PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Rollers - Need Advice

tlarwa
10-14-2010, 11:19 AM
The winters in WI are looong ... and while I ride outdoors as long and often as possible, I end up riding indoors a lot. The staionary trainer is fine, but to mix it up a bit this winter I thought I'd give rollers a try. Problem is, I've never been on them and know very little about them. Any advice and/or recommendations? Any models I should look for or stay away from? PVC or aluminum rollers? Etc., etc.

Thanks!

Tom

djg
10-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Others might chime in on more recent offerings from e-motion, etc., but I've been happy with a basic pair of Kreitler poly-lytes (alloy drums, pvc end-caps). I haven't noticed any appreciable wear on the end caps. 3" drums, which I prefer to the largest drums (decent range of work load possible, without extra stuff). Prices on these have gone up, but they're still not crazy for a product that works well, packs easily for travel to races or wherever, and lasts a long time.

There are all sorts of tips on learning to ride rollers if you cannot do it already. It's not rocket surgery or high-wire ballet -- just takes a bit of getting used to (and can feel impossible the first minute or two). It can be helpful to start in a doorway, such that you can hit either side, or both, for support by flaring out an elbow or two. This allows you to make minor saves while still riding -- there's plenty of feedback and a fairly steep learning curve; the trick is to have a means of support or correction that doesn't just involve bailing.

phlash23
10-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Tom,
Rollers are definitely an experience. They will help your balance and pedal stroke immensely. I had a set of Tacx nylon rollers with a small diameter and they were quite difficult to ride. I upgraded to a set of Minoura Action Advance rollers
http://www.minourausa.com/_src/sc3309/Advance3-wide_combo_blank.jpg
and they are great. Feel with a larger diameter roller is much better and easier to balance on before you get them up to speed. If you're just learning I recommend splurging on the safety stops for the front roller and the step.

Riding them is not as difficult as people would have you believe. Stick them in a doorway or next to a countertop so you have something to hold onto when you're getting started. Pick a fixed point just below eye level (like you were looking down the road) and concentrate on it. If you look down at the rollers, you are almost assured to get squirley and wreck. The bike will skate a little side to side and it's a feeling that you just have to get used to. Whatever you do, resist the urge to steer to correct it! If you do start to get loose, either from a loss of concentration or a severely uneven pedal stroke, briefly coast, downshift a gear and resume a light pedal back up to speed.

BdaGhisallo
10-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Tru Trainer rollers. Go all the way!

fiamme red
10-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Do an advanced forum search:

user name = 11.4
keyword = rollers

11.4 has posted a lot of valuable information on the subject.

tlarwa
10-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Do an advanced forum search:

user name = 11.4
keyword = rollers

11.4 has posted a lot of valuable information on the subject.

Thanks. I did a keyword search on "rollers" and it didn't return any results (which I found odd). I'll try it again.

fiamme red
10-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks. I did a keyword search on "rollers" and it didn't return any results (which I found odd). I'll try it again.Try clicking on "search," then "advanced search."

FlashUNC
10-14-2010, 12:45 PM
I tend to think the learning curve isn't as steep as some would make it out to be. I mean, how bad a bike rider are you that you can't keep it going in a straight line without a couple feet of oscillation?

Its mainly a mental thing more than anything else, and once you get them up to speed I've found they're a better indoor workout than a trainer. Requires more concentration and I find you push yourself more. YMMV.

Use the door trick the first few times, then you should be set. Now no hands on rollers....that's a different story...

tele
10-14-2010, 01:10 PM
I bought some cheap Nashbar rollers a couple of seasons ago to try them. I think with a coupon not more than $120shipped. For me a good way to try them out. Like others have said not as hard as people make it out to be. And they have improved my on the road riding technique.

But I can only stand about 90 minutes and then I am bored out of my mind.

lhuerta
10-14-2010, 01:42 PM
tlarwa, sent you a PM. I have a set of used Minoura Action rollers you can have for cheap....most economical way to try rollers if you have not tried them before.
Thanks
Lou

dekindy
10-14-2010, 02:04 PM
http://www.fixedgearfever.com/modules.php?name=Roller_Tests

Lots of reviews there.

stephenmarklay
10-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Tru rollers are supposed to be very good. I use emotion rollers (insideride.com). The very nice thing about them is that you can move around a lot easier. I can stand, sprint, no hands whatever you would do outside. They are expensive new but worth the $ for me.

phlash23
10-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Use the door trick the first few times, then you should be set. Now no hands on rollers....that's a different story...

