PDA

View Full Version : 96 CSI...install carbon fork? Tell me what to expect

Kingfisher
10-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Thinking of getting my beloved csi repainted, so maybe now is the time to consider putting an ouzo pro or whatever, carbon fork on her. I LOVE this bike now, the way it feels, handles, corners, etc. I've got a C-dale caad 9 with a carbon fork and it does dampen road shock, but what can I expect with a carbon on this csi.

I know someone has probably done this to their csi.

Thanks

Lifelover
10-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Not sure how it will impact the ride but you can expect the carbon fork to explode suddenly for no apparent reason. :beer:

thwart
10-16-2010, 03:30 PM
I LOVE this bike now, the way it feels, handles, corners, etc. I see a chance here for you to save some money.

Lionel
10-16-2010, 03:37 PM
You can expect to be sorry. If you love it, keep it that way.

alexstar
10-16-2010, 03:37 PM
I see a chance here for you to save some money.

Agreed! Stick with what works.

AndrewS
10-16-2010, 03:45 PM
I like a nice upgrade, too, but I'm going to go with my fellows on this one. There are only two kinds of really nice road forks: Carbon and lugged steel. And lugged steel forks only look good with lugged steel frames, so I'd keep it.

Since you're getting it painted already, I would be curious how much it would cost to have the steerer tube replaced with a threadless one. It may be a relatively cheap swap out since it is only one part. This would make the bike a hair more modern, and decrease a little weight. Just throwing that out there.

dbh
10-16-2010, 05:15 PM
I always thought carbon forks never looked right with lugged steel frames. If you're just trying to get ride of road buzz, try gel bar tape, running your tires at slightly lower PSIs, or using 25mm tires.

Louis
10-16-2010, 05:32 PM
I'll pile on:

If you like it as it is, then change for the sake of change doesn't make any sense. The steel fork is more appropriate for that frame, so unless the existing fork needs to be replaced for some structural reason, I'd keep it.

Edit: I forgot to answer the original question.

A long time ago I replaced the steel fork on my lugged Trek 400 (because of an accident) with a Kestrel EMS Pro. The only significant difference I noticed is that bumps and railroad tracks went "thud" instead of "twang." Other than that, nothing that I could discern.

Louis

Ken Robb
10-16-2010, 05:50 PM
my CSi came new with F1 carbon fork and it rode great. As I recall Ben said the F1 was designed to ride as well as their steel forks. It MAY have saved a little weight but not a lot due to its steel steerer. If you now have a threaded steerer on the steel fork you will obviously need a stem too. I think Serotta steel forks look better than carbon forks especially on a bike with lugs.

Pete Serotta
10-16-2010, 06:21 PM
my CSi came new with F1 carbon fork and it rode great. As I recall Ben said the F1 was designed to ride as well as their steel forks. It MAY have saved a little weight but not a lot due to its steel steerer. If you now have a threaded steerer on the steel fork you will obviously need a stem too. I think Serotta steel fork
s look better than carbon forks especially on a bike with lugs.
:beer: said well.

If you want a new fork steel (David Kirk I think still offers these) or Serotta F3 or S3 is fine Both can be tuned to ride you want.

If nothing wrong with your fork....keep it and just get new paint and decals.

F1 is still on my Ti and rides well. The only thing that does not work on it is a 25mm tire. :D

PETE

trophyoftexas
10-16-2010, 07:39 PM
...and as far as ride quality I can't say that I prefer one over the other...BUT, as far as how they look, no contest, steel, hands down! Here are a couple of links that will allow you to compare the two different looks pretty well since the bikes have almost identical paint jobs. One the page that is about the one with TdF lugs, scroll down about halfway to see the current look that I'm talking about, the top photos are of the way the bike was previously built.

http://trophyoftexas.com/about/serotta_csi_w.htm
http://trophyoftexas.com/about/serotta_csi.htm

dd74
10-17-2010, 01:36 AM
T of T you have two gorgeous bicycles. Congrats! It makes me wish Serotta would once again build a lugged bike. I'd buy it in the 7-11 livery.

Pete Serotta
10-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Real LUST!!! Come visit NC with them :D :D

PETE

jeo99
10-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Perfection!

:) :)

Birddog
10-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Trophy, that first bike has had more face lifts than Joan Rivers.

Ken Robb
10-17-2010, 01:56 PM

Maybe so, but the bike always looks GOOD---- :beer:

trophyoftexas
10-17-2010, 08:48 PM

....but I think those performed on the bike have had a more pleasing result!