PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Paint

Needs Help
04-23-2005, 04:34 PM
I was playing around with the Serotta paint simulator, and I noticed that all the paint schemes that used to be free are now an upcharge, e.g. 3/4 paint-1/4 ti. The upcharge for the Race paint scheme seems especially excessive. The Race scheme does not appear to be that much different than 1/2 paint-1/2 ti, which used to be free, but now according to the Paint simulator, if you were to get the Race scheme with two specialty colors, it would be a $900 upcharge. What would Joe Bell charge for that? Tom Kellogg?

Kevin
04-23-2005, 07:45 PM
Needs Help,

Which frame are you getting painted?

Kevin

victoryfactory
04-24-2005, 09:39 AM
Needs Help;

There may be a little confusion on this subject.
Certain models come with certain paint schemes at no up charge,
such as a new Concours can get 3/4 paint, no upcharge
and a new Legend can have 1/2 paint 1/2 Ti at no upcharge.

This is one way Serotta uses to separate their models.

I think refinishing paint prices are another matter.

VF

mike p
04-24-2005, 09:44 AM
I just got a bike back from JB and couldn't be more pleased. I can't see anyone doing a better job than Joe. Before I gave joe a call I called serotta as it was a CRL. They told me they couldn't do the job I wanted (huffy paint scheme). I said that I've seen the paint job on their forum. They seemed surprised by that but said they didn't do it anymore. Called Joe and he said no problem. Joe is by no means cheap or fast (he does a lot of bikes) but he is very competent and was tuned in to my concerns. Also job was not bad price wise compared to serotta who seem outrageous. Give JB a call, I wouldn't think twice about having him paint another for me.

Mike P

700 x 23c
04-24-2005, 10:15 AM
Voiding Of Warranty

This warranty will be void if any alterations or modifications, including the application of paint, are made by anyone to the product without express written authorization of Serotta.

dirtdigger88
04-24-2005, 10:34 AM
Voiding Of Warranty

This warranty will be void if any alterations or modifications, including the application of paint, are made by anyone to the product without express written authorization of Serotta.

unless you are a member of the owners group this is a moot point I would expect- also I would bet that if you spoke to Serotta they would have no issue with a warranty after a JB paint job-

Jason

Steve800
04-24-2005, 10:44 AM
unless you are a member of the owners group this is a moot point I would expect- also I would bet that if you spoke to Serotta they would have no issue with a warranty after a JB paint job-

Jason

JB's paint jobs are way better then Serotta. No comparison in my opinion.

BumbleBeeDave
04-24-2005, 10:50 AM
<<They seemed surprised by that but said they didn't do it anymore.>>

I thought they would do ANYTHING--well, virtually anything--if you waved enough bills in their face? Has this service policy changed? It seems totally out of sync with their much-advertised “custom bike” philosophy. Or does the “consent” clause merely mean they have a list of “approved” painters--probably including JB--who they will send you to who don’t void the warranty? Perhaps Serotta James can explain further? . . .

BTW, I was down in Woodstock yesterday and stopped by Overlook Mountain Bikes, where they had several truly beautifully painted frames from “Vicious Cycles” in New Paltz(?) They also had a binder with many other illustrated custom jobs and owner told me Vicious does all of Seven’s custom paint jobs now. There were several in the binder and they were HOT, including a scheme in B+W with MC Escher theme of geese blending from one color to the other.

BBDave

victoryfactory
04-24-2005, 01:38 PM
BBDave said:
"I thought they would do ANYTHING--well, virtually anything--if you waved enough bills in their face?"

You can say that again! I recently asked if they could make custom decals
for my repaint, (bright orange w/ black outline) The up-charge is $400.00!

VF, rethinking my paint scheme

Kevin
04-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Needs Help;

VF

Needs Help,

If you want our help you need to tell us which frame you are getting painted. Is it an old frame or a new frame? If it is an old frame, is it still under warranty?

Kevin

dirtdigger88
04-24-2005, 04:43 PM
JB's paint jobs are way better then Serotta. No comparison in my opinion.

that was the point that I didnt make very well- what are you losing with a JB paint job- if a weld is going to break (the only warranty issue I can think of) the JB paint job aint making a bit of difference

Jason

Needs Help
04-24-2005, 08:01 PM
Needs Help;

VF
If you look at the Serotta website, for the Concours model it says this:

Standard finishes:
# Titanium: Full Brushed Satin
# CS rear: Clear carbon weave
# Paint: Full paint (standard colors) with painted dropouts
# Decals: your choice of 12 decals

Optional finishes:
(a link to a list of pictures one of which is 3/4-1/4)

Then, if you go to the Paint simulator, for a Concours it has three choices for Included Finish Schemes:

Full Brushed Satin
Full paint
Upcharge Finishes

If you click on Upcharge Finishes, it lists 3/4 - 1/4 as one of the choices.