Local fixed gear trixter, blindfolded, no hands and one foot!

http://www.66fixedgear.com/news/E20081105170547/Media/bailey1-1.jpg
http://www.66fixedgear.com/news/E20081105170547/Media/bailey2.jpg
http://www.66fixedgear.com/news/E20081105170547/Media/bailey3.jpg

mandasol
10-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Make sure to set up the distance of the rollers to match your wheelbase. I try to set mine up as close as possible to the actual wheelbase of my bike. Get out a tape measure and measure axle to axle for the bike wheels and the roller drums (measure to find the center of the back drums). I've heard some people recommend setting the front axles just behind the axle of the front drum. Try both and see what works better for you.

I'd recommend having something to hold onto nearby, instead of something you would tend to lean on like a wall or door way. If you have a treadmill nearby the side rail is perfect. When you lean your body it causes you to get squirrelly. If you're about to fall next to a wall you'll only bump your head on the wall and your bike will fly out from under you. If you have something to grab it's easier to save yourself from crashing if you ride off the rollers.

Steer with your hips not your hands. Just use your hands to keep your handlebars straight. Of course when you first get on the rollers you may need to steer a little to get to the center of the rollers, but that's pretty much the only time you need to.

Depending on the rollers and the wheels you're using I find there is a threshold speed that the bike is really easy to balance. Below that it takes a bit of concentration, but above that speed it's like you're riding outside and you really don't have to think about staying in the center. For my set up now it's about 13-14 mph. I think most people get stuck trying to learn rollers going too slow so they keep having trouble getting balanced. If you have a rail to hold onto like I recommend, hold on with one hand on the bike and the other on the rail and build up your speed to about 15mph and I'm willing to bet it'll be a breeze to let go and keep rolling. Don't forget to steer only with your hips.

As others have recommended don't look at your front wheel. Find a spot ahead of you and focus on that and you'l be able to sense if you're in the center of your drums or not. I use a sweat net on my bike so I can't even see my front wheel.

Practice riding off the side of the rollers once or twice. It's going to happen sometime so might as well try it under controlled conditions, so when it happens you won't go into shock and crash. If you have a rail nearby to grab it's pretty undramatic to just ride off the rollers and grab the rail before you fall over. I ride off my rollers all the time, and it's a non-event, I just get back on and keep riding. I'm usually watching tv and hardly every look down at the rollers, and it can get really boring so it's easy to get distracted and ride off to the side.

11.4 has criticized Inside Ride roller for their bumpers because it causes you to trip over the bumpers and causes a crash that could be avoided. I tend to agree. I had a set of rollers that I improvised a set of bumpers. I thought it would be nice to just ride without a care about where you are and when you tap the bumpers to just roll back to the center, but twice my weight kept me going over the bumpers after I touched them (because I wasn't paying attention) and I tipped over and crashed. Without the bumpers I would've just rolled off and not crashed. If you are getting started and will keep an eye on the rollers and know when you are about to go to the edge of the rollers and just want the bumpers to keep you from going off, I see how they can be helpful. But they're not helpful if you just want to zone out and ride.

I have set of Kreitlers with the headwind fan and I love the fan. It increases the breeze as you increase your effort which is perfect. If you don't have a headwind fan you need a Fan blowing on you. One with a remote would be best, but use what you got. In the cold winters a cold strong breeze when you you're getting started can be too much, but once you're going strong you'll probably be so hot you want to turn it up as high as it gets. The Kreitler headwind does all this automatically. I've been contemplating Trutrainers but I love the headwind fan too much.

I mentioned I ride with a sweat net - highly recommended. Though you probably already have one with your trainer setup. I have pockets on the front to hold my tv remote and my cell phone.

If you don't get it right away on your first ride, just keep trying for a few minutes everyday till you do. Pretty quickly you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about, and you'l be able to ride without hands and standing. I do keep my eyes on the wheels and rollers when I go no hands or standing though. Even if you are able to do alright on your first ride, still ride it a little everyday for about a month. Getting started on rollers may cause you to ride with a little tension because you're so focused on trying to stay upright and centered. After about a month (or two) of riding everyday you should be able to get rid of that tension and riding rollers will be no big thing.

thwart
10-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Hey, if you have a garage, just set your rollers up there... although it helps to have a decent view or a small TV.

