PDA

View Full Version : OT: Oakley in the Miners Rescue

tuxbailey
10-14-2010, 08:02 AM
I gotta say, Oakley made a really smart marketing move in having all the rescue miners wear their M Frames coming out of the mine and into daylight.

This rescue effort was awesome.

dogdriver
10-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Freakin' studs, victims and rescuers both. I was just hoping that there was a means for the last guy to close the door on the pod from the inside...

As for the Oakleys, product placement is key...

jeo99
10-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Not sure they are just "M" frames. ABC news stated they were "$450 donated Oakley glasses". I do not believe that M-frames with any lense option go for $450.

:beer:

SEABREEZE
10-14-2010, 08:30 AM
Freakin' studs, victims and rescuers both. I was just hoping that there was a means for the last guy to close the door on the pod from the inside...

As for the Oakleys, product placement is key...

+1000

Yes I was thinking the same, on how last rescue worker was going to close and lock the door of the capsule from the inside.

Clostophobic fellings had to set in and from the reports the capsule did 5 <> 360's on the way up, had to really disorient them.. I do understand they were all given an anti anxiety pill before surfacing..

Praise to the powers that be.. AMEN.....

RABikes2
10-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Clostophobic fellings had to set in and from the reports the capsule did 5 <> 360's on the way up, had to really disorient them.. I do understand they were all given an anti anxiety pill before surfacing..

Praise to the powers that be.. AMEN.....
Docs were concerned that if a miner fainted in the capsule while being lifted out, they couldn't fall down and blood would not get back to the brain, which could be fatal. It was on reports last night they were put on high salt diets for days before the rescue (to elevate their blood pressure) and all were put in compression clothing to be lifted out as a precaution.

Totally amazing. What a great outcome for the miners, families, and the rescue teams.

RA

Nil Else
10-14-2010, 08:50 AM
"$450 donated Oakley glasses"

I was guessin the president of Chile arranged Oakleys and other generous what nots but apparently I was wrong... marketing, not political.

avalonracing
10-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Smart marketing... Now ALL rescued miners will want them.

Nil Else
10-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Smart marketing... Now ALL rescued miners will want them.

Perhaps loftier aim... all miners, rest of Chileans and the world...

RPS
10-14-2010, 10:26 AM

+1 -- particularly for the first rescuer who went down. Unlike victims he volunteered, and took the first ride into that dark abyss not knowing what would happen. Not to take anything from the miners but that guy deserves special recognition.

veloduffer
10-14-2010, 10:34 AM
I gotta say, Oakley made a really smart marketing move in having all the rescue miners wear their M Frames coming out of the mine and into daylight.

Coca-cola did a similar thing when the Berlin Wall fell. The head of distributing got all the inventory he could muster and had Coke six-packs handed to the East Germans as they crossed. It was symbolic since East Germany couldn't get Coke (or Pepsi) and had their own national version, which was something akin to their domestically made cars.

That's a lot of free television advertising that Oakley got - globally.

Hawker
10-14-2010, 02:22 PM
+1 -- particularly for the first rescuer who went down. Unlike victims he volunteered, and took the first ride into that dark abyss not knowing what would happen. Not to take anything from the miners but that guy deserves special recognition.

Amen. I was thinking the same thing.

And yes....incredible product placement. Not to be too cynical...but given the gravity of the situation, might this be seen as offensive in some way?

Climb01742
10-14-2010, 02:27 PM
every time i read about that rescue capsule and how small it was, i got a severe case of the willies. the ride up must have been the longest, and yet the shortest, ride of their lives. nice when something goes so right, after having, at first, gone so wrong.

Chris
10-14-2010, 07:41 PM
I heard there was still one down there left to save. Juan. Big Juan.

rwsaunders
10-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Not too much mention in the world news regarding the US technology that went into the rescue. NASA, specialty rigs, drilling operators, etc.

Louis
10-14-2010, 10:11 PM
Not too much mention in the world news regarding the US technology that went into the rescue. NASA, specialty rigs, drilling operators, etc.

BBC radio and web mentioned NASA quite often and I know I saw Schramm (sp?) T-130 (drill rig) on the BBC web site a few times. Also came across Center-Rock (maker of the drill bit itself) several times, but I'm no sure where.

BengeBoy
10-14-2010, 11:18 PM
I heard there was still one down there left to save. Juan. Big Juan.

Big bad Juan....

vqdriver
10-15-2010, 12:22 AM
A Chilean reporter apparently suggested the sunglasses and Oakley complied.

Accordng to some advertising company they got $41 mil worth of tv advertising exposure worldwide with the most tv time value in china.

http://m.cnbc.com/id/39650306?par=thestreet

veloduffer
10-15-2010, 07:08 AM
while Oakley is definitely an expert in marketing, as well as making a pretty good product (I still use my 11 yr old M-frames), I remember that they were the company that got Lance on their medical coverage after Confidis dropped Lance (and his medical insurance) from the team when he got cancer. That's a 'solid' move in my book atmo.

