PDA

View Full Version : BTC coupled frames & cases

spartacus
10-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Are there a range of cases made by different manufacturers for BTC coupled frames, or just one standard case made by or in cooperation with S & S Machine?

Could someone recommend a case? Are there points to consider?

Thank you, Sparts.

Kirk007
10-20-2010, 04:16 PM
check the co-motion site. They now recommend a soft shell case. I have that one and the hard shell. Have had good luck with both. The rationale for favoring the soft shell that I was given was that the bag handlers where more likely to put the soft shell on the top of the pile rather than the bottom. Both are well made.

eddief
10-20-2010, 04:42 PM
scares the heck out of my steel coupled bike. I've watched them throw MY case once I got seated on the plane. Ouch.

Smiley
10-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Three sizes for hard cases 10,12 and 14 inches wide. 61 by 61 inches. Only the 10 inch is airline legal but nobody ever measured my cases yet.

Satellite
10-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Are there a range of cases made by different manufacturers for BTC coupled frames, or just one standard case made by or in cooperation with S & S Machine?

Could someone recommend a case? Are there points to consider?

Thank you, Sparts.
The hardcase is made by Samsonite and to my knowledge is nothing specially made for Coupled bicycles.

Satellite

eddief
10-21-2010, 11:21 PM
the grey colored hard cases are custom made for Sands Machine or they makes them in-house. If that is not the case, would love to see an example with the Samsonite name on it.

http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_hard.htm

Bike Friday cases are off the rack Samsonite, but I think not for S&S.

Peter B
10-22-2010, 01:49 AM
The S&S hardcase fits the bike, protects it too if the strut posts are used correctly. I recommend using the TSA net as it simplifies packing AND any subsequent inspections by TSA.

The case is quite sturdy while remaining relatively light and it can be locked. I back that up w/a few pieces of duct tape and write my name and number on the tape somewhere. I also include a copy of the S&S packing instructions in the case along with my cell number just in case my lucky TSA gorilla wants some help. So far, so good with multiple international flights.

Best real bike coupled design IMHO. Ritchey's runs a close second for simplicity and weight, but would have me riding w/ a few spares.

spartacus
10-22-2010, 05:35 AM
I thought I saw a picture of a case on here recently in a very dark color (was it black? - I don't know) that had what seemed to be a fake crocodile skin outer textured finish to it. Looked interesting and superior to the gray S and S Machine cases, but I don't know any more about it than that. It doesn't show up anywhere when Googled. Looked expensive too.