PDA

View Full Version : Which Cables?

oldguy00
10-15-2010, 11:15 AM
So, I need to re-cable one of my road bikes.
Looking at sets online, the prices seem ridiculous.
For a DA7900 set, I'm looking at about $80 (for brake and shift). ***?
Even the special Yokazuna (sp?) stuff is a bit cheaper at around $60.
Gore Ride-On Sealed Low Friction is about $75 for a full set.

The most affordable I could find was Jagwire Racer at about $35.

What have you guys been going with? :crap:

vqdriver
10-15-2010, 11:22 AM
i'm using yokozuna with no complaints.
i'm of the school that good cables will not enhance a bike's performance, but bad cables will certainly impede it.

dekindy
10-15-2010, 11:25 AM
My Serotta trained fitter, mechanic, and also a long time rider recently installed Gore cables on his new CAAD9 with Dura-Ace and is extremely pleased with the setup.

Sealed is not necessary for road applications unless you are riding in extremely dirty conditions.

xeladragon
10-15-2010, 12:49 PM
i have yokozuna cables paired with sram red on my road bike (that has barely seen a rainy day)... braking and shifting is still silky smooth after 2 yrs. i'm thinking about getting gore ride on sealed cables for the cross bike. if anyone here uses them, i'd be curious what your thoughts on them are.

bike22
10-15-2010, 12:59 PM
regular jagwire stainless cables, and regular jagwire housing. works fine, no muss, no fuss, no silly "cable systems".

cdn_bacon
10-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Gore housing with Jagwire cables. The housing was a large run by a LBS that quoted me a price of $15 for about 4.5ft.

Just watch the ebay jagwire's.
get something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/JAGWIRE-RACER-DIY-ROAD-CABLE-KIT-NEW-WHITE-/350399553166?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item519570de8e

it's the Racer kit for a whole bike.

not these:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/JAGWIRE-BRAIDED-HOUSING-CABLE-COMPLETE-KIT-TITANIUM-TI-/220681540610?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3361a51402

from China/HK/JP

I ordered a set for $15, cable liners had rust.

hope this helps.

Bob Loblaw
10-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Not a huge fan of the Gore cables. When they work well, they are comparable to other cable sets, but when they fail it all goes to hell. The cable coating tears and bunches inside the housing, causing serious binding. Your shifting will go from "fine" to "***?" in matter of a few miles. Same for braking.

I have had good results with Jagwire on bikes I have worked on, as well as Yokozuna.

On my bikes I run Velo Orange Metallic Braid Cables (http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/shifting-freewheels-cassettes/cables/vo-metallic-braid-derailleur-cable-kits.html) without complaints. They're inexpensive, they work well, and they look cool on my Ti bike.

BL

false_Aest
10-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but I never had a problem with standard cables and standard housing.

What are you guys getting with those systems that I'm not?

CHF
10-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Yokozunas are awesome. Compressionless systems make for crisp shifting and great brake modulation. There is no cable stretch and the housing is pretty good looking as well.

I've had the Gore Ride-ons and ended up having the coating rub off and gunk up the cable guide uder my BB. I do not recommend them.

Ralph
10-15-2010, 02:01 PM
On my daily rider (CAAD 5), with 9 speed Campy (combination Record, Chorus, Centaur), I'm using NASHBAR derailleur and brake cable and housing, probably bought on sale for $3-4 each. Have had them several years in parts box. Works fine. I do keep them lubed.

Use Campy Ultra's on other bike. Can't tell a lot of difference.

dmcd
10-15-2010, 10:10 PM
I like the sealed Gore cable system for my Cross bike and my Road bike that I use to commute on. Keeps the elements out and shifting nice. But as mentioned, once they do go, they go bad in a hurry, but it isn't like they fail in a month or so. I've gotten an entire season on my road bike and still working great. The only drawback is they are pricey.

Before that I was using the Jagwire stuff, no problems there, just replaced the cable and housing sooner once it got some contamination.

buldogge
10-15-2010, 10:40 PM
I run Campy gear...but when I don't use the Campy supplied cable set, I always run the Jagwire Racer sets.

Unfortunately for me, they dropped the double ended cables with Campy heads, so I also buy a pair of Campy shifter cables separately...this allows me to get colored housing, nice brakes cables, and end bits/etc. for a reasonable price (around $38 total).

-Mark in St. Louis

oldguy00
10-16-2010, 05:47 AM
Anyone used both the Jag Racer set, and the Yokazuna set?
Is the difference in performance -that- big??
I figure I can put together a 'generic' set of cables, housing, caps, etc. for about $20 - $25. The racer set is only 10 more, but the other sets add another 30+...

oldpotatoe
10-16-2010, 07:21 AM

Jagwire inner wire,5mm lined housing, also by Jagwire...about $30, complete set.

vqdriver
10-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Anyone used both the Jag Racer set, and the Yokazuna set?
Is the difference in performance -that- big??

Shimano and campy prolly not. SRAM maybe.

oldguy00
10-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks all, went with the $35 full jagwire set from PBK

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A0294

dekindy
01-19-2011, 01:20 PM
I just talked to the LBS service manager and he says that all the mechanics at the shop have switched to Gore Ride-On sealed cables. He is waiting until his wear out before he makes the switch. I am going to stick with less expensive cables for my backup bike but will probably try them when I need to replace the housings on my Legend.