Plus Oakley (and Nike) kept paying his endorsement contract.

DreaminJohn
10-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Kudos to Oakley. Truly.

Unfortunately the cynic in me is wondering when we're going to see the first fake "Chilean miner M-Frame" on ebay. :rolleyes:

veloduffer
10-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Kudos to Oakley. Truly.

Unfortunately the cynic in me is wondering when we're going to see the first fake "Chilean miner M-Frame" on ebay. :rolleyes:

I heard that this sparked a new reality show called Coal. From the same folks that make "Deadliest Catch". So, you're not being cynical.

MarcusPless
10-15-2010, 10:10 AM
I just don't see any problem with Oakley donating some sunglasses. Sure, it was a solid marketing move, but SOMEBODY was going to get that product placement; why not Oakley?

JMerring
10-15-2010, 10:32 AM
not sure why we're kudos'ing oakley. it was a good business decision by them, pure and simple. they saw an opportunity for free worldwide advertising, and jumped on it. savvy business people? sure. 'good' people? eh. same deal for picking up la's health insurance. you really think they gave a rat's ass about his well-being? it was about $$. no more, no less.

Dekonick
10-15-2010, 10:52 AM
not sure why we're kudos'ing oakley. it was a good business decision by them, pure and simple. they saw an opportunity for free worldwide advertising, and jumped on it. savvy business people? sure. 'good' people? eh. same deal for picking up la's health insurance. you really think they gave a rat's ass about his well-being? it was about $$. no more, no less.

Ummmm... I will give Oakley the benefit of the doubt regarding LA's insurance. Remember - his career was OVER and he was diagnosed with metastatic testicular cancer with mets to brain and lung. That is a fatal diagnosis. Definitely fatal if you can't afford treatments. Think Oakley was going to cash in on a dead cyclist? I don't.

JMerring
10-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Ummmm... I will give Oakley the benefit of the doubt regarding LA's insurance. Remember - his career was OVER and he was diagnosed with metastatic testicular cancer with mets to brain and lung. That is a fatal diagnosis. Definitely fatal if you can't afford treatments. Think Oakley was going to cash in on a dead cyclist? I don't.

or they figured small investment for potentially huge return; nice pr at a minimum; there was no downside for them, only upside. sorry, but when it comes to business and $$, i'm a cynic.

vqdriver
10-15-2010, 11:18 AM
i'm inclined to give em a pass as well.
making money and doing good things are not mutually exclusive.
sometimes karma just comes around and rewards you.

Dekonick
10-15-2010, 12:28 PM
What is absolutely amazing is that they were able to get them out in such a short period of time. It was nice to see a global rescue effort that worked.

Score one for the good guys!

JMerring
10-15-2010, 12:35 PM
What is absolutely amazing is that they were able to get them out in such a short period of time. It was nice to see a global rescue effort that worked.

Score one for the good guys!

and that it went off without the slightest hiccup. the chileans did a truly phenomenal job. they were very dirty in their match against brazil, but this more than made up for that!!!

drewski
10-15-2010, 12:43 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/chile/8065752/Freed-Chilean-miner-Yonni-Barrios-tells-mistress-Im-going-to-take-you-to-bed.html

Turns out getting stuck in a mine has its downside if you are a philanderer.

fourflys
10-15-2010, 12:48 PM

As far as Oakley and Lance... Lance wasn't "Lance" when Oakley did this... sure, he had been a word champ, but since he had a really bad form of cancer I'd say most figured his time as a pro was over... Oakley manned up an did the right thing IMHO... again, Lance wasn't "Lance" at that point...

2LeftCleats
10-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Missed a couple of potential tie-ins.

Zipp-made CF capsule--sleek, black, and light.

Lance pedaling the winch that raised the capsule

JMerring
10-15-2010, 02:24 PM
As far as Oakley and Lance... Lance wasn't "Lance" when Oakley did this... sure, he had been a word champ, but since he had a really bad form of cancer I'd say most figured his time as a pro was over... Oakley manned up an did the right thing IMHO... again, Lance wasn't "Lance" at that point...

you are correct vis-a-vis lance not being Lance. but i don't believe businesses do the right thing. they do the profitable thing - or the hopefully profitable thing. sometimes the profit motive and the moral imperative intersect but i, personally, have no illusions about which is motivating which. there are outliers but my experience is that businesses (not mom and pop type operations, mind you) that are driven by the desire to do good are generally relegated to the dust heap of good intentions. veloduffer mentioned that nike continued to pay lance's endorsement contract - i guess they could afford to given the money they were saving by using child labor. ;)

veloduffer
10-15-2010, 03:32 PM

Actually Oakley didn't make mention or did any press releases (nor Nike) about what they did for Lance. Lance revealed that in his book "It's Not About the Bike". So they didn't do it for the publicity.