For a Legend, the website says this:

Standard Finishes
# Titanium: Hand-Polished or Matte titanium
# ST rear: Clear or tinted ST carbon fiber stay
# Paint: Full paint (standard colors) with polished dropouts
# Decals: Your choice of 12 decals

Optional Finishes
(a link to a list of pictures one of which is 1/2 - 1/2)

Then, if you go to the Paint simulator, for a Legend it has three choices for Included Finish Schemes:

Full Matte
Full Paint
Full Polish
Upcharge Finishes

If you click on Upcharge Finishes, 1/2-1/2 is listed. The upcharge for the Race scheme with specialty colors is $900. The upcharge for the Sizzler GS scheme with specialty colors is $1100.

Where are you getting your information from?

Joe is by no means cheap or fast (he does a lot of bikes) but he is very competent and was tuned in to my concerns.
Presumably, your price included stripping old paint? He's by no means cheap compared to $900(which does not involve any paint stripping)?

dbrk
04-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Over the last fifteen years Joe Bell has painted many, many bikes for me including several very fancy, particularly a Mercian with a barbershop poll and offset headtube as well as several Sachs with all sorts of fill-ins and windows, and two Bridgestones that have paint totally incommensurate with the original refinement of the build but nonetheless very nice bikes painted to perfection.

I have never, in all these years, even for the fanciest paint job, come near the $900 mark mentioned here. I have also owned many Serottas and, with all good intentions, I think it is unfair to compare the very nice work Serotta does to the brilliant and incomparable work of Joe Bell. Joe is the best, likely the best there has ever been and very few maintain that distinction.

dbrk

BumbleBeeDave
04-24-2005, 08:56 PM
. . . in July of 2001 and the custom fade with regular paint colors (yellow and black) was $165. Custom painting my name on the bike as well as a quote I wanted hand painted on the top tube came to $160. So that’s $325 for all my gewgaws . . .

So let me make sure I am understanding rightly here . . . if I am buying a Concourse and want paint, the only paint job that will NOT result in an upcharge is the WHOLE frame painted ONE standard color--”full paint“--or one of several “standard” schemes for THAT model. If I happen to want a scheme that is not “standard” for that model, then there’s an upcharge. If I want it done in non-standard colors that they have to mix custom, then there is ANOTHER upcharge. And lastly, if I want decals to match the custom paint colors, there is ANOTHER upcharge. Is that right? So if I want TWO custom colors ($900) and also the custom decals ($400) that’s THIRTEEN HUNDRED dollars extra for the finish I want.

It seems pretty obvious that these prices are in reality designed as a DIS-incentive to potential buyers to get TOO “custom” in their requests, which would slow down production in the paint shop. From a marketing standpointm, though, this still allows advertising claims to be made that “anything” custom can be painted. I believe the quote in the 2001 catalog I had was “anything from flames to fish scales.” But from a production standpoint it keeps demand low and production flowing smoothly.

Is $1300 for a total custom job excessive? Sure--for most people. But this is an upscale company with an upscale customer demographic. They will still have plenty of customers willing and able to pay those kinds of prices. After all, this ain’t Trek, folks . . . But from my point of view, buying now instead of then I would probably buy an unfinished frame and send it to any one of several custom paint shops for a custom job that would knock everyone’s socks off--AND cost considerably less than $1300.

BBDave

Tom
04-25-2005, 05:19 AM
I'm in a bad mood this morning and this post is going to reflect that so if you don't want to deal with it move on to the next one. Apology over. You've been warned.

Think about this angle. You buy a Serotta because you want to ride a really great bike. A standard color works for you. Why should you subsidize the guy that wants something that costs Serotta more money to do? Serotta's policy is really very fair. You pay for what you get. Perhaps you pay a lot, but you're not paying for what the other guy is doing. It just blows me away that people can never see what's being given them, only what they think is being taken.

This isn't a fawning defense of All Things Serotta. It's a swipe at all things of the culture I live in.

If you want to buy a bike more to look at or impress others than for what it is, go for it. Be willing to pay for it and stop moaning.

I ____ my bike to ____ my bike. What's in your blanks?

victoryfactory
04-25-2005, 07:39 AM
Needs Help:

Sorry, I guess I am the one who is confused,
But I think that those paint schemes were included on new frames up till about a year or two ago. They must have changed the rules.

VF

Serotta PETE
04-25-2005, 09:00 AM
Up Charges have been around for at least 4 years that I know of.

I do know that there have been changes in regard to carbon fork painting and t painted the past 2 or 3 years, but I attributed this to some folks wanting it and some not wanting.