PDA

View Full Version : Professional riders

spartacus
10-11-2010, 06:37 AM
I've often wondered, when professional riders are winter training out of sight of the public and the media lens do they still slavishly use the same equipment they are contracted to use when racing (frames, bike components, clothes, glasses, shoes, helmets et.c.), or do they use what they personally prefer?

Sparts.

crownjewelwl
10-11-2010, 07:45 AM
Not sure if this counts, but I did a charity ride that Magnus also rode. The first year after he had just retired, he was still riding his team issued Felt with Zipps. The next year he was rocking an Indy Fab XS with aluminum clinchers!

Dude
10-11-2010, 07:45 AM
Yep, they use everything they have to. Even mountain bikes. They will always be in a team kit.

Sponsors get pissed when they aren't getting their dollars worth. Also, pros are never far away from the spying eye of a camera lens or a fans camera phone.

old fat man
10-11-2010, 07:49 AM
plus, the guys on pro tour level are getting their gear for free. seeing as how most are not making it rich by racing, i am willing to bet the free equipment is used in favor of buying their own. one exception might be shoes.

guys like magnus are great candidates for a "free" IF after they retire and start doing charity rides. great publicity for IF.

xjoex
10-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Levi has his famous disc brake equipped commuter, that is not a Trek:
http://commutebybike.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/levi-rain-bike.jpg

-Joe

spartacus
10-11-2010, 09:11 AM

-Joe
Is that a Calfee?

fiamme red
10-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Levi has his famous disc brake equipped commuter, that is not a TrekHe also rides a Landshark (http://www.landsharkbicycles.com/Gallery/Leipheimer.html).

fiamme red
10-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Landis' Pegoretti:

http://bp0.blogger.com/_xX3hgPBOgag/RbLHOxvlZcI/AAAAAAAAADg/3kZtOfVSQ0Q/s1600-h/DSCF0727.JPG

GregL
10-11-2010, 10:42 AM
http://cyclinginquisition.blogspot.com/2010/02/homage-to-beater-bike-rain-bike.html

-Greg

benb
10-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Plenty of these guys don't make enough to afford cycling if they weren't getting free equipment from sponsors.. so that factors into it.

denapista
10-11-2010, 11:20 AM
If I were a pro, I'd ride my sponsors equipment. I guess in that light, I'd have to choose a sponsor who I was really into. I'd have to ride for someone I was really into, and I'd be proud to do my training on their equipment.

Dave B
10-11-2010, 11:30 AM
If I was a sponsored pro rider I would ride whatever was given to me. I would play by the rules, be happy about it, say what a great bike _______ was and go on and on about amazing it is to work with __________ and their technology.

I would be a consumate team player and hoped that was recognized and my arse would be signed for another year.

When I was done riding professionalyl I would sell the crap they gave me and buy what I wanted with it unless the bikes I had been given were truly great stuff.

CPP
10-11-2010, 11:46 AM
If I was a sponsored pro rider I would ride whatever was given to me. I would play by the rules, be happy about it, say what a great bike _______ was and go on and on about amazing it is to work with __________ and their technology.

I would be a consumate team player and hoped that was recognized and my arse would be signed for another year.

When I was done riding professionalyl I would sell the crap they gave me and buy what I wanted with it unless the bikes I had been given were truly great stuff.

What was your favorite bike????

Dave B
10-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Anything Here.

www.ifbikes.com

If they sponsored me, I wouldn't ever sell my team bike!

That is the entire point of this too.

www.jifcracing.blogspot.com

AFS
10-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Is that a Calfee?

It's a Land Shark.
http://www.landsharkbicycles.com/procarbon_tech.html

spartacus
10-11-2010, 01:07 PM
It's a Land Shark.
http://www.landsharkbicycles.com/procarbon_tech.html

A Land Shark? I've seen the name but never really looked too closely at the product.

Does Levi choose this brand freely and actually pay Land Shark for the frame as if he were merely one of us mortal consumers, or is there a commercial angle do we think?

I wonder what Levi thinks are the benefits of front AND rear disc braking? Front I get, but rear...I've always thought it didn't really add that much additional stopping force. What do I know though :rolleyes:

Dave B
10-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Well mtbing you want to lock that rear wheel up every now and again. it will help you stop! :D

learlove
10-11-2010, 05:13 PM
looks like Issac Howe won't be training on his bike this winter

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jack-Kane-54cm-Mountain-Khakis-Professional-Team-Bike-/190455086865?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item2c5801ff11

BengeBoy
10-11-2010, 06:19 PM
A Land Shark? I've seen the name but never really looked too closely at the product.

