PDA

View Full Version : The Official "Why Are You Awake?" Thread

ti_boi
10-19-2010, 02:40 AM
Well? It seems that I go to sleep really early. This began when my little girl was born, we started to keep her sleep schedule. I got used to it and really liked it. Go figure. This means that sometimes I go to sleep and wake back up in the middle of the night. Energized but the house is really quiet so it is a great time to catch up on reading or correspondence. Sometimes though I think people are freaked out to get an email from me at 3 am. I actually like having the time to myself though. Seems that the creative juices also flow at this early/late hour. Often I will then go back to sleep for a couple of hours and feel pretty darn good the rest of the day (which ends early for me as i teach) so there you have it. :beer:

Dave B
10-19-2010, 02:44 AM
Well, mine has more to do with insomnia. I sleep about 1 to 3 hours a night and am now trying melatonin to see if there is any difference. Have been up for awhile and don't feel bad, just awake. Wake my wife up in a few hours to get ready for school. We both teach.

She feels bad for me, but kind of likes when she wakes up and breakfast is made and the bills are paid. She must not feel that bad! ;)

haneriali
10-19-2010, 04:11 AM
I normally arise at 4.30, but some days I awaken much earlier. I've gotten comfortable to get up whenever (2.30 this morning) and read, grab some office time (I work for a UK-based company, so corresponding with my London colleagues in their AM is valuable), wash the cars, do bike maintenance, etc. Surfing the net is great in the early AM -- network is usually fast, except during maintenance cycles. I'm lucky, too, that my spouse wakes early, because it provides us with high-quality couples time. Oh, and I love the sunrises!

dsimon
10-19-2010, 04:14 AM
well Im in Iraq so Im 8 hours ahead of cental time thats why im always up so early

dave thompson
10-19-2010, 04:17 AM
I'm awake because someone on the Internet is wrong!

Actually I'm awake because my cat and dog both decided to sleep on me because I was warmer than where they were.

NateM
10-19-2010, 04:24 AM
Just got home from work and a nice cool, rainy ride thru NYC to NJ.Having a snack and checking the Classified.Good Night

Ken Robb
10-19-2010, 04:38 AM
I'm up to keep Thompson company.

1centaur
10-19-2010, 05:02 AM
Starting the East Coast work day in my usual spot.

BryanE
10-19-2010, 05:10 AM
Old people wake up early.
I'm old.
BE

Ray
10-19-2010, 05:50 AM
I've always been an early riser - got me in trouble in my young partying days because I'd stay out 'til 3 and still get up by 6 or 6:30. I'm always up with my wife at about 5 or 5:15 as she gets ready for work. And its not unusual for me to wake up even a bit earlier. For me, sleeping late is about 7 or 7:30 - always feels like I've wasted half the day. :)

And sometimes I just fall asleep really early and wake up in the middle of the night for a couple of hours and will usually read, check email and forums, etc if I don't fall back to sleep quickly.

This isn't early at all, but I've posted stuff here in the middle of the night and no doubt will again sometime.

-Ray

Dekonick
10-19-2010, 07:33 AM
I am up because a$$holes try to drive drunk in the rain on I95 - and crash...
and because (probably) drunken a$$ pulled a fire alarm station...
and because some commercial fire alarms were going off...
and because now it is time to pack the kids off to school...

then I plan on taking a several hour nap... :beer:

rant over

c'mon school bus!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Of course this all started somewhere after 2 AM - when they let @$$holes out of bars with keys in hand :crap:

dogdriver
10-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Nice thread, Mr ti.

Although I saw it too late for an impressive time stamp, most of the above apply.

With small humans in the house and a night owl wife, if I want any solitude, its from 4-6:30 AM. I hear the little buggers rallying even as I type.

With 50 a few months away, 6 hours of continuous sleep is a rare and wondrous event. 10PM to 4AM ain't so bad...

