PDA

View Full Version : Clean Bottle Story covered at 37 Signals

xjoex
10-12-2010, 11:53 AM
I don't know if you guys are fans of the book REWORK by the people that run 37 Signals, but man is it great.

Anyhow they just did a little feature on Clean Bottle, who is just a dude who has a full time job at Cisco Networks and wanted to make a better bottle.

Cool story here: http://37signals.com/svn/posts/2602-creator-of-clean-bottle-scratches-his-own-itch-and-gets-creative-with-pr

The story is this:
37signals Team – I just listened to your audio book – twice! It was affirming to me because a lot of your recommendations are things I am already doing or have done…

I am a product line manager at Cisco out in Silicon Valley. I’m also an avid cyclist and I’ve always had problems cleaning out my water bottles. If I’d leave them with a bit of energy drink for a day or two, when I’d come back they’d look like a petri dish and I’d have to chuck them. So, three years ago I started working on a sports bottle that unscrews at both ends so I could actually clean and dry the dang thing. So – it was great to hear your advice about ‘scratching your own itch’.

I kept my day job at Cisco the whole way through, so it was definitely cool to hear that that footed with your advice as well. I didn’t take any outside money – another piece of your advice – since I wanted total control of the company. Cisco was my VC since they were paying my salary

It took me three years, but in May I finally launched my company, Clean Bottle.

I didn’t have the budget for a big PR launch. So, I had to get creative – just like you guys suggested. One of the things I did was that I made a costume that looked like a giant Clean Bottle and went to France. I ran up the tops of the climbs alongside the riders at the Tour de France and got some SERIOUS air time and props. So much so that in the 3 weeks during the tour we sold close to $200K in product, most of it from our website, which is extremely high margin. Check out some of the footage here.

I really like your advice about using your byproduct. I am active on Facebook and Twitter and in my blogging. And we are making 5 Clean Bottle costumes and then giving them out to people who want to dress up as the costume…It definitely makes us the “anti-camelbak / specialized / nalgene” (another piece of your advice) since we are highlighting that we are the little guy and that we like to have fun instead of being serious all the time…

Anyways, thanks again for the book and the tips. We are doing well – in about 500 stores including all the REIs – and hope to keep growing, but only if we can do it without raising money and in a sustainable fashion.

-Joe

CaptStash
10-12-2010, 12:21 PM
I am inspired.

'nuff said.

CaptStash....

rice rocket
10-12-2010, 12:22 PM
which is extremely high margin
lol. Not sure you should be telling people that.

AngryScientist
10-12-2010, 12:45 PM
always good to see the little people making it.

fourflys
10-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Very cool! It's kinda funny, I heard a lot people talking smack about cleanbottle during the tour because Phil and Paul talked so much about the guy running up the slopes... I guess that was just free advertising, sweet! I may have to try one now, but I still like my camelback top....

BengeBoy
10-12-2010, 02:31 PM
I love the Clean Bottle story.

I signed up for his Facebook page it's pretty amusing -- he does a good job having fun with the "Bottle Boy" character, and giving updates on his business.

AngryScientist
10-12-2010, 02:37 PM
i may actually pick up a pair having read that story.

here's a question though: does anyone really have a problem with moldy bottom water bottles??

crownjewelwl
10-12-2010, 02:44 PM
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/accessories/water-bottle/product/water-bottle-10-39747

don't think i've ever seen mr. huang go out of his way to pan a product

sg8357
10-12-2010, 02:45 PM
here's a question though: does anyone really have a problem with moldy bottom water bottles??

Not in the bottom, but in the valve on a Camelback podium bottle.
Soaking in bleach got rid of it.

Louis
10-12-2010, 02:47 PM
I’m also an avid cyclist and I’ve always had problems cleaning out my water bottles. If I’d leave them with a bit of energy drink for a day or two, when I’d come back they’d look like a petri dish and I’d have to chuck them.

Solving a problem that doesn't exist.

What's so durned hard about rinsing out the bottle when you're done with the ride? And, if for some reason you don't know, it's called a bottle brush, and most folks can eventually figure out how to use one:

(PS if I sound like a curmudgeon today, it's because the weather outside is awesome, but I feel like cr@p and I'm home sick with some sort of fever.)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31hPwDMVUXL._AA280_.jpg

avalonracing
10-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Very cool! It's kinda funny, I heard a lot people talking smack about cleanbottle during the tour because Phil and Paul talked so much about the guy running up the slopes... I guess that was just free advertising, sweet! I may have to try one now, but I still like my camelback top....

I really doubt that all the taking that Phil and Paul were doing about bottle was "Free". They were sure to mention it a couple of times per stage.