If you paint "Huffy" on the side of a Land Shark and hire a good enough rider, they do really well in the snow.

http://www.belgiumkneewarmers.com/2008/03/andy-hampstens-land-shark.html

Jason E
10-11-2010, 08:10 PM
If you paint "Huffy" on the side of a Land Shark and hire a good enough rider, they do really well in the snow.

http://www.belgiumkneewarmers.com/2008/03/andy-hampstens-land-shark.html

That's funny... :)

Charles M
10-11-2010, 10:30 PM
With damn few exceptions (that get replayed as if they were more than a one or two time shot), no, protour riders virtually never ride anything other than team issue. (levi included).

team guys dont even bother trying because the gear provided is excellent.

over the past few years and seeing a LOT of protour guys here in AZ and in SanDiego (pretty big crowd there every year) in winter, the guys are on team issue virtually 100% of the time.

jblande
10-11-2010, 10:36 PM
see a lot of german and swiss pro riders where i live: always on the bikes their sponsor's bikes.

avalonracing
10-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Hell, I ran an amateur team and I STRONGLY encouraged my team members to wear their kits and use sponsors equipment whenever they were riding. If I were running a pro team there wouldn't be an option.

Sponsors pay for that stuff and they want eyes on their logos and equipment and they can always use feedback on equipment in use.

oldpotatoe
10-12-2010, 07:54 AM
If I were a pro, I'd ride my sponsors equipment. I guess in that light, I'd have to choose a sponsor who I was really into. I'd have to ride for someone I was really into, and I'd be proud to do my training on their equipment.

Except unless you are the 'big dog' on the team, you have little to no say in equipment choices since it is mostly about $, not what the stuff does or doesn't do. "Being into' a sponsor doesn't really enter into it for the most part, as a new pro, you are just happy to have a job.

Dave B
10-12-2010, 08:13 AM
It also isn't like pro tour stuff is that shabby. sure maybe not full on custom tuned geometry like they used to, but still decent stuff. I seriously doubt most pros are left wanting.

BillG
10-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Also why would you want to ride one bike, get used to it, and then race on another?

Hell, I ran an amateur team and I STRONGLY encouraged my team members to wear their kits and use sponsors equipment whenever they were riding. If I were running a pro team there wouldn't be an option.

Sponsors pay for that stuff and they want eyes on their logos and equipment and they can always use feedback on equipment in use.

rice rocket
10-12-2010, 08:42 AM
I guess in that light, I'd have to choose a sponsor who I was really into. I'd have to ride for someone I was really into, and I'd be proud to do my training on their equipment.
I bet you wouldn't. You do what the team tells you to do. And if the sponsors change, you change.

dancinkozmo
10-12-2010, 08:44 AM
With damn few exceptions (that get replayed as if they were more than a one or two time shot), no, protour riders virtually never ride anything other than team issue. (levi included).

team guys dont even bother trying because the gear provided is excellent.

over the past few years and seeing a LOT of protour guys here in AZ and in SanDiego (pretty big crowd there every year) in winter, the guys are on team issue virtually 100% of the time.

what about retired riders who still ride and can pick up whatever they like ?

Kevan
10-12-2010, 08:47 AM
my sponsor doesn't care one hoot what I ride as long as the lunches get delivered on time.

Dave B
10-12-2010, 08:48 AM
what about retired riders who still ride and can pick up whatever they like ?

My guess is that pro riders worry a lot less about the bike and more about fitting the bike.
I am sure they are used to riding big box carbon creations and if they get the fit down they are fine continuing to ride their free $6K+ bike.

Sure I bet a few of them go after something unique, but free is free and while most aren't one offs, they still ride well.

Idris Icabod
10-12-2010, 10:50 AM

-Joe

Where the heck is Levi commuting to in the winter, I would have thought he would commute to his garage to pick up his Trek and begin a hard day on a bike, if this is not the life of a pro then I must assume he picks up temporary work in some cube farm doing data entry! If anyone knows him, I have an intern position open that I would be interested in him applying for, no promises however but I would definitely give his resume serious consideration.

