PDA

View Full Version : Serotta in Frankfurt Ride Report

jeffg
04-25-2005, 05:24 AM
With apologies to our own Carpe Diem, I just thought I would add another note about Serotta fellowship. Having just moved to Frankfurt and done most of my riding either on the trainer or on weekends in the Black Forest, I was anxious to try some local routes. Carpe Diem was kind enough to invite me for a run up the local mountain, the Grosser Feldberg.

As we started out, it began to pour in typical spring fashion, but we decided to carry on for the 14km climb to the top. It was a great ride, though the descent was seeming less attractive with the wet and the fact I was starting to shiver a bit. Once my generous host offered to have his lovely wife pick us up and that we get an isotonic pick-me-up (German wheat beer, Hefeweizen), I had trouble motivating myself for any further riding and we headed indoors.

Lessons learned:

1. Climbing in the rain can be glorious, but see thread on proper rain gear if you are going to be descending.

2. Carpe Diem must have the lightest Ottrott I have yet seen. It is about 15.5 pounds soaking wet and it is not a small frame. It is a lovely bike, and quite practical with the exception of the full carbon AX lightness saddle! In fact, it is about 1lb lighter than the Hampsten/Parlee I was riding since that bike has a Chorus kit with standard Thomson/Ritchey parts. The comparison also holds for the complete package: I could shave some weight on both the ride and the rider, but I doubt Mr. Diem could ;)

3. Serotta makes beautiful bikes, and the hosting of this forum is a great service for owners and non-owners alike. :banana: :banana: :banana:

KKevin
04-25-2005, 06:10 AM
I remember riding up the Grosser Feldberg when I was station in Germany in 1991. I miss the terrain from that area.

spiderlake
04-25-2005, 08:08 AM
I too have also ridden that mountain! I was stationed in the Hanau/Frankfurt area for 4 years (88-92) and logged thousands of miles during my two tours. In addition to simply logging miles, my bike was my main mode of transportation. The bike trail system in Germany is out of this world.

There used to be a huge riding contingent in Frankfurt (mostly officers) that would do group rides on Tues and Thurs nights. I used to hook up with them about once a month since I always felt a bit out of place as an enlisted person. They left from Abrams Kaserne.

Enjoy your time in Frankfurt!