Start out next to a wall (or between your car and the wall), soon you'll no longer need that.

Just like riding outside except for the breeze. After 10-15 minutes I'm usually down to a light long sleeve shirt, and depending on the temp, shorts...

Makes the WI winters much more tolerable.

And when we start road riding in the spring, I'm much more temp acclimatized than the indoor trainer folks.

chuckred
10-14-2010, 06:58 PM
I learned to ride these in about 10 minutes:Performance (http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1028825_-1_1549000_20000_400134) . The beveled edges help guide you back to the center if you space out. I put a small platform next to them to put my feet on to start out, and have a wall on one side to lean into if I need to - more for psychological reasons than anything else at this point.

I've fallen once - with lots of eyes on me after the commotion at an indoor roller/trainer class of course. Embarassing. Especially when the domino effect started when I knocked over the lady next to me, and on down the line.

Makes you appreciate riding outside too!

The winters in WI are looong ... and while I ride outdoors as long and often as possible, I end up riding indoors a lot. The staionary trainer is fine, but to mix it up a bit this winter I thought I'd give rollers a try. Problem is, I've never been on them and know very little about them. Any advice and/or recommendations? Any models I should look for or stay away from? PVC or aluminum rollers? Etc., etc.

Thanks!

Tom

Peter P.
10-14-2010, 07:01 PM
If you're gonna buy rollers, get a set that offers some resistance. Counter to what most people think, the smaller diameter rollers don't provide more resistance due to the smaller contact patch; it's because the roller is like a cog on your cassette, and the chainring is your rear wheel-small cog equals higher gear.

That said, a 3" diameter roller provides a good middle ground resistance for most people. If you want an easy spin, just shift to a lower gear. I wouldn't get the 4.5" drums, and I think the 2.25" drums are overkill.

I've had plastic drums crack on me; I recommend alloy rollers. Kreitler really stands by their equipment, so their plastic end cap models should be fine.

I've used Kreitlers; the all-aluminum model. Quiet and smooth, durable and simple. Again; the 4.5" model doesn't offer enough resistance.

Drawback to Kreitlers: The rear wheel sits slightly lower than the front, so riding in the drops puts a bit of pressure on the private parts. It's almost worth tipping the saddle slightly more down if you'll be riding Kreitlers and similar rollers a lot in the winter. You can't coast, so if you want to stand to relieve a numb crotch, which I find is common with standard rollers, you can do it but it's not the easiest exercise.

I now own a pair of TruTrainer rollers. Truly a Cadillac in the roller world, but expensive. And, at about twice the weight of Kreitlers, they are difficult to lug around if you must, to set them up. I have to carry mine about 100 yards to and from the workout room, and it gets to be a chore.

TruTrainers are smooth and quiet. Their two qualities which put them over Kreitlers are the internal flywheel, which gives them "real world" feel when accelerating to speed (based on a 165lb. rider), provide the resistance equivalent to the 3" diameter drums mentioned above, and allow you to coast as long as 30 seconds or more. The flywheel effect makes riding out of the saddle a true pleasure; almost like riding on the road. You WILL want to get out of the saddle periodically, the TruTrainers make it wicked easy to do.

TruTrainers' other feature of merit is spacing and height of the rollers is such that they orient the bike level so crotch issues and riding in the drops comfortably are less of an issue.

If you're a savvy shopper, you'll often find Kreitler's for sale on eBay for excellent prices.

Get a set of rollers, then we'll give riding tips!

Oh yeah; type "TruTrainer" in the Search box above and it should help you find more threads about rollers.

djg
10-14-2010, 07:08 PM
I tend to think the learning curve isn't as steep as some would make it out to be. I mean, how bad a bike rider are you that you can't keep it going in a straight line without a couple feet of oscillation?

So . . . a steep learning curve means you learn a great deal across small units of time, yes?

I think folks have a hard time at first not because they cannot ride in a straight line but because they're unaccustomed to the setup, and how things feel, and tend to make excessive corrections when things go slightly off.