Frankwurst
01-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but I never had a problem with standard cables and standard housing.

What are you guys getting with those systems that I'm not?

I'm wondering the same thing but I ride 8 & 9 speed stuff w/DT or Bar con shifters. The old stuff works and I'm stickin with it. :beer:

Ralph
01-19-2011, 07:26 PM
I do all the business I can with my LBS, bikes, clothes, shoes, etc, but stuff like cables and other small parts, I get from Ribble. Just make up a big order about once a year for that kind of stuff. You can probably get them cheaper than the LBS can buy them.

oldpotatoe
01-20-2011, 07:41 AM

trundle on down to a decent LBS and get Jagwire stainless inner wires(Der and brake) and Jagwire 5mm lined housing, der type and brake type..some ferrules and bobs yer uncle- At my shop about $30 total.

oldpotatoe
01-20-2011, 07:43 AM
I just talked to the LBS service manager and he says that all the mechanics at the shop have switched to Gore Ride-On sealed cables. He is waiting until his wear out before he makes the switch. I am going to stick with less expensive cables for my backup bike but will probably try them when I need to replace the housings on my Legend.

That's funny..they must get them for low/no $. Just about any shop service guy can get freebies from sram by just asking.

sg8357
01-20-2011, 08:00 AM
You go to the LBS, walk into the back room, on the right is large
set of gray shelves. Look near the top for the bulk boxes of cable
housing and brake cables. Campy owners get to buy the little baggies
of shifter cable over on the peg board in the mechanics area.

If you don't have wandering privileges at your LBS you've been spending
too much money with Ribble.

The pre-packaged cable kits are what as known as "margin multipliers". :)

oldpotatoe
01-20-2011, 08:07 AM

The pre-packaged cable kits are what as known as "margin multipliers".

:)

Ours are out front and we use Jagwire 'Campagnolo' type inner wires, both brake and der, for all systems. No need to buy both shimano and Campagnolo.

Yep, I kinda wonder why when somebody needs something simple like der and brake cable sets they get it from someplace 2000 miles away instead of
5 miles away.

bicycletricycle
01-20-2011, 08:24 AM
i really like nokon cables, they are expensive but the lining is replaceable and pretty cheap. I have had some of my nokon cables for 5 years now. The zero compression is nice.

When gore cables go, they really go. The lining gets all bunched up and makes a mess and they barely work.

For me it is nokon or cheap bulk housing from the LBS.

Geeeewiz
01-25-2011, 10:10 AM
the Jags are fine.

Geeeewiz
01-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Also, as others have stated. Go to the LBS and tell em you need some cables and housing. You should be out the door pretty cheap. Don't forget the Ferrells (sp?)

Chad Engle
01-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Just re-cabled mine with the bulk jagwire stuff. Smooth as butter for about $25.

I simply don't believe Yokozuna or Gore performance justifies the extra expense.

But to each their own. :beer:

oldguy00
01-25-2011, 11:18 AM

The pre-packaged cable kits are what as known as "margin multipliers". :)

Remember, not all of us are lucky enough to have good LBS's near by.

southernexposur
01-26-2011, 08:18 PM
I have used the Gore cable system and it is a good system,,,for certain users. Cross bikes, MTB racers, all weather commuters it is a good investment. With hard use, I have seen them last 12-18 months of everyday all condition use. Same guys we were replacing cables and housing every 2-3 months, with performance degradation pretty extensive before replacement. With the Gore fully sealed system, properly installed, these guys were seeing 5x the life of cables and housing.
That said, Jagwire stainless cables and L3 housing with alloy ferrules give amazing performance with just a little bit of upkeep. And they are dirt cheap as well.
So what I am saying is yes and no, Gore cables and housing is both a great deal or an expensive waste depending on the application.

Andrew

Kane
01-26-2011, 09:35 PM
who uses "Quality" catalogue generic cable and housing.
Cables and housing are a lot like lube. Newer is better than any brand name. Twice a year on the mtn. bike and whenever needed on the road bike.
Probably about $20.
cheers,
Kane

dekindy
01-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Cables and housing are a lot like lube. Newer is better than any brand name. Twice a year on the mtn. bike and whenever needed on the road bike.
Probably about $20.
cheers,
Kane

No, that is what my LBS recommended when I wanted red housings. They have it in rolls and sell it by the foot. Works well and inexpensive for at least a year, around 4,000 miles. I will probably stick with this unless they talk me into the Gore but it will be difficult to justify that much expense when this looks and works so well.

oldpotatoe
01-27-2011, 07:41 AM
Probably about $20.
cheers,
Kane

No yer not. It's what I sell. Jagwire.

SteveV0983
01-27-2011, 08:26 AM
I used the Jagwire racing set to replace the stock cables that came with my Ultegra group and the difference was not subtle. There was a huge difference in smoothness and quickness.
They are a steal for the price and you get everything you need in one package.

Heckler26
01-27-2011, 08:33 AM
You should keep an eye out for the 7800 cablesets. There are some still out there. Honestly best bang for you buck in my opinion. I use it all the time on my road bike. On my MTB i have the Gore Fulled sealed shift system and that has been super impressive. I've been running it for about 8 months with zero issues.

best of luck.