Off to kid lunch boxes and the school bus...

oliver1850
10-19-2010, 08:14 AM

Steve in SLO
10-19-2010, 10:28 AM
I'm awake for one of two reasons:
Everyone gets to bed at about 9:30 so it's my time to read or strum the guitar.
or
I am on call and the hospital has just paged or called me to come in and care for a patient.

Dekonick
10-19-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm awake for one of two reasons:
Everyone gets to bed at about 9:30 so it's my time to read or strum the guitar.
or
I am on call and the hospital has just paged or called me to come in and care for a patient.

Should have gone into dermatology... there are no dermatology emergencies that can't wait a few months... right? :beer:

Steve in SLO
10-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Should have gone into dermatology... there are no dermatology emergencies that can't wait a few months... right? :beer:
Except that dark mole on your back...

SPOKE
10-19-2010, 06:07 PM
my work day starts about 5:30am. If i didn't do the job someone else probably would :cool:

Dekonick
10-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Except that dark mole on your back...

Yes - but even that dark mole can wait until 9am the next day...

Louis
10-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Actually I'm awake because my cat and dog both decided to sleep on me because I was warmer than where they were.

Awwww, how sweet. Dave, I take back everything mean I said about you. ;)

When it's really cold I put heating pads at the foot of the bed for the cats, but it's not quite that cold yet.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=19773&stc=1

gemship
10-20-2010, 02:12 PM
I am up because a$$holes try to drive drunk in the rain on I95 - and crash...
and because (probably) drunken a$$ pulled a fire alarm station...
and because some commercial fire alarms were going off...
and because now it is time to pack the kids off to school...

then I plan on taking a several hour nap... :beer:

rant over

c'mon school bus!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Of course this all started somewhere after 2 AM - when they let @$$holes out of bars with keys in hand :crap:

Almost sounds like some A-hole justified your existence :beer:

dave thompson
10-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Almost sounds like some A-hole justified your existence :beer:
It's the nature of his job.

gemship
10-20-2010, 02:44 PM
It's the nature of his job.

yep, driving drunks are their bread and butter, should almost be thanking them :beer:

dave thompson
10-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Awwww, how sweet. Dave, I take back everything mean I said about you. ;)

When it's really cold I put heating pads at the foot of the bed for the cats, but it's not quite that cold yet.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=19773&stc=1
Electric blankets for cats?!?!?! Why? They wear real fur coats for criminitly. Louis, you're going all soft and fuzzy on us.

Louis
10-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Electric blankets for cats?!?!?! Why? They wear real fur coats for criminitly. Louis, you're going all soft and fuzzy on us.

In winter I set the thermostat at ~57*-58* and they don't seem to like that.

I don't think 58* is soft but I guess for some folks it is ;)

dave thompson
10-20-2010, 03:28 PM
In winter I set the thermostat at ~57*-58* and they don't seem to like that.

I don't think 58* is soft but I guess for some folks it is ;)
58* would have been very toasty on the day that I took this pic of our thermometer! (I sent this picture to our son who was in Iraq at the time and whining about how it almost got down to freezing there at night.)

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3646/freezejpg.jpg (http://img59.imageshack.us/i/freezejpg.jpg/)

Dekonick
10-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Don't get me wrong - I have plenty of business without drunks. I just get really ticked when inebriated drivers hurt others. In this case, he hit another fellow and then took off running (couldn't drive car) into the woods next to the interstate. I hope he got a lot of ticks...

erolorhun
10-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Not sure. I actually end up late just by browsing around and reading about things that interest me and then I really have to force myself to go to bed.

The primary stay-up-late subject atm is sourcing a titanium road frame

67-59
10-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Wow - and I never knew that "am" came in single digits. Learn something new every day....

ti_boi
10-21-2010, 02:30 AM
:beer:

ti_boi
10-21-2010, 03:02 AM
Currently catching up on the news, reading guitar reviews, and listening to some atmospheric new-age type music. Wondering how I got so lucky and hoping the luck continues. Best to all. :cool:

giverdada
10-21-2010, 06:04 AM
can't remember the last time i slept past 9 in the morning, and that was an out of body blissful sleep-in experience. usually it's ten to six when a curly-haired wonder comes marching into our room and declares 'lake up time!'. today we're so ahead of schedule, we'll have to wait for daycare to open before we even leave the house. i'm with the guy who said that it feels like half the day's over when getting up after 7. my dad used to say that at 11:45am - well, day's almost over...

