PDA

View Full Version : rain jacket?

Climb01742
04-24-2005, 06:07 AM
yesterday it was belgium in boston. looks like today too. rode in a craft rain slicker yesterday. pretty good but after two hours, i was dripping. anyone found a really good rain jacket? grazie. danke. merci beaucoup. (what's "thank you" in flemish? is there a walloon dialect?)

ShockTreatment
04-24-2005, 06:16 AM
I've had good success with my Performance Gore Tex rain jacket in pouring rain. It has zippers on the sides for venting in addition to the Gore Tex. But it's not good for hard efforts, as my sweat quickly overpowers the pores in the Gore Tex.

Has anyone ever used the Assos Micro-Clima jacket? I was thinking of trying one of those.

Climb01742
04-24-2005, 06:30 AM
the ramones rock. 'nuf said.

dbrk
04-24-2005, 06:41 AM
I love riding in the rain if I have the right bike, the right jacket and it's not too, too cold. Yesterday was an excellent example. I was out about two hours and only my shoes were wet, which was fine.

I've been through rain jackets and the Burley Rain Rider is my favorite. It comes with lots of endorsement from Northwesters who know almost as much about rain as we in the Finger Lakes know about snow.

dbrk

cs124
04-24-2005, 06:50 AM
I just accept that I'm going to get wet and throw on my Pearl Izumi wind vest (gillet?) to keep my chest warm.

Ray
04-24-2005, 07:07 AM
I've been through rain jackets and the Burley Rain Rider is my favorite. It comes with lots of endorsement from Northwesters who know almost as much about rain as we in the Finger Lakes know about snow.

Second on the Burley - I have an older version than the Rain Rider, but their combination of fabric and various venting options is as good as I've found. It's a heavy enough jacket that I don't use it for warm rainy days in the summer. On those warm days I just take one of those clear plastic numbers and cut the sleeves off, at which point its easy to stuff in a jersey pocket. But for cool spring rains like we're having now (and colder wet weather as well), Burley is pretty much unbeatable.

They last forever also - I think I've had mine for five years or more and use it quite a bit.

-Ray

cycleman_21
04-24-2005, 07:24 AM
I was out about two hours and only my shoes were wet, which was fine.dbrk

Thanks for the jacket info, I will be looking into that after yesterday,but speaking of shoes is there any way to keep feet dry or at least drier longer?
Wet cold feet bothers me probably the most, can make me wish I had stayed home :crap:
Thanks

RC

coylifut
04-24-2005, 08:55 AM
yes. us northwesterers know a thing or two about the rain. most of us have at least 3 jackets to cover the most prevailing conditions. there's the "going to rain all day and under 50 degrees jacket" which is well covered by Burley Rain Rider. Then, there's the "hmm is it, or is it not going to rain" which is coverd by the PVC jacket with cutt off sleeves. Then, there's the light weight spring rain jacket. In any case, it seems as if you get wet inside out, or outside in. Being warm is the key.

As far as feet goes, I've yet to find a pair of booties that'll keep you dry in 3 plus hours of rain riding. Therefore, we all have about 3 sets of those in different weights as well. If anyone knows of a completely water proof set up, I'm all ears.

93legendti
04-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the jacket info, I will be looking into that after yesterday,but speaking of shoes is there any way to keep feet dry or at least drier longer?
Wet cold feet bothers me probably the most, can make me wish I had stayed home :crap:
Thanks

RC
Do you use wool socks? I would think they would keep you warm, even if they get wet. What about neoprene booties? Neoprene is supposed to be waterproof I think...even if it can be heavy.

wasfast
04-25-2005, 03:25 PM
Do you use wool socks? I would think they would keep you warm, even if they get wet. What about neoprene booties? Neoprene is supposed to be waterproof I think...even if it can be heavy.

I agree with my fellow Oregonian just above that there is nothing I've found to keep your feet dry. Neoprene is anything but waterproof in my experience. I tried a pair of Pearl Izumi wind covers this winter that work better than any other shoe cover thus far. They are a coated elastic cover. The one downside is that they run very small on size. I wear size 43 shoes and the XLarge covers are still too small.

Wool socks do help but once you feet get wet, you will be cold to some extent.

One thing I've wanted to try are Sealskinz. They're a multi layer sock made for outdoor activities like kayaking. You can see them at REI etc. I'm interested enough to cough up the $30 for a pair.

coylifut
04-25-2005, 03:35 PM
I agree with my fellow Oregonian just above that there is nothing I've found to keep your feet dry. Neoprene is anything but waterproof in my experience. I tried a pair of Pearl Izumi wind covers this winter that work better than any other shoe cover thus far. They are a coated elastic cover. The one downside is that they run very small on size. I wear size 43 shoes and the XLarge covers are still too small.

Wool socks do help but once you feet get wet, you will be cold to some extent.

One thing I've wanted to try are Sealskinz. They're a multi layer sock made for outdoor activities like kayaking. You can see them at REI etc. I'm interested enough to cough up the $30 for a pair.

nope, not even those will keep your feet dry when it's really wet. The best bet at keeping your feet dry is a really low front fender with a good flap.

vaxn8r
04-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Some thoughts

On rain jacket: Burley is unbeatable under 40 deg. Over 40 it's OK if your efforts aren't too maxed. I like the Assos Micro Climate for everything upper 30's and up. I just layer more or less under it. You are going to get wet no matter what but the Assos allows a layering and it goes so easy in a pocket. I have a Campy lightweight shell which is pretty lousy. Almost as bad as plastic, which was a big disappointment. I hate the plastic thing. Yes I have a Giordana but with the Assos why would I ever wear it?

Feet: Nothing works for more than a few hours but you have to start with good fenders or it's a losing battle. My latest thing is freezer bags over the shoes, cut out a tiny opening just big enough for the cleat. Then tape it flat on the shoe and around the ankles with any kind of tape. Then a "waterproof" bootie over it. It's good for about 2-3 hours. After that you're soaked anyway and it's either time to go home or warm enough that it doesn't matter.

cycleman_21
04-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the dry foot advice, I like the baggie bootie idea, remembering when we used to use bread bags in our boots as kids.Someone should start a remember when thread :rolleyes: It could go on and on, :bike: :beer:.

RC

itsalldark
04-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Assos Clima jet jacket can not be beat by anything out there! It is spendy, but you get what you pay for. Hours in the rain and you stay dry and you don't overheat because it breaths so well. Packs down small

Matt Barkley
04-25-2005, 08:08 PM
EtxeOndo Pa****e Goretex or ASSOS Climamicro (or newer version) climajet- whatever jacket. The Etxe is ultra durable and WARM and compactable, the ASSOS is warm and ultra compactable. Both are expensive. - Matt