PDA

View Full Version : UK internet bike shop alternatives?

rice rocket
10-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Admittedly, I love PBK, their stuff comes cheap and no slower than most vendors here in the US. One problem I have though, is all my packages come mangled. It's okay for some softer items, but now I'm considering a crankset, which I would rather not want smashed to bits.

Do any of the other UK companies ship in something more substantial than a plastic bag?

TMB
10-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Admittedly, I love PBK, their stuff comes cheap and no slower than most vendors here in the US. One problem I have though, is all my packages come mangled. It's okay for some softer items, but now I'm considering a crankset, which I would rather not want smashed to bits.

Do any of the other UK companies ship in something more substantial than a plastic bag?

I bought a c/set from PBK.

It came in a box, wrapped in a plastic bag.

I've never had a "mangled" package from PBK?

oldguy00
10-19-2010, 09:08 AM
I think Wiggle and Chain Reaction use normal packaging.

RADaines
10-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Agree, PBK's packaging is a bit on the "minimalist" side. My experience with Ribble has shown a little more attention to the packaging.

uno-speedo
10-19-2010, 09:11 AM
www.sigmasport.co.uk

not sure how competitive they're on pricing though.

kinofaucet
10-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Chain Reaction uses a normal sized box with decent padding.

Your order won't get hurt there.

As for PBK, when I ordered a "fragile" item (carbon saddle), it came in a box.

I think they will get it right

rice rocket
10-19-2010, 09:24 AM
I had some Time pedals come smashed up, and I ordered some Crud Roadracer mk2 fenders that were pretty mangled. Nothing broke on the pedals, and the fenders need some serious straightening before they go on the bike (probably some heat to get it back to shape).

maximus
10-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Never had a bad packaging experience with PBK - including a crankset.

My only complaint, not due to any shop, is my credit card provider charges a "foreign transaction fee." I appreciate how Wiggle and Ribble both allown payment via PayPal avoiding the fee.

Chain Reaction is also great.

old_fat_and_slow
10-19-2010, 11:51 AM
I have ordered numerous items from Wiggle. Price is usually slightly higher than PBK, and you need to order a minimum amount to qualify for free shipping to the other side of the pond, but shipping is equally fast, and always packed well. Try them!

false_Aest
10-19-2010, 11:59 AM
ordered a gruppo from PBK.

Came in a box surrounded by plastic bag.

w0rd

RADaines
10-19-2010, 12:09 PM
My experience with PBK (admittedly limited) is that if the item came in a box they just put paper around it and stuck a label on. If the original box provided adequate protection in shipping, all was great. If not, then there could be a problem. My box was quite crushed when I received it (a Fizik saddle) but there was no apparent damage to the saddle. I was very surprised that there was no secondary box used for the shipment.

jeo99
10-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Curious, why are we buying from offshore companies?

:beer:

RADaines
10-19-2010, 02:17 PM
The prices can be significantly less. On my Fizik saddle I saved over $50.

uno-speedo
10-19-2010, 03:14 PM

i don't order a lot from overseas, but in my experience its usually quicker and cheaper to order from overseas versus ordering online within the usa.

palincss
10-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Also there are some products that are available in the UK but are unavailable here. In the US, the Tubus Tara lowrider rack is available in black only; I have a silver one I ordered from the UK. It cost the same, maybe even a little less, than a US-purchased black one would have cost. I also have a nice UK-spec Cateye tail light that never was available here.

jmeloy
10-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Bought a group from Ribble and came safely in bags in a box. Great pricing... had one error in order and getting it exchanged was a bit of a challenge.

Dave
10-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Try Ribble or Shiny Bikes. Depending on the item, they can be quite a be cheaper than PBK.

dvs cycles
10-19-2010, 06:31 PM

:beer:Because I can get Conti GP-4000s for $36 with free shipping.
I can't justify the price that Excell etc charge. :beer:

djg
10-19-2010, 07:03 PM

Dunno, the OP asked about a crank set. Not too many choices in US-made road crank sets. I suppose that SRAM is an on-shore company, distributed through an on-shore distributor or two, but it's not as if you're not supporting Asian production when you buy a Force crank at your LBS.

Personally, I buy most of my bike stuff locally. But I didn't feel bad buying my cross frame directly from some company way up north in Saratoga Springs. And I haven't felt bad about buying this or that from oversees for this or that reason. Ordering the tires I want, that are not in stock, from my LBS, so that they can go to a certain amount of trouble, make very little margin charging me double what I might pay elsewhere, and hope -- along with me -- that things will show up promptly? Never say never, but maybe not often either.

jeo99
10-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Some day, there will not be a LBS!

:rolleyes:

rice rocket
10-20-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm not sure why you feel that way.

LBS have their place, the ones that succeed have changed their ways to draw customers for reasons other than parts sales. I have picked my LBS of choice after going through 5 or 6 in the area, most of which are terrible and could die as far as I care.

My shop of choice though understands that there are internet deals, and will give me better prices on most items because he understands that I will return time and time again if he treats me right (and he's totally right, I go to him for fit advice, which is 100% money in his pocket). However if someone is blowing out a SRAM Red BB30 crankset for $300 after coupons, he's not gonna match that and he knows it. Hell, it's probably below his cost. Even he isn't gonna tell me not to get it...he'd probably buy a few himself. :p

It's all about knowing your place in this world...

TMB
10-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Some day, there will not be a LBS!

:rolleyes:

I should pay twice as much for a product ............... why???

oldpotatoe
10-20-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm not sure why you feel that way.

LBS have their place, the ones that succeed have changed their ways to draw customers for reasons other than parts sales. I have picked my LBS of choice after going through 5 or 6 in the area, most of which are terrible and could die as far as I care.