TimmyB
10-21-2010, 06:11 AM
there are two reasons I rarely make it to bed before 4am:

1. I've suffered from insomnia my entire life.

2. Procrastination/Going to Cal.

Tonight specifically I'm still up because I couldn't fall asleep, so I decided to finish building a website for a new Berkeley student bike coop I'm involved with. Maybe I'll watch to the sun rise again this morning! About now truley is my favourite time of the day (well, technically night). It's quite out. There is no rumble of cars or commotion of people out and about. No one is awake to hassle you. All is quite. All is peaceful. All is great! :beer:

ti_boi
11-22-2010, 04:19 AM
Awake and getting ready for the shortened week. 61 degrees here today!

Watched a really moving film with Woody Harrelson called 'the Messenger' last night. Early to bed, early to rise! :banana:

Showered and shaved and left the goatee. Time for the seasonal hair growth! :banana:

William
11-22-2010, 04:44 AM
Been up since 3:00. It's a good time to work with out being interrupted. The solitude is nice. :)

William

d_douglas
11-22-2010, 05:56 AM
I am 6 to 9 (EST to PST) hrs ahead of most folks here, as I live in Switzerland. If I post at 1am EST, I have just finished my breakfast.

Otherwise, my one year old waking up screaming from teething pain is the other reason that I may be posting at a ridiculous hour. My wife can fall right back asleep but I am wired after calming baby down.

kohlboto
11-22-2010, 07:32 AM
With an 13 month old son I don't always have a say in my sleep patterns but I usually get up at 5:00 am during the week. I have a 15-20 minute walk to work so I try to get there by 6:30 am to get my prep work done.
I, for one, love early mornings. For me, it's a time to relax, have a cup of heavenly french press, watch the news/sports highlights/HGTV, surf the net...it's the only time during day that truly belongs to me. The solitude and serenity provide a balanced start to a usually full-paced day.

SEABREEZE
11-22-2010, 08:56 AM
There is a Dr by the name of Peter Adamo who wrote a book titled Eat Right fo your Blood Type., He recommends going to bed when it gets dark and awakening when it gets light, as the chickens do. Has to do with our internal clock. Also about the harmone being released with the internal clock settings. Go to bed late and the harmone isnt released as it would be going to bed early..

My Grandmother lived by the rule go to bed early and wake up early. She wasnt aware of Dr Adamo nor read his book.

FWIW... Shed lived till she was 98, and never sick a day in her life, died of old age..

There may be something to it...

ti_boi
11-23-2010, 02:22 AM
Well, I just stumbled across a modified amp -- a Fender Blues Jr made to a Matchless Lightning Spec....will wonders never cease? Listened to a little John Prine....and am as giddy as a school girl! :banana:

flydhest
11-23-2010, 02:50 AM
Been up since 3:00. It's a good time to work with out being interrupted. The solitude is nice. :)

William

I often get up early to do work instead of staying up late. After a whole day in the office, I just want to unwind. If I am going to give up sleep, I take the sleep first and then get up and work in the quiet.

ti_boi
11-23-2010, 02:56 AM
What is strange to me is how 'little' sleep I now need. At 44 I can easily get by on as little as four hours a night. It is just plain weird. Then again I do not have a soul sucking corporate sales job like the ones that kept me busy in my twenties and thirties. So the cognitive dissonance factor is lower and less of a strain. ;)

ti_boi
12-14-2010, 02:04 AM
Why am I awake....visions of sugarplums! And these:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33588433@N04/3811008574/in/photostream/

rice rocket
12-14-2010, 02:43 AM
Holy seatpost!

I'm finishing up Christmas shopping. Just want to get this done and not have to think about it anymore.

thendenjeck
12-14-2010, 03:25 AM
grad school apps X(

Ray
12-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Because I woke up early with my wife, heard that the Phillies had signed Cliff Lee again, about ???? myself, and couldn't go back to sleep!