But, as most everyone here seems to say . . . yep, you get the hang of it and it's fine.

thwart
10-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Gotta say it helped me to watch some YouTube videos of folks on rollers back a a few years ago when I was starting out.

I was self-taught (as it sounds like you will be), and just watching a few falls gave me some confidence I wouldn't break my nose... or other body part. :D

bigflax925
10-14-2010, 09:01 PM
I was self-taught, too. I started before there was YouTube, so I was on my own.

Yes, I had a couple of slips the first time or two, but then I did what thwart suggested: I started in the garage, but instead of next to a wall, I used my upright freezer on my right.

I tried the doorway trick everyone talks about, but found that by the time I reached out to steady, I'd be leaning so far over I'd slide off. That, and the door frame was too narrow to give me any sense of comfort.

They really are not as hard as everyone makes them out to be. It just takes a bit of practice. Like someone said, don't look down.

If I can find some used e-motions cheap enough I'd like to give them a whirl.

10-14-2010, 11:56 PM
If I can find some used e-motions cheap enough I'd like to give them a whirl.

Just saw a like-new pair go for something like $200 in Spokane because they are so bulky and thus so expensive to ship. That's a serious issue with them, and one reason why you never see them at tracks or most races. I have snagged a couple pairs for pennies on the dollar, basically for teammates who wanted a pair, but nobody kept them longer than a year. We've also had about twenty pairs of TruTrainers and to my knowledge, in three years, not a single pair has been sold off. Numbers speak better than words.

I'd still recommend TruTrainers over any other rollers. And TruTrainer has a version without the flywheel that is basically a substitute for a 4.5" drum Kreitler, just much better done. It's also the same price as the alloy Kreitlers and ships for cheap as well because it's so light.

I have practically every roller version ever made, including all three sizes in Kreitlers in both Kompact and Classic versions and as hotdogs, both versions of the TruTrainer, the eMotions, and an assortment of different esoteric models. I loan out the Kreitlers. I ride the TruTrainers myself, and I have a buyer for the eMotions. That's how it goes.

And as for starting on rollers, it's mostly like learning to ride a bike ... just get on the damned things and start to spin the pedals. Everything else takes care of itself. I know the old advice was a doorway, but an inexpensive stainless handicapped railing mounted somewhere at barre height is perfect both for holding on for rollers and for stretching before and after. Once you're comfortable, you won't need much if anything.

If you are anywhere near a track, go and visit. You'll see a lot of experienced people on rollers and it beats watching showoffs doing acrobatics on rollers on YouTube. You can also try different rollers; the choice of roller size and design is strongly personal and second-hand advice is about like second-hand advice on shoes.

Louis
10-15-2010, 12:35 AM
For me they are mind-numbingly boring. About 20 min is all I could stand, before I gave up on them completely and lent them to a friend. That was years ago and I haven't seen them since.

thwart
10-15-2010, 07:18 AM
For me they are mind-numbingly boring. About 20 min is all I could stand, before I gave up on them completely and lent them to a friend. That was years ago and I haven't seen them since.
A great argument for E-motions over other choices. Most of us are not track team members...

If I was considering rollers, I'd buy an inexpensive Performance or Nashbar set, or something similar from CL. If you enjoy riding 'em, sell your 'starter set' and move on up. Tru-Trainers, E-motions, Kreitlers... they all have their fans.

stephenmarklay
10-15-2010, 10:05 PM
A great argument for E-motions over other choices. Most of us are not track team members...

If I was considering rollers, I'd buy an inexpensive Performance or Nashbar set, or something similar from CL. If you enjoy riding 'em, sell your 'starter set' and move on up. Tru-Trainers, E-motions, Kreitlers... they all have their fans.

This is how I started. I bought a Nashbar set on CL. Rode them for a few weeks a learned the basics. Then I ran across some E-motions and bought them. I road them all last winter. I love them.

I am not sure that you can do the kind of time I did on a generic set of rollers. Being able to move around freely and not focusing on the mechanics of being super smooth or sore butt syndrome from the lack of mobility made a big difference.

Sounds like the Tru's are very good also.

