PDA

View Full Version : Danielson - Changing of the Guard?

victork
04-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Great effort on Tom's behalf today in winning the Brasstown Bald Mountain stage. I am excited to see how he does in the Giro. Lance is strugging and doesn't seem to be as motivated as in the past. Oh-well. Maybe Tom can take over and do some great things.

BumbleBeeDave
04-23-2005, 06:38 PM
. . . is destined for great things, methinks. But don’t count Lance out. He admists he has lagged a bit on the training, but it’s still over two months till the Tour and he can do a great deal in that time.

BBDave

coylifut
04-23-2005, 06:41 PM
I guess I'm one of those that don't think Lance's fitness in April tells us much of anything. A win for Danielson just weeks before the start of the Giro is far more significant. I think if Lance would have gotten word that Leipheimer dropped Danielson, he would have brought the whole thing back.

mtflycaster
04-23-2005, 07:02 PM
One thing is for sure, TD can climb!!

Climb01742
04-23-2005, 07:37 PM
i'm a lance fan, so this opinion is biased...if lance can basically hang with everyone, or being within spitting distance now, and he ain't in great shape...he's got work to do...but who works harder?

mtflycaster
04-23-2005, 07:55 PM
And here is another thing...

If you read the brief report in cyclingnews.com, it sounds to me like the plan from the start was for Discovery to try to get the win for Danielson. Lance worked to support by first attacking and making Landis focus on him. Then Tom and Levi attack and Lance "sits" on Landis so TD could try to get back as much time as possible. Maybe Landis figured he only needed to worry about Lance, and under-estimated Levi and Tom. Who knows?

I do agree that Lance is pacing himself to try to peak for the TdayF.

93legendti
04-23-2005, 10:22 PM
http://www.velonews.com/race/dom/articles/7923.0.html

"On a day of high drama, riveting plot twists and an outcome that was literally undecided until the last second, the most telling moment may well have come during the ascent of the category 1 Hogpen Gap climb, 96 miles into stage 5 of the Dodge Tour de Georgia. It was there that the world's most famous bike racer went to the front of a four-rider break and started hammering away for one of his teammates, American Tom Danielson."

kestrel
04-23-2005, 10:47 PM
I was at a KOM today in the cold and flurries. Lance led the small group from the first point they came into sight. He looked focused and comfortable as he powered through the top and zipped up for the decent. A bit of sweat on his face, but very much in control of the group of climbers and GC contenders. I have heard the doubts about his motivation, but he certainly looked on schedule for July at 4:19 PM on April the 23rd at the top of Hogpen Gap in Ga. :beer:

I can supply documents from my wife, children, mother, priest, cleaning lady, wino on the corner, Larry King, Billy Jean King, Sky King, Don King, and King Kong that I am honest and would never cheat anyone in an electronic purchase. As if anyone gives a crap!

Climb01742
04-24-2005, 05:23 AM
kestrel, judging by the weather reports, you are a hardy soul to have spectated yesterday. thanks for the first hand info. hope you've thawed out by now. :beer:

93legendti
04-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Here's Lance when he found out his teammate had the leader's jersey. Class.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/apr05/georgia05/?id=georgia055/JD05tdgstg5028

kestrel
04-24-2005, 05:13 PM
kestrel, judging by the weather reports, you are a hardy soul to have spectated yesterday. thanks for the first hand info. hope you've thawed out by now. :beer:

Climb1742, We actually did a very nice, but cold, ride down Hogpen Gap, over to Cleveland, Ga. and back to the top of Hogpen. Once We got changed and warmed up in the truck for awhile, it was fun to socialize with the monster crowd near our truck at the KOM. I would most happily suggest it for everyone here at serotta.com next year. Actually had as much fun at Hogpen Gap as we used to have on similar climbs in the Tour DuPont, and Tour de Trump.