Maybe the Yanks can take Joe Blanton off our hands as a consolation prize...

Waaaaaa Hooooooo!

-Ray

ti_boi
12-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Because I woke up early with my wife, heard that the Phillies had signed Cliff Lee again, about ???? myself, and couldn't go back to sleep!

Maybe the Yanks can take Joe Blanton off our hands as a consolation prize...

Waaaaaa Hooooooo!

-Ray

Spurning the Yanks in favor of a former spurner.......my wife will be happy! Me I am more like :confused:

Ray
12-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Spurning the Yanks in favor of a former spurner.......my wife will be happy! Me I am more like :confused:
He really liked it here. He liked the team, the manager, the organization, his wife liked the area. He was pretty open about being very seriously bummed when they traded him LAST year and they only did that because they knew they could lock up Halliday at that point and they didn't think they'd be able to keep Lee for more than last year. According to the reporting, he'd been in close touch with a lot of guys on the Phillies team during the season telling them he wanted to come back. And HIS people had to goose the Phillies into getting into the game - they didn't think they had a shot. People around here don't know quite how to react - nobody's ever bent over this far backwards to COME TO Philly before - they're usually heading the other direction.

Obviously, no hard feelings between him and the organization.

Jeez, what a rotation! I was a little kid in Baltimore when the Orioles had four 20 game winners. That'll never happen again in this more specialized era, but I can't think of a better four man rotation since then. MAYBE Atlanta one of those years. Of course, this guarantees nothing, but it sure puts them in a good position to be right in the chase for the next few years.

-Ray

Matt-H
12-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Ugh... Up all night with my oldest son. Nasty little virus!

97CSI
12-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Of course, this guarantees nothing, but it sure puts them in a good position to be right in the chase for the next few years. -RayEspecially if we can't get Howard and the rest to swing their bats more effectively in any post-season play. I can see it now......... 0-to-0 in the 22nd inning.

On the original topic, I'm up early or in bed late as sleep is a waste of one's life. Wish I could get by on zero. Unfortunately I need 4-5 per night, on average.

ti_boi
12-14-2010, 08:38 AM
He really liked it here. He liked the team, the manager, the organization, his wife liked the area. He was pretty open about being very seriously bummed when they traded him LAST year and they only did that because they knew they could lock up Halliday at that point and they didn't think they'd be able to keep Lee for more than last year. According to the reporting, he'd been in close touch with a lot of guys on the Phillies team during the season telling them he wanted to come back. And HIS people had to goose the Phillies into getting into the game - they didn't think they had a shot. People around here don't know quite how to react - nobody's ever bent over this far backwards to COME TO Philly before - they're usually heading the other direction.

Obviously, no hard feelings between him and the organization.

Jeez, what a rotation! I was a little kid in Baltimore when the Orioles had four 20 game winners. That'll never happen again in this more specialized era, but I can't think of a better four man rotation since then. MAYBE Atlanta one of those years. Of course, this guarantees nothing, but it sure puts them in a good position to be right in the chase for the next few years.

-Ray

$50M is a lot of like! In fact it says something really great about the athlete and is a contrast to others in the game. Bravo!! Just might make me a Phillies fan afterall. The wife loves em. Her dad loves em. :cool: And you just cannot beat the food. And then there is this....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1T71PGd-J0

ti_boi
12-15-2010, 01:30 AM
Paying a few bills...(wink, wink) and getting really jazzed about my hardtail.

Also chatting with an old pal on facebook and missing Kentucky!! Gotta get back there this spring for sure. :beer:

RkyMtn
12-15-2010, 01:49 AM
Neat thread, indeed.

I like 9 hours of sleep, regardless of the time I go to sleep.

I can sleep more or less hours. But when not under pressure, I sleep about 9 hours.