I bought the ones in Spokane ($300 for reference) but that is now my back up set. That tells you how much I like them!

aoe
10-17-2010, 01:19 AM
I'm also interested in picking up a setup. Thanks for the info. I'll be trolling CL and here for some. From what I can tell, favorites are e-motion and trutrainers?

dekindy
10-17-2010, 09:40 AM
It depends on what your objectives are and whether these statements are correct.

http://sportcrafters.com/welcometop.htm
Read the "Pro Rollers" and "Rollers FAQ's" tabs completely, including links, and you will have a thorough understanding of the various roller features and benefits. The section on inertia will be particularly enlightening. You should then be able to easily select between the various brands. If you want to work on form and technique and purchase the rollers locally, Sportcrafters is the exclusive manufacturere of CycleOps rollers. Sportcrafters only sells direct and through very limited distribution so that they can receive feedback directly from customers. I will probably purchase a set when I receive Christmas money.

The Sporfcrafter rollers receive the highest rating by users of any reviewed rollers on RoadBikeReview.com

10-17-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm also interested in picking up a setup. Thanks for the info. I'll be trolling CL and here for some. From what I can tell, favorites are e-motion and trutrainers?

Those are certainly the nicest two rollers out there. Not ones to leave out in the rain in a parking lot when you head off to the starting line, but you'll definitely appreciate either one. Though I have a strong preference between them, I'm not down on the eMotions. If they get you onto rollers, it's a good thing. It's just that once you become somewhat experienced on rollers, the eMotion features aren't as important. And ideally you are learning skills that supersede the eMotion features anyway. I haven't come off my TruTrainers and Kreitlers in three years, despite riding them perhaps an hour each race night (2 times a week) and three dedicated roller training sessions per week. The last time I did, it was only because someone hit my front wheel as they were passing in front of me on a track infield, and all I did was find myself upright on the concrete. You don't go racing off the rollers if you run off them; you just stop. If you're going a decent speed, the centripetal action of your wheels will keep you upright just as they do when you're riding -- ever tried to tip your bike over while riding across a lawn on your cross bike (it's pretty hard to do)? The eMotions are certainly well made and if they were foldable, they would be a lot more versatile (and would sell used for much better prices). But my favorites are the TT's. They are simply a joy to use, and I do believe in a 4.5 inch drum diameter without resistance as an option for developing cadence and aerobic abilities.

stephenmarklay
10-17-2010, 03:04 PM
I read the web page comments and to me it is more marketing than truth. I am not saying that they are not high quality rollers however.

There is something for everyone. I guess.

A lot of companies and people say that rollers are used to increase your efficiency via learning to have a smooth pedal stroke. I think that this came out of restrictions of the technology and then someone said yeah you have to be really smooth and that will make you better!

I like the emotion rollers since they allow me to do what I do outside and they allow me to do it for longer periods of time. I think the longer rides will help efficiency more than locking your head in a vice and "spinning"

My two cents anyway. I am sure there are some other very good choices but I am very happy with the emotions.

It depends on what your objectives are and whether these statements are correct.

http://sportcrafters.com/welcometop.htm
Read the "Pro Rollers" and "Rollers FAQ's" tabs completely, including links, and you will have a thorough understanding of the various roller features and benefits. The section on inertia will be particularly enlightening. You should then be able to easily select between the various brands. If you want to work on form and technique and purchase the rollers locally, Sportcrafters is the exclusive manufacturere of CycleOps rollers. Sportcrafters only sells direct and through very limited distribution so that they can receive feedback directly from customers. I will probably purchase a set when I receive Christmas money.

The Sporfcrafter rollers receive the highest rating by users of any reviewed rollers on RoadBikeReview.com

oldguy00
10-17-2010, 03:32 PM
A lot of people I know have tried them and none still own them. When riding indoors, they like to not have to think, use tv controls, eat, etc.
My .02......

tlarwa
10-17-2010, 03:40 PM
A lot of people I know have tried them and none still own them. When riding indoors, they like to not have to think, use tv controls, eat, etc.
My .02......

Thats what I'm afraid of, but I also get bored riding on the trainer all the time. Even with 6 or 7 Spinervals tapes, looking at the same spot every day gets boring. Im just thinking that rollers would break up the monotony.

I still need to give this some thought. I appreciate all the input and advice though. Luckily it's still outdoor riding season for a month or so ( and hopefully longer!).

Tom

stephenmarklay
10-17-2010, 03:53 PM
The best way to break it up is to do a "routine" of sorts. For instance. Yesterday I did a short speed training workout.

