PDA

View Full Version : KMC alluminum Jockey Wheels

bigman
10-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Anyone have experience with these?

On chip seal roads they are very noisy on my 7800 der. So much so that I pulled over to check if they were tight.

Thanks

bigman
10-20-2010, 06:36 AM
OOPS KCNC not KMC.

Charles M
10-20-2010, 09:43 AM
I have two sets and no noise. In fact I have never "heard" rear deer pulley wheels from any brand even on smooth roads.

Pics or set up info...

bigman
10-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Well that is discouraging, just hung up with Fairwheel bikes and they said that is normal. Guess they will be available soon.

shiftyfixedgear
10-20-2010, 06:50 PM
The old aluminum Bullseye pulleys used to be noticeably noisier than a set of nylon ones. Same thing for the early Stainless upper jockey wheel on the Dura Ace 7400 rear derailleurs. Some people don't care- some people can even abide a Chris King rear hub and don't even notice it. To each his owner . . .

Pez - you gotta take yer ear buds out before you can claim to hear your bike <G>. Turn down the Motorhead . . .

jlwdm
10-20-2010, 07:33 PM
...Guess they will be available soon.

What will be available soon?

I use the KCNC and think they are a little noisier than stock Campagnolo. I was using the red ones to give a red accent but can't see the red anymore. I am not as obsessive as Pez about cleaning the bike. The different size of the pulleys can change the optimum chain length also.

Jeff

Ahneida Ride
10-20-2010, 11:43 PM
With after market Pulleys, you can now tug on Superman's Cape ! :rolleyes:

wasfast
10-21-2010, 08:12 AM
One of the reasons is the sealed bearings. The stock Campy one's with the bushings allow the jockey wheel to move slightly laterally so the side load is somewhat lower. That side load is part of the noiser factor. Metal to Metal is just bound to be noisier fundamentally.

I looked into sealed versions for my bikes, specifically the rain bike, and also checked with the local expert mechanics. Both recommended staying with stock Campy.

Not content to leave it alone, I bought 2 sets of the Tacx pulleys with sealed bearings through Lickton's. They are some sort of filled plastic (not delrin). Couldn't be happier. No noise and shifting is great. They've been on 2 bikes all year.