As for when I sleep, I have gravitated to a late to sleep, late to rise preference.
This is mostly due to TV, this forum, reading, meditation and other desired activities.

rice rocket
12-15-2010, 02:01 AM
Someone just sent me this.

http://thehoverhand.com/

ti_boi
12-16-2010, 02:42 AM
I kind of like this chick....and her art

http://www.taramcpherson.com/

97CSI
12-16-2010, 04:04 AM
Slept crooked and my left knee aches. Time for some aspirin/tylenol.

ti_boi
12-21-2010, 03:24 AM
:cool: Once every 435 years or so

William
12-21-2010, 04:02 AM
Ummmmmmm latte'. :beer:

William

dogdriver
12-21-2010, 05:23 AM
Nicely done, Ti Boi. Hope you catch the next one...

As for me, early rise to clear the driveway and get to work on a snowy day. Still trying to find the solution to not working on days that it snow more than 6 inches. Is there an app for that?

ti_boi
12-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Nicely done, Ti Boi. Hope you catch the next one...

As for me, early rise to clear the driveway and get to work on a snowy day. Still trying to find the solution to not working on days that it snow more than 6 inches. Is there an app for that?

Jeremiah Johnson: The Injuns put you here?
Del Gue: T'weren't Mormons.

William
12-22-2010, 04:08 AM
By the time I post up here in the a.m, I've already been up for a couple hours. :banana:

William

1happygirl
01-08-2011, 03:55 AM
Neat thread, indeed.

I like 9 hours of sleep, regardless of the time I go to sleep.

I can sleep more or less hours. But when not under pressure, I sleep about 9 hours.

As for when I sleep, I have gravitated to a late to sleep, late to rise preference.
This is mostly due to TV, this forum, reading, meditation and other desired activities.
Well put.
Ditto for me, but the late sleep/late rise is not conducive to my earning money lately.

Always up, never sure why. Can't sleep/woke up sounds so generic. I usually wake up earlier then I'm supposed to. I guess I'm afraid my alarm/back up alarm won't work!

Hungry, but trying not to eat. Dieting is so hard! Watching women's cross from Europe on Universal Sports. (found it by accident)

troymac
01-08-2011, 05:11 AM
Because I work nights driving a big brown truck down the freeway from 5:30 pm to 5:30am 5 days a week. Not complaining it more than pays the bills and allows my wife to be a full time homemaker ( now that's a hard job) and I'm grateful for it. I'm able to use my iPhone on breaks and lunch to frequent this forum.

97CSI
01-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Watching it snow. Coming straight down with zero wind. Very small flakes. Argh....... horrible stuff.

ti_boi
03-01-2011, 02:18 AM
It is the second night in a row that my dog decided she had to go outside -- and then I read a nasty email from a little sh*t that I bought a $400 item from on eBay and I responded to him via email. And next thing you know I log into the forum. And then....well :cool:

I can't think of a better group of dudes to share the night/morning :beer: with!

Fixed
03-01-2011, 05:46 AM
since i started riding again i have unbridled energy i sleep less and wake up full of vitality what a change from a few months ago
i wake a couple of times during the night feeling very good . i'll check the forum and do a couple of post cause my my mind is clear as a bell

cheers

ti_boi
03-01-2011, 05:48 AM
since i started riding again i have unbridled energy i sleep less and wake up full of vitality what a change from a few months ago
i wake a couple of times during the night feeling very good . i'll check the forum and do a couple of post cause my my mind is clear as a bell

cheers

Yeah baby! I find my sleep hours are cut back a lot. I am also running at higher RPMs and the mind winds up. Keep those cards and letters coming!

giverdada
03-01-2011, 06:02 AM
i haven't woken up so much in my life as i have lately, and it's just like that: full of energy, and generally satisfied. been working through a bunch of crap these days, and then the end of day hour on the trainer in the kitchen just clears everything. it's like clearing my cache. got up this morning to read some posts, stumbled around on my tired legs, my head full of satisfaction. thank goodness it's almost spring. :hello:

1happygirl
03-18-2011, 12:15 AM
Coughing.
And posting on the forum...

Bike racing on Universal Sports. I love this channel.