My shop of choice though understands that there are internet deals, and will give me better prices on most items because he understands that I will return time and time again if he treats me right (and he's totally right, I go to him for fit advice, which is 100% money in his pocket). However if someone is blowing out a SRAM Red BB30 crankset for $300 after coupons, he's not gonna match that and he knows it. Hell, it's probably below his cost. Even he isn't gonna tell me not to get it...he'd probably buy a few himself. :p

It's all about knowing your place in this world...

Does he understand that when he discounts(unless he marks the stuff up more than the industry recognized MINIMUM of 35% margin) he looses money and unless he makes it up with volume or someplace else, he is gonna be history? BTW, fit advice isn't 100% money in his pocket, assuming you mean profit. He has overhead, rent, insurance, payroll, utilities, etc so it costs him something to just be open.

Most bike shops buy from most of the same distributors in the US and must apply a margin to at least break even(that is, make zero profit but incur no debt), and stay in biz. Bike shops that are doing well recognize they need to specialize in things you cannot get online, like service.

jlwdm
10-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Bike shops that are doing well recognize they need to specialize in things you cannot get online, like service.

There are plenty of great bike shops out there that will always be around. Service is the key. Shops that know everything about product are invaluable - there are so many choices these days. The shop can save you a lot of time and money. Based on earned trust.

Great to be able to try on shoes or clothes also. I would never try on at a shop and then buy online.

Jeff

rice rocket
10-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Does he understand that when he discounts(unless he marks the stuff up more than the industry recognized MINIMUM of 35% margin) he looses money and unless he makes it up with volume or someplace else, he is gonna be history? BTW, fit advice isn't 100% money in his pocket, assuming you mean profit. He has overhead, rent, insurance, payroll, utilities, etc so it costs him something to just be open.

Most bike shops buy from most of the same distributors in the US and must apply a margin to at least break even(that is, make zero profit but incur no debt), and stay in biz. Bike shops that are doing well recognize they need to specialize in things you cannot get online, like service.
I'm not there to run his business. All I know is he gives me good prices, service, and respect (something seemingly hard to find in the LBS industry), and I come back. He's been open for almost 10 years now, and his sales keep growing. I think he said this year he broke his all time yearly sales record in July and still has 5 months to go.

No offense, but you sound like someone who tried and got it wrong.

jeo99
10-20-2010, 03:44 PM
I should pay twice as much for a product ............... why???

I do not believe that in anyway I suggested you pay any(twice) amount. I was just curious as to the novelty of buying offshore. However, it is obvious by the preponderance or responses that generally it is about the almighty dollar.

jeo99
10-20-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm not there to run his business. All I know is he gives me good prices, service, and respect (something seemingly hard to find in the LBS industry), and I come back. He's been open for almost 10 years now, and his sales keep growing. I think he said this year he broke his all time yearly sales record in July and still has 5 months to go.

Interesting! Apparently your local bikeshop is the exception per the attached:

http://nbda.com/articles/industry-overview-2009-pg34.htm

;)

rice rocket
10-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Interesting! Apparently your local bikeshop is the exception per the attached:

http://nbda.com/articles/industry-overview-2009-pg34.htm

;)
Getting off topic now, but why all the skepticism? Lifted right off their site:

"As of July 14, 2010 we have surpassed last year's record breaking sales. And we still have over 2 months left! "

http://www.bigbangbikes.com/

He's doing it better than everyone else it seems...I can see why you're all jealous. ;)

Great guy, great prices, great service, I don't ever feel a need to go to any other LBS. Perhaps he doesn't extend the same prices to all customers so he can stay afloat...again I'm not running his business for him. That said, I've never walked into a shop and seen so many people willing to give him their money. Lots of repeat customers for sure, most seem like they're well informed about cycling.

Edit: oh, I guess I got the months wrong, their fiscal year doesn't match the calendar year, but that doesn't take away from his runaway success.

jeo99
10-20-2010, 11:28 PM
"skepticism" I am merely citing facts. 20% reduction in sales is significant! Once again, I regress, Big Bang is the exception and GOOD for them! Also curious, why the name "Rice Rocket"?

soulspinner
10-21-2010, 06:46 AM

+100

RADaines
10-21-2010, 07:38 AM
I received an e-mail from my LBS yesterday thanking all of their customers for making 2010 great. They saw an increase in all departments: accessories, bikes, service. I spend a lot of money at this shop for service/parts, clothing so I don't feel guilty when I purchase from the Internet if I can save a significant chunk of cash. If an item is something that the LBS usually stocks, then I will probably buy from them, however for special orders I usually go online. This is a great little shop with great people. Maybe this is not typical, I know I have never gone back to my previous LBS since switching.

oldpotatoe
10-21-2010, 07:42 AM

My bike shop is thriving thanks, best year ever in the 10 I have been open. BUT I have come to realize that service is where margin lives, not in bicycles(lowest margin) and not in parts, with internet sale discounts. I give a few discounts but by and large, I place the same margin on everything, to be able to keep the lights on and not have any debt(I have none).

A small US shop competing with deeply discounted offshore resellers is a plan for closure is what my point is.

jemoryl
10-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Never had a bad packaging experience with PBK - including a crankset.

My only complaint, not due to any shop, is my credit card provider charges a "foreign transaction fee." I appreciate how Wiggle and Ribble both allown payment via PayPal avoiding the fee.

Chain Reaction is also great.

Yeah, most of the banks have slapped on a 3% foreign currency fee. You might want to pick up a MC or Visa card issued by Capitol One - they are one bank that hasn't done this yet. Great for foreign vacations, too.