Warmed up 20 minutes then do sets of high cadence (goal of 110 or higher) structure like 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 minutes with equal rests then a bit of a cool down. Having a goal for the workout helps a ton.

thwart
10-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Well, all the folks I know use theirs... :D And have for years...

Like anything, you never know until you try.

Don't get in too deep right away, so if you find that rollers are not the right thing for you/your lifestyle, you can CL them and get back a large portion of your investment.

For me, trainers are incredibly boring. Rollers are more of a challenge (c'mon, you're almost there... no hands... :D ), and actually make me a safer rider, and much more comfortable in a group ride.

All that as well as the obvious training benefits.

10-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Thats what I'm afraid of, but I also get bored riding on the trainer all the time. Even with 6 or 7 Spinervals tapes, looking at the same spot every day gets boring. Im just thinking that rollers would break up the monotony.

I still need to give this some thought. I appreciate all the input and advice though. Luckily it's still outdoor riding season for a month or so ( and hopefully longer!).

Tom

I also know plenty of people who use rollers regularly. There are plenty of people who buy them and never touch them, or touch a trainer, or really train at all in the winter. Ideally to develop you don't just want to get on a trainer and check out mentally, but actually use a trainer or rollers for very focused training efforts ... which means, in the idiom, to go far into the pain cave. Chris Hoy talks about how he trains at 100% every day because that's how one has to race. It's like those SAS mottos about training hard so going to war is easy ... you can hurt on the trainer or rollers or hurt on the training ride or in the race. Your pick.

Don't worry on either device about going two hours or anything like on a road ride. Can you do maximal-cadence intervals on the rollers? A 90 second 200 rpm spin in an 81 inch gear on 4.5 inch rollers without resistance will still feel like an eternity, and six of them, plus 1x5min 120 rpm, 1x5min 140 rpm, 1x2.5min 165 rpm to get going, with 3 minute recovery between each interval, plus a 110 rpm 10min warmup and a similar warmdown, and you're done in well under an hour). Dead, but done. Twice a week is plenty, and results will come fast. You don't want to be following the newest episode of Mad Men while you're doing it or you won't be working hard enough. Just some loud music on the ipod and no cats nearby to end up in the spokes.

On the trainer, don't try for the cadence workouts as much but go for more power. Enduros can go for 20min intervals but you can get most of the benefit with 5min efforts (and may only be able to do those at first.

Basic rule on either device: Ride hard and if you are falling away, it's time to stop and recover. You don't train if you're working at 70% because you're exhausted, and if you start to fade you aren't training your body to work at its limit, which is where you have the need for training. Keep that in mind and keep your workouts shorter. But harder.

If you aren't dedicated enough to get on your rollers, the sad fact is that you probably aren't dedicated enough to your improvement. Tough love, but think about it. Anything else is basically fantasy.

(There was a thread a few years ago with Richard Sachs participating where we discussed racing. Basically, what's really fun about racing is WINNING. Riding in ten minutes later doesn't keep the thrill for long. So if you don't ride to win, and thus train to win, you aren't really out to improve. I understand that one might just spend time on the trainer or rollers to keep weight off or maintain a basic performance level, but if you're willing to go out and break your legs on a training ride during the season, why not do it in the winter? It's all about motivation, and that's not about virtual races on a TV screen, or DVDs, or anything else. It's about dedication. Please pardon the harsh view, but it's the mindset you really want if you want to be good.)

PETER REID
10-17-2010, 06:23 PM
I ride BIG YANKEE rollers thru the winter. These rollers are made of wood and are coned. They are smaller in the middle and larger on the outside edges. When you ride them and ride up to the outside, it simulates going up hill.

stephenmarklay
10-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Interesting take on it. I don't have enough training experience to really comment on your advice but this is not what I did last winter. I was being trained so it was not completely random.

Your advice falls more along the lines of the "time crunched cyclist" get in and get out... I think that this can be really effective with some short comings that most will never miss.

I did more of the longer base training in the winter with some strength and speed skills. I really did not get into any interval (threshold) training until spring.

Regardless, the rollers are good for it all. Mine had a resistance unit that I find useful as well.

