PDA

View Full Version : Running During the Racing Season?

Dr. Doofus
04-24-2005, 12:08 PM
Your Doof has *never* done this...in the years yudrooof was running, he was not racing, and now that he is racing again, there has been no running.

However, this forumite needs some variety.

Has anyone here actually mixed both with success during the season? Or should your doof just wait until July, when the racing cools down around here, do indulge the running bug?

dsimon
04-24-2005, 01:01 PM
I have done both only because the army says I have to run every day. the only thing is your legs seem to stay sore its just different sides of your legg muscles so if you can take the pain go for it. I have no choice. and besides what about triathletes? :D

RABikes2
04-24-2005, 01:57 PM
My Dear Dr. D.,

As an "ex"-triathlete and "ex"-runner...INDULGE! INDULGE! INDULGE! :D Have fun and enjoy both pleasures! Mix up your workouts, do bricks, alternate days, etc... Cross-training with running and cycling, weight workouts, and stretching can make for one strong athlete.

In my tri-days, after all bike rides, we'd come in from our bike ride, put your running shoes on, and within 15 minutes be right back out running, for no less than a 1 mile run out and then run back. Depending on what race you were training for, ie: sprint, Oympic, half, or full Ironman, we would increase our running distance after particular distance rides. I'm sure there is more "scientific" training nowadays, but this was how we did it and it worked great. I've always believed, for me that is, that the stronger I was on my bike, the more I'd have in my legs on the run. Especially since I had to work exceptionally hard at my running anyway.

I don't run any more; and I sorta kinda miss it (like the workouts described above). Miss the cardio and strength benefits.

SO, go for a bike ride, or a run, or both. Enjoy, be creative, have fun, make some new goals (duathlons), and have a wonderful season! :D

RA :banana:

jerk
04-24-2005, 09:46 PM
why the hell would you want to do that?

yeehawfactor
04-24-2005, 10:32 PM
i get a running bug, but i think it's the opposite of yours doof.

and why are your personal messages never checked?

Louis
04-24-2005, 10:54 PM
I wish I could run, it's so much more efficient in calories burned / minute compared to cycling, but my knees are shot. If you aren't concerned about your knees, then go for it. (I've never been a racer, so who am I to say no...)

If you're just looking for variety here's another option that won't give your body quite the pounding it gets from running:

For cross-training I use an indoor rower (Concept II (http://www.concept2.com/05/default.asp) Model C) It's easy on my knees and a great overall body workout (let's just say that cyclists' upper bodies are not their strong point). It has the added benefit of allowing you to workout inside if the weather is crappy (less of a problem for runners) and it isn't nearly as boring as riding the bike indoors. From a cardio-vascular standpoint I can maintain a much higher heart rate over nearly any period of time on the rower than on the bike.

Good Luck
Louis

cs124
04-25-2005, 05:12 AM
Years ago I attempted to race tri and on the bike in the same season. The swimming was not a problem but the running wrecked me. The result, for me anyway, was legs that were always sore and with no ability to react to the surges in pace that is part & parcel of road/crit racing. I was good at riding at a constant 40km/h for moderate distances though. :rolleyes:

William
04-25-2005, 05:52 AM
I ran as part of many sports I've been involved with. I was racing Crew before I got into road racing and did quite a bit of running then as well. Once I really got into road racing I found that running just didn't feel right. As my glutes, quads, hams, and calves adapted the rigors of riding and racing the bike, trying to run I felt more like a duck waddling along. Obviously running was hitting the muscles differently. My racing was going very well and I decided not to mess with it and try to adapt to running. Lifting weights? No problem. Rowing? No problem. Running? Just felt wrong. I know tri-atheletes do it, but I wasn't competeing in tri's and none of the competitive tri-athletes who rode with us occasionally could stay with us when we put the hammer down. As such, I decided that running wasn't for me, at least not when I'm racing.

For cross-training I use an indoor rower (Concept II Model C) It's easy on my knees and a great overall body workout (let's just say that cyclists' upper bodies are not their strong point). It has the added benefit of allowing you to workout inside if the weather is crappy (less of a problem for runners) and it isn't nearly as boring as riding the bike indoors. From a cardio-vascular standpoint I can maintain a much higher heart rate over nearly any period of time on the rower than on the bike.

On the Concept II Rower. I whole heartedly agree. In my opinion, it's the best piece of exercise equipment in existance. I use mine all the time. I'd go so far to say that it's my secret weapon....Ok, so it's not a secret anymore. :rolleyes: If you're thinking of buying one, buy directly from the factory in VT. If you buy one from a fitness/exercise equipment store you will likely pay about twice what it costs factory direct.

William

Dr. Doofus
04-25-2005, 07:11 AM
screw running. tight hamstring today. hellllllooooo bikes.

Louis
04-25-2005, 12:33 PM
On the Concept II Rower. I whole heartedly agree. In my opinion, it's the best piece of exercise equipment in existance. I use mine all the time.

William,

When the weather stinks I have no problem convincing myself to erg instead of ride, but as the weather improves I tend to scale back the rowing, since cycling is more fun. During the good cycling months how do you balance rowing and cycling? How many times / week on the rower? I'm down to about 1 / week, which really isn't enough to keep those muscles in good shape, but better than nothing...

Louis

William
04-26-2005, 12:45 PM
William,

When the weather stinks I have no problem convincing myself to erg instead of ride, but as the weather improves I tend to scale back the rowing, since cycling is more fun. During the good cycling months how do you balance rowing and cycling? How many times / week on the rower? I'm down to about 1 / week, which really isn't enough to keep those muscles in good shape, but better than nothing...

Louis

During the season I would rather be out riding as well. But I will still try to get on the erg at least 2 - 3 times a week. If I miss a day of riding, I can usually fit a session on the erg at some point during the day unless I'm away from home. Off-season I'll likely hit the erg 4 - 5 times a week.
I personally feel that you can tax your aerobic & anaerobic systems better rowing then you can on the bike. I still do that training on the bike, but adding the erg to the mix puts me farther ahead of the curve then the bike alone. You can do anaerobic threshold work, long steady state training, as well as more intense racing pieces and intervals. The ability to adjust the damper to increase or lighten the load makes for a large variety of training possibilities. Power and endurance are key, and the erg is a great way to get both to supplement riding the bike.

Challenge:
If you think you're in good biking shape, and you have access to a Concept II Rower, jump on and try pulling a 20 minute piece while keeping your 500/meter splits under 2:00 minutes (closer to 1:50). This should put you around 4,000-4,500 meter total. I garuntee you will be sucking wind well before your done. And this isn't even a hard piece. IMHO, this puppy will help you make great strides that you can carry over to aid your cycling.

William

http://www.concept2.com/05/training/training/xtrain.asp
http://www.concept2.com/05/training/training/comptrain.asp

I'm Not Worthy!
04-26-2005, 02:57 PM
It rained here Friday and Saturday so I went running for an hour each day. I'm amazed that I can sit on a bike all day long and feel fine the next day but run for an hour and I'm still sore three days later. Got me to thinking that I should cross train some more...

Ti Designs
04-26-2005, 05:21 PM
I found out years ago that the ice cream truck stops when you yell - now there's no reason to run.