PDA

View Full Version : Best Free Image Hosting Site

Keith A
10-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Since we still have the attachments turned off, I thought I'd get some input on which free image hosting sites you guys like the best. I know there are a number of them out there to choose from and I don't want waste time looking at all of them. According this article (http://www.techieblogger.com/2009/09/free-image-hosting-and-photo-sharing-sites.html) the author liked Picasa the best.

BTW, being able to link images is important feature that would like and I'm not sure all of them all this.

rice rocket
10-18-2010, 07:36 PM
I use imgur.com. Usually when I upload them, I don't really care to reference them again at a later date. It's simple, it's anonymous. No signing up or anything.

bobswire
10-18-2010, 07:45 PM
One of, if not the best and easiest site to use.

http://tinypic.com/

http://i34.tinypic.com/2zjat0g.jpg

phcollard
10-18-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm pretty happy with Photobucket.

Before I was on pBase but the reliability of their site has gone downhill.

rice rocket
10-18-2010, 07:51 PM
One of, if not the best and easiest site to use.

http://tinypic.com/
tinypic bothers me now, they make you type in some code on each pic you upload. imgur is the same, except you can upload multiple at once, and you don't have to deal w/ silly codes on each upload.

bobswire
10-18-2010, 07:54 PM
tinypic bothers me now, they make you type in some code on each pic you upload. imgur is the same, except you can upload multiple at once, and you don't have to deal w/ silly codes on each upload.

I only have to use a code if I don't sign in also I can do 5 photos at a time on tinypic.

TMB
10-18-2010, 08:02 PM
picasa.

easy.

Just works.

BengeBoy
10-18-2010, 08:10 PM
tinypic

photobucket

dimsy
10-18-2010, 08:19 PM
http://imageshack.us

eddief
10-18-2010, 08:21 PM
flickr=sucks. i like picasa. almost intuitive.

Lifelover
10-18-2010, 09:45 PM
I use flickr simply because I can do it with the a single mouse click from Iphoto.

rice rocket
10-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Flickr is "social photo hosting", not really a picture dump.

Lifelover
10-19-2010, 05:29 AM
Flickr is "social photo hosting", not really a picture dump.

What is the difference?

Ray
10-19-2010, 05:58 AM
I've used others, including photobucket and picassa (briefly), in the past. When I got a Mac about a year ago, Flickr became the path of least resistance because Iphoto and Aperture will automatically link to your Flickr account so its a one click process to put stuff up there. I started using it, now have a pro account so I can post an unlimited amount of stuff and put up BIG images - I forget what I pay for it - no more than $20-25 per year I think. I've gotten pretty heavily back into photography in the past 6 months or so, so having more capacity and options matters to me now. Very easy to arrange stuff into sets or collections, very easy to link from. Handles videos too, but I don't have a lot of experience with that. I've since come to not like the one-click thing from Aperture, so I tend to just export jpegs and upload them manually, but I've gotten really used to the way Flickr is laid out and works, so I'm sticking with it.

They're all pretty good. And they all have their quirks. Just find one you like and learn its little idiosyncrasies and you'll be fine. I'd say go with one of the big ones that's likely to be around for a while. I belonged to one a few years ago that went belly up and I lost a lot of photos that, being an idiot and not very into photography at the time, I didn't have good backups for. That wouldn't happen to me now, but I'd still rather be on a site that's not likely to disappear tomorrow.

-Ray

Lifelover
10-19-2010, 01:03 PM
I've used others, including photobucket and picassa (briefly), in the past. When I got a Mac about a year ago, Flickr became the path of least resistance because Iphoto and Aperture will automatically link to your Flickr account so its a one click process to put stuff up there. I started using it, now have a pro account so I can post an unlimited amount of stuff and put up BIG images - I forget what I pay for it - no more than $20-25 per year I think. I've gotten pretty heavily back into photography in the past 6 months or so, so having more capacity and options matters to me now. Very easy to arrange stuff into sets or collections, very easy to link from. Handles videos too, but I don't have a lot of experience with that. I've since come to not like the one-click thing from Aperture, so I tend to just export jpegs and upload them manually, but I've gotten really used to the way Flickr is laid out and works, so I'm sticking with it.

They're all pretty good. And they all have their quirks. Just find one you like and learn its little idiosyncrasies and you'll be fine. I'd say go with one of the big ones that's likely to be around for a while. I belonged to one a few years ago that went belly up and I lost a lot of photos that, being an idiot and not very into photography at the time, I didn't have good backups for. That wouldn't happen to me now, but I'd still rather be on a site that's not likely to disappear tomorrow.

-Ray

Can you effectively use Flickr pro as a photo backup source?

I'm lazy and have grown a little concerned about having all my backups sitting on a hard drive that is right next to my computer.

I have looked at Apeture on the Apple site but I'm still a little confused. Does it allow cut and paste from pic to pic like photoshop?

BumbleBeeDave
02-01-2011, 10:06 AM
. . . so I could find this thread again.

We're looking for a good way to publicly post the photos I shot of Obama here at the GE plant several weeks ago.

The idea is to post them publicly, but in a password protected gallery and we could give the password to employees. They would be able to conveniently view all the photos (I shot almost 450) and download full-res files if they like to make prints with.

Does Flickr allow a password-protected galery with full-res download? If not, is there another service out there that does?

Thanks!

BBD

rice rocket
02-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Flickr doesn't do that as far as I know. When you post, you post it publicly.

Picasa will do what you want.

troymac
02-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Here's a good one it also looks nice very easy interface
http://www.slickpic.com/

Likes2ridefar
02-01-2011, 02:23 PM
I've used photobucket and picasa quite a bit. I originally preferred photobucket, but have recently returned to picasa due to it's seamless integration with Chrome and picnik.

google has a new app/website that's called picnik which offers very easy photo management and fairly robust and simple photo editing as well as linking with all of your sites that have photos like a blog, facebook, picasa, photobucket, etc.

rnhood
02-01-2011, 06:34 PM
. . . so I could find this thread again.

Does Flickr allow a password-protected galery with full-res download? If not, is there another service out there that does?

Thanks!

BBD

Zenfolio does this. I suspect most pro type photo sites will do this as well (pbase, etc). But Zenfolio is easy to use, offers a lot of features and has an excellent jpeg engine for conversions (downsizing).