I also know plenty of people who use rollers regularly. There are plenty of people who buy them and never touch them, or touch a trainer, or really train at all in the winter. Ideally to develop you don't just want to get on a trainer and check out mentally, but actually use a trainer or rollers for very focused training efforts ... which means, in the idiom, to go far into the pain cave. Chris Hoy talks about how he trains at 100% every day because that's how one has to race. It's like those SAS mottos about training hard so going to war is easy ... you can hurt on the trainer or rollers or hurt on the training ride or in the race. Your pick.

Don't worry on either device about going two hours or anything like on a road ride. Can you do maximal-cadence intervals on the rollers? A 90 second 200 rpm spin in an 81 inch gear on 4.5 inch rollers without resistance will still feel like an eternity, and six of them, plus 1x5min 120 rpm, 1x5min 140 rpm, 1x2.5min 165 rpm to get going, with 3 minute recovery between each interval, plus a 110 rpm 10min warmup and a similar warmdown, and you're done in well under an hour). Dead, but done. Twice a week is plenty, and results will come fast. You don't want to be following the newest episode of Mad Men while you're doing it or you won't be working hard enough. Just some loud music on the ipod and no cats nearby to end up in the spokes.

On the trainer, don't try for the cadence workouts as much but go for more power. Enduros can go for 20min intervals but you can get most of the benefit with 5min efforts (and may only be able to do those at first.

Basic rule on either device: Ride hard and if you are falling away, it's time to stop and recover. You don't train if you're working at 70% because you're exhausted, and if you start to fade you aren't training your body to work at its limit, which is where you have the need for training. Keep that in mind and keep your workouts shorter. But harder.

If you aren't dedicated enough to get on your rollers, the sad fact is that you probably aren't dedicated enough to your improvement. Tough love, but think about it. Anything else is basically fantasy.

(There was a thread a few years ago with Richard Sachs participating where we discussed racing. Basically, what's really fun about racing is WINNING. Riding in ten minutes later doesn't keep the thrill for long. So if you don't ride to win, and thus train to win, you aren't really out to improve. I understand that one might just spend time on the trainer or rollers to keep weight off or maintain a basic performance level, but if you're willing to go out and break your legs on a training ride during the season, why not do it in the winter? It's all about motivation, and that's not about virtual races on a TV screen, or DVDs, or anything else. It's about dedication. Please pardon the harsh view, but it's the mindset you really want if you want to be good.)

10-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Interesting take on it. I don't have enough training experience to really comment on your advice but this is not what I did last winter. I was being trained so it was not completely random.

Your advice falls more along the lines of the "time crunched cyclist" get in and get out... I think that this can be really effective with some short comings that most will never miss.

I did more of the longer base training in the winter with some strength and speed skills. I really did not get into any interval (threshold) training until spring.

Regardless, the rollers are good for it all. Mine had a resistance unit that I find useful as well.

I'm not against a resistance unit. I was just pointing out that even without one, you can put in a quick murderous workout and be off the rollers in a respectable amount of time.

And I'm not just suggesting this for time-crunched riders who need to do a short workout. Rather, there's no need to do a long workout on rollers (or on a trainer). A long tepid workout inside in the winter doesn't really improve your physical conditioning. It might help reduce any deterioration from the winter months, but you could actually be improving yourself in less time than it takes to do a long maintenance ride. That's all.

bssjackson
10-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Rollers were a great change from the stationary trainer. Then you get good at rollers and it becomes pretty close to a rear wheel stationary trainer. That being said I would choose rollers over a stationary anyday.

gone
10-18-2010, 02:59 PM
I don't race so a lot of what 11.4 said doesn't apply to me. Having said that, I try and stay in some kind of shape over the winter so I don't gain weight and so ramping up in the spring isn't quite so hard. To do that, I prefer riding rollers over a trainer and feel it's more beneficial in terms of maintaining a smooth pedal stroke.

Some days though I just want to get a little exercise, put a DVD on and zone out while I watch it. For that, I use a trainer.

Some days, I use both. I'll do some time on the trainer while I warm up then move over to the rollers for some tempo work and then either cool down on the trainer or rollers depending on my mood.

I find that mixing it up a bit helps to beat the blahs. I mean lets face it, riding indoors isn't anywhere near as fun as outdoors. All you can do for the most part is focus on how miserable you feel. At least outdoors you can enjoy the scenery while feeling miserable :D