TAW
10-12-2010, 11:11 AM

TAW
10-12-2010, 11:12 AM
After seeing me race, our sponsors asked me NOT to ride their stuff. :D

Charles M
10-12-2010, 11:51 AM
virtually all pro riders stopped using anything else but stock right about the time the internet went big...

The internet killed a lot of it (like Levi rides X, when Levi might have had X but used it very little at one time and or not at all) as the world went from a couple of journalists covering cycling to 1.8million bloggers and web heads all looking for that little scoop (non standard part)...

Used to be lots of bikes were rebadged. Now almost nothing is. only a couple of carbon guys can pull off tube shapes to make custom copies to rebadge and frankly, bike manufacturers have started to offer different geometry in a few models to suite a huge range of sizes so that riders can find what they want (actually it's so customers can find what they want too).

cody.wms
10-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Used to be lots of bikes were rebadged. Now almost nothing is.

remember when Rebellin won all those classics on a "Wilier" which was a re-painted Scott CR-1)? It makes sponsors do stupid stuff like put out press-releases that say:

"Rebellin has won the Amstel Gold Race using a "Team" full carbon frame that won't appear in the trade until next September and that will be presented in the upcoming trade fairs. With its 920 grams weight, the frame is the lightest in the professional scene today."

which then lets the company that originally made the effing frame say stuff like this:

"Rebellin indeed uses the lightest frame in the pro peloton. The Scott CR1 size 56cm weighs 895g and is available today around the world via Scott and its distributors."
(source: http://pages.citebite.com/i1x5r1w1n4nsh)

Charles M
10-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Yep, and I remember the day I was talking to Scott at Scott and they just sent the "stop it" letter. Scott let em run a couple adds, but finally said "enough"...

About the only guys still making much for other folks are Cyfac. They can make custom shaped tubes prett easily and with that, unless someone pulls out a tape measure, there's virtually no chance of catching it... at days end, I like that. I would rather have guys riding what suites them without the public or media making a fuss as if one companies bike is better than the other (or worse) when its almost always just a fit thing.

rwsaunders
10-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Andy H's Moots...no comment from the stem police as I'm sure he kicks all arse that comes his way.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/pro-bike-andy-hampstens-cycles-strada-bianca-ti-16577

cody.wms
10-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Hey Pez,

Do you know the story behind Boonen's aluminum Specialized from a couple years back? I heard Pegoretti was the builder, but never saw anything confirming it.

flickwet
10-13-2010, 08:32 AM
It would be cool to have a "stickey" thread of famous "mules", rebadged customs like the early Serotta and Land Shark "Huffys", etc

0nelove
10-13-2010, 10:36 PM
A fairly large "pro" conglomerate here in San Diego...most if not all ride their team issue stuff. For one, there's the sponsorship issue, but for two, they're not rich and free stuff is free stuff. Mostly you'll see them not having matching socks, jackets, arm warmers or things like that.

dd74
10-14-2010, 02:21 AM
Except unless you are the 'big dog' on the team, you have little to no say in equipment choices since it is mostly about $,...
Really? I would think there's more pressure on the 'big dog' to use team-issue equipment, simply because he (or she) is the big dog, and because of that, more scrutinized than others on the team.

cody.wms
10-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Really? I would think there's more pressure on the 'big dog' to use team-issue equipment, simply because he (or she) is the big dog, and because of that, more scrutinized than others on the team.

Well, when the star isn't happy, it usually means the product gets designed around them. Trek did this with Lance, and others have their own molds (Boonen's post-2007 Specialized, Pozzato's Ridley..).

So yes, you are right in that there is more pressure for them to use what the sponsors want, but when it comes down to it, if it doesn't work for them they'll find someway to make it work. Even if it takes a ton of money.

The only time I can recall seeing a domestique on something special (in the past couple of years, the carbon era if you will) is the super tall dude that was on Astana' aluminum bike. They made him one since he was too tall for any of the Madones.

No doubt there are exceptions. As Pez noted, Cyfac can do alot with tube shapes, etc.

torquer
10-14-2010, 03:38 PM
The only time I can recall seeing a domestique on something special (in the past couple of years, the carbon era if you will) is the super tall dude that was on Astana' aluminum bike. They made him one since he was too tall for any of the Madones.
Gregory Rast

Chris
10-14-2010, 07:55 PM
It would be cool to have a "stickey" thread of famous "mules", rebadged customs like the early Serotta and Land Shark "Huffys", etc

Don't forget that the '96 Olympic Road Race was won on a ti Serotta rebadged as a Coppi.