PDA

View Full Version : Help please: Campy 11 cassette issue

CNY rider
10-16-2010, 07:46 AM
I'm stumped. :confused:
The problem: Finishing a new bike build. My first to have Campy 11 speed.
Went to put the rear wheel in the dropouts, and the right side of the cassette (the 12 tooth) is very close to the right stay. So close that when the chain is on the stay interferes with it.

The wheel has a 32 h White Industries H3 which is supposed to be Campy 11 compatible. It is a new wheel handbuilt by Peter White. 130 spacing. The cassette is brand new Chorus 11 straight from the box. I put the cassette on myself, and have taken it off to check for gaps or sloppy assembly several times. All the spacers appear to be in the correct places, there are uniform gaps between cogs and everything tightens nicely with the lockring.

I think the problem is the wheel and cassette, not the frame because I tried the wheel in my Mariposa and Legend. On both frames the 12 cog would still be very close to the right chainstay.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

Dave
10-16-2010, 08:42 AM
What's most important is how far the face of the axle that contacts the frame protrudes beyond the face of the lockring. See if that amount seems to be much less than your other hubs. If so, there is the problem.

As a point of reference, I checked my Mavic hub with 11 speed cassette and found .065 inch of clearance between the lockring and dropout and a nearly identical .060 inch between the chain and the dropout, in the smallest (12T) cog.

CNY rider
10-16-2010, 11:59 AM
What's most important is how far the face of the axle that contacts the frame protrudes beyond the face of the lockring. See is that amount seems to be much less than your other hubs. If so, there is the problem.

As a point of reference, I checked my Mavic hub with 11 speed cassette and found .065 inch of clearance between the lockring and dropout and a nearly identical .060 inch between the chain and the dropout, in the smallest (12T) cog.

Yep, that seems to be a problem.
I hope it's a fixable one.........

Craig Ryan
10-16-2010, 12:38 PM
You say it's close on your Mariposa and Legend, but does it work? Try it on them and know for sure, then see what's different about the third frame. 11 speed needs 30mm. from the axle forward before either of the stays crosses the plane of the inner drop-out face. You could try running an 11 for your last cog. I'm assuming it all put together right. Good luck!
Craig

CNY rider
10-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Turns out it's definitely a wheel problem.
Took a wheel with Centaur hub, put the same cassette on it, fits fine.
Going to take that one out for a ride tomorrow and figure out what to do with the White Industries hub. They sat it's Campy 11 compatible; anyone else had issues with it?

leooooo
10-17-2010, 07:07 PM
I have no experience with White Industry hubs in regards to Campy 11.
Like you and probably many other Campy 11 riders, I do worry about hubs and compatibility when buying new wheels.

So far I have no problem with Tune hubs, I have laced 2 wheels to Tune hubs with out any issues.

Sorry can't help you out with your predicament, but maybe if other Campy 11 owners can chime in with what worked and didn't work for them, this thread may be a go to thread for future potential hub/wheel buyers.

Pete Serotta
10-18-2010, 05:38 AM
good experience with MAVIC but Zipp wheel needed a spacer for their "rub", (Zipp even supplied them)

cassa
10-18-2010, 07:41 AM
... what to do with the White Industries [H3] hub. They say it's Campy 11 compatible; anyone else had issues with it? I don't have the H3 because I didn't think I would go to 11 speed when I bought my wheels. I do, however, have an H2 that a wheel-builder modified to accept my 11 speed cassette (I think he added a spacer somewhere). I'm using a 12 tooth cog and I don't have any problems.

I would expect the H3 to be at least as good as my modified H2. Are you sure you have an H3 and not an older H2? Have you asked Peter about the issue?

Dave
10-18-2010, 08:21 AM
A spacer behind the cassette may cure a spoke rub problem, but it will make the chain contact with the frame even worse. If a shim washer is added, it would have to change the axle centering or the length of the axle. Some hubs have an end piece on the axle that screws into place. A washer behind that part would be an improvement.

CNY rider
10-18-2010, 06:21 PM
I spent some time on the phone today with Peter White and White Industries.
Props to both for excellent customer service.

I do have an H3 hub, but it turns out there are 2 axles made for that hub. The Campy specific axle has 2 mm more protrusion on the drive side which seems to be just what I need. Apparently I got a Shimano axle by mistake. WI is sending one out to me and the procedure to switch axles is straight forward.

So long story short, the H3 is Campy compatible, you just have to make sure that you have the right axle.