PDA

View Full Version : Serotta repaint help?

tim11
10-14-2010, 11:40 AM
I have a chance to buy an old CSI that's badly in need of a repaint. Is the only way to do it with decals, etc through the factory paint program? Given that I'd be paying only a couple hundred for the frame, I'm not too sure that a $500-plus repaint is the best option, but are local painters still able to get decals? I found a post on this from 2006 but nothing more recent.

Thanks.

maximus
10-14-2010, 12:11 PM
As nice it would be, you don't have to go through Serotta for repaint. Contact their sales department, they have about 6 sets of "adhesive" style decals you apply to the frame post paint or powdercoat for around 50 bucks. The color selections are limited though to mostly black and white.

I took this route with my Atlanta. The decals are high quality and low profile - and easy to place. If you dig you can find a post I did of the process - and the final product in the gallery.

If you want unique color options, you may have to go to a reputable painter. Never done this myself, but I don't think they come off with them that easy - though I could be wrong.

Pegoready
10-14-2010, 12:19 PM
If you want to do this right, go the route of "under clearcoat" decals, not the top-mount adhesive decals Serotta sells.

There's nothing sacred about the Serotta decals. Any experienced bike painter should have the decal art on file or easily be able to create it.

maximus
10-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Agreed - if you can, do under clear coat. The aboves will eventually get snagged on a bike rack and crumple.

They are nice if you are in a pinch though. If you dont plan to clear (doing powdercoat) the decals are a cheap option though.

tim11
10-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Cool -- thanks guys. I was just overthinking it, and will probably let the paintshop folks work it out.

aoe
10-14-2010, 03:34 PM
I just did this in CA and the paint shop actually had decals already in stock. Most print shops can also re-create and laser cut UV-protected decals off of a high-resolution stock image as well. That way you can keep the image file and just get various colors printed when needed.

Jeff N.
10-14-2010, 03:52 PM
I have a chance to buy an old CSI that's badly in need of a repaint. Is the only way to do it with decals, etc through the factory paint program? Given that I'd be paying only a couple hundred for the frame, I'm not too sure that a $500-plus repaint is the best option, but are local painters still able to get decals? I found a post on this from 2006 but nothing more recent.

Thanks.Joe Bell did an absolutely outstanding job on both my Atlanta and CSi. He can/will get all necessary decals. If it's worth doing at all, it's worth doing it right...and nobody does paintjobs like JB. Jeff N.

gone
10-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Joe Bell did an absolutely outstanding job on both my Atlanta and CSi. He can/will get all necessary decals. If it's worth doing at all, it's worth doing it right...and nobody does paintjobs like JB. Jeff N.

That's good to know, one of these days I'm going to have my Serotta Coors Team bike redone and I'd like to do it exactly as is with all of the original sponsors decals. JB was on my list anyway for the quality of work that he does but now there's another reason.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=13595&stc=1

allenwhy
10-21-2010, 11:41 PM
is there information online somewhere about whether serotta will do a custom paint job on a early 2000's legend ti?

blschaefer1
10-22-2010, 10:53 AM
CyclArt in Vista, CA does a fantastic job on these types of mild restorations as well. Pricing is fairly reasonable too.

dave thompson
10-22-2010, 11:08 AM
is there information online somewhere about whether serotta will do a custom paint job on a early 2000's legend ti?
Contact the Serotta Concierge: serotta.concierge@serotta.com and they will answer your questions.

avalonracing
10-22-2010, 11:36 AM
I know it isn't period correct but if the frame is only a couple hundred dollar purchase you could also powdercoat it. Powdercoating is tough as nails and and inexpensive powder coat looks better than an inexpensive multi-coat gloss job.

Hell, you could probably have it coated for under $100 and put the Serotta decals on for another $50 and be on your way.

ti_boi
01-11-2011, 08:45 AM
I just emailed the Concierge about taking a Ti Legend with a factory paint job and stripping it down to the bare Ti look. Applying a few logo stickers and whatever covering (if any) that requires. Should be interesting to hear back. :beer:

Pete Serotta
01-11-2011, 09:19 AM
I just emailed the Concierge about taking a Ti Legend with a factory paint job and stripping it down to the bare Ti look. Applying a few logo stickers and whatever covering (if any) that requires. Should be interesting to hear back. :beer:
If your ti frame is painted,now it can be repainted by Serotta to like new with decals.

If your frame is painted and you want to strip paint and then polish the frame this is usually not done nor recommended. Pete

ti_boi
01-11-2011, 11:31 AM
If your frme is painted, it can be repainted by Serotta to like new with decals. FIf your frame is painted and you want to strip paint and then polish the frame this is usually not done nor recommended. Pete

Yep, that's what she told me. No matter. just curious really. considering something, but a repaint in another color would be just fine. :cool:

PaulE
01-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Joe Bell did an absolutely outstanding job on both my Atlanta and CSi. He can/will get all necessary decals. If it's worth doing at all, it's worth doing it right...and nobody does paintjobs like JB. Jeff N.

I have 2 bikes with Joe Bell paint jobs. They are beautiful and the paint is pretty durable too! But if a $500 plus Serotta factory repaint is too much, then you don't want to talk to Joe Bell about painting this CSI either! Plus, you would probably need to send him the frame now to have any shot of getting it back to ride this summer!

Pete Serotta
01-11-2011, 06:26 PM
I have 2 bikes with Joe Bell paint jobs. They are beautiful and the paint is pretty durable too! But if a $500 plus Serotta factory repaint is too much, then you don't want to talk to Joe Bell about painting this CSI either! Plus, you would probably need to send him the frame now to have any shot of getting it back to ride this summer!

JB (Joel Bell) is among the top cycle painting and restoration artist.

Paul's bikes look as good or better than new. JB paints for frame builders also....Two examples are Richard Sachs and David Kirk.

If Paul's repainted CSI was a 57cm....He would be wondering where it disappeared to :D :D

Ahneida Ride
01-11-2011, 06:29 PM
try Fresh Frames in Pennsylvania

Fixed
01-11-2011, 06:38 PM
if it were mine i 'd leave it alone something about an old bike and it's war medals wounded in action thing . if not
send to serotta and you have a 700.00 new looking csi ?
cheers imho
now if i could get rid of all the scars on my knees elbows and shoulders