PDA

View Full Version : OT: Any members in the D.C. area ?

Blastinbob
04-23-2005, 02:28 PM
My sons girlfriend is going to Georgetown U.to get her masters degree in business this coming fall and she needs to find a place to rent for 2 years. Since she's paying for everything herself and her grant will only cover $1000 a month for rent, she will most likely be limited to a studio or a room for rent. Do you folks that know the area have any suggestions on nice areas where to look or possibly have a spare room for rent to help her out ?

email me @ blastinbob@aol.com

Smiley
04-23-2005, 04:34 PM
she will need to be walking distance to campus , GT did not vote to have a subway stop and traffic in the DC area is a ***** . She should start looking for places to rent in and around the GT area NOW . Once all the kids come back in the fall its all gone . The burbs are not a good idea although much cheaper . A room to rent close to campus may blow her allowance . Try contacting some rental building land lords around the area not the modern full ammenity apartment buildings . Call me if you need any help , send me an e-mail first . Good luck .

jasflyfisher
04-24-2005, 06:30 AM
In addition to Smiley's great suggestions I would add a couple more things to consider.

I'd suggest that she not bring a car if she chooses to live in GT as parking might cost half as much her apt. She may have already checked here, but if not it could be a good place to start: http://www.georgetown.edu/home/housing.html. Also, she might want to see if there is a listserv or board similar to this where she could post her need (the Bschool probably has their own - her advisor/admissions should be able to get her this info) - she may be able to sublet something for a few months and if she likes everything she could probably continue on with her own lease.

Lastly, I work at one of the other area schools that isn't especially convenient to metro and we have dedicated shuttle buses that run to the nearest metro stop at least every 30 min. I'd be very surprised if GT doesn't have a similar setup. If she makes her mind up to go this route, it really isn't that difficult.

Best of luck to her in school and in finding a place.

John

djg
04-24-2005, 10:17 AM
Just to follow-up on me e-mail and jayflyfisher's post, Georgetown does indeed have a shuttle that hits various metro stations and both sides of the river. Here's the link: http://otm.georgetown.edu/guts.cfm (routes and such are posted and it may be helpful to her to have these in hand as she looks for housing).

Parking in Georgetown is, as others have pointed out, something of a nightmare.

Some folks ... ride bikes.

Blastinbob
04-24-2005, 05:45 PM
Many thanks to everyone for the information, i'm sure it will be helpful to her.

flydhest
04-25-2005, 07:49 AM
If walking distance isn't a requirement, my neighborhood has a board like this one with a section on housing. It's a great, funky neighborhood, near the Park and easy access to Georgetown by car through the Park.

http://www.mtpleasantdc.org/forum/index.php?sid=e6c5987b210bdb7cb01dda519996bafc

Smiley
04-25-2005, 07:55 AM
contact Fly for a room to rent :banana: