[Rant on]

In my experience the reverse is a very low probability event.

IMO Campy has been coasting on the "Italian mystique" for way, way, way too long.

Niggling built-in compatibility things like this are so annoying and proof of my point. If you're stuff is better, then folks ought to be willing to use it as a spare without you boxing them into a corner and forcing them (at way higher cost, I might point out). Shimano knows that their stuff is good. No need to use a proprietary something-or-other to induce customers to use it.

[Rant off]

+1

ols
10-21-2010, 06:31 AM
I'm curious how long it will take for something ordered from them to arrive in the States. (I hope).

My order arrived via UPS in 2 days (to New England) Hope that helps.

djg
10-21-2010, 07:43 AM
All alloy Campagnolo CT cranksets are 5x110mm bolt circle diameter. Carbon CT cranks are 4x110mm, 1x112.5mm BCD.

So if it shines, it will fit any standard rings.

And my experience is totally the opposite of Louis's. I find the Campy mid-range groups, Centaur in particular, to be durable, rebuildable, a good value and work well.

Two seasons of cross now on a Centaur 10 speed group. Dust, mud, grass, whatever, the stuff works great -- no problems. Plenty of commuting miles as well, especially during cross season.

I don't have anything against Shimano -- this isn't a religion for me. Consistency in the bits groups is more about interoperability and sticking with that which has worked for me. But really, Louis is likely just jerking the chains of the passionate. Campagnolo kit works extremely well, by contemporary standards. And as for proprietary-whatever this is, it is not about a closed system, like Apple -- anybody, including Shimano, could manufacture free-hub bodies with Campag compatible splines; anybody could recreate the pull needed for Campag cogs (as j-tek does, for instance, with a very inexpensive and completely reliable little widget).

oldpotatoe
10-21-2010, 07:59 AM
CAmpag compact cranksets are only the "odd" BCD if carbon.

If the crankset is alloy it is a standard 110 BCD.

I don not know whether the OP is speaking of a carbon or alloy set.

on Carbon sets I have used CAmpag and TA rings - for TA rings you have to be buying the rings that specify they are made for Campag carbon chainsets.

For alloy chainsets I have used FSA, Deda and TA aftermarket rings.

Actually the Campagnolo UT cranks, even the alloy ones have a hidden arm and are the 110/112 BCD.

Like this 'un-

http://cgi.ebay.com/Campagnolo-Centaur-34-50-Compact-Crank-170mm-/160496132694

BUT I'll have to check now(toomanybikes)...I have a alloy UT crank at the shop....

Ralph
10-21-2010, 08:16 AM
I think the square taper alloy compacts took the standard 110, and the UT alloy compacts take the special Campy only 110.

champ
10-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Campy is introducing aluminum and carbon Cx cranksets in 10 and 11 speed for 2011.

christian
10-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Actually the Campagnolo UT cranks, even the alloy ones have a hidden arm and are the 110/112 BCD.Ok, now I agree with Louis. That's a lousy solution. I guess I'll stick with the old inferior square taper standard.

spartacus
10-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Why bother with Campagnolo at all?

Shimano Dura Ace 7900/ 7950 is the state of the art. The best gear changing ever. When was the last worthwhile innovation from C? Was it 1927?

thwart
10-21-2010, 02:34 PM

Shimano Dura Ace 7900/ 7950 is the state of the art. The best gear changing ever. When was the last worthwhile innovation from C? Was it 1927?
I'll be sure to point that out to my buddy with the 7900 DA compact crank (and it cost how much? ... no!). Shifting, adjusted more than once by a capable LBS, is definitely inferior to Campy. And not a just a little. Works for me as now it's easier to hang onto his wheel, especially when we're on a hilly route.

To be fair, he did add a new 10 spd crank to an otherwise 9 spd drivetrain.

spartacus
10-21-2010, 04:00 PM
I'll be sure to point that out to my buddy with the 7900 DA compact crank (and it cost how much? ... no!). Shifting, adjusted more than once by a capable LBS, is definitely inferior to Campy. And not a just a little. Works for me as now it's easier to hang onto his wheel, especially when we're on a hilly route.

To be fair, he did add a new 10 spd crank to an otherwise 9 spd drivetrain.

Funny because I have an inferior LBS and no matter how hard they try to *%#& it up they can't stop my DA 7900 from changing more than capably. To be fair it's a pure DA 10 speed group, as it's designed to be.

allenwhy
10-21-2010, 11:23 PM
I have been looking for an alloy chorus 10 speed 110bcd crankset for a very long time. i don't believe they even exist. :confused:

oldpotatoe
10-22-2010, 07:24 AM

Altho the 7900/7950, with the stiffest large ring in existence, designed specifically for the FD of Di2, the $400+ of a big ring is excessive and would drive me to the 6700 series crank, IF I used shimano, or the really nice Campagnolo cranks.

BTW, when was the last 'worthwhile' innovation from any component maker-1985?

oldpotatoe
10-22-2010, 07:26 AM
I have been looking for an alloy chorus 10 speed 110bcd crankset for a very long time. i don't believe they even exist. :confused:

Not ever made. Chorus and CT from the square taper days were only carbon. Centaur for aluminum and CT.