PDA

View Full Version : 2011 ergo shifters

burdturglar
10-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Hi

I am a bit clueless about the ability of the 2011 veloce shifters to trim at the front derailleur. The new "powershift" mechanism seems to be a return to escape - as you can only downshift one gear at a time. Does this indicate the levers won't trim at the front?

However, the campag website states that they have "front derailleur micro-adjustment possibility". Anyone have any idea what this means and whether the escape system makes them effectively untrimmable?

Dave
10-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Just from looking at the powershift mechanism in the spare parts PDF, the function should be much like the old escape mechainsm. For me, the lack of multiple shifts from the right shifter is a much bigger deal, particularly for those who use a compact crank and often need a 3-4 cog shift after shifting to the little ring.

I believe that the old escape mechanism could make trim movements of the FD to the right, with the finger lever (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and that may be all that's needed. The current 11 speed FD can be setup such that it only needs trim clicks to the right, from the finger lever. When you're in the big ring, it's possible to use all but the big/big and not get chain rub. With that setup, one click of the ultrashift thumb button just creates chain rub and serves no purpose. All you need are a couple of clicks to the right, in order to stop some chain rub if the small ring and smallest 2-3 cogs are used. There's no reason that 10 speed can't do the same.

Pete Serotta
10-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks DAVE :beer: :beer: PETE

burdturglar
10-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks Dave. I want to use the levers with a 'shimergo' setup (ie with a shimano 8/9spd drive train - 8spd shimano coincidently has the same cable pull at the rear as capag 10spd). However, since the cable pull is different for shimano front mechs, they require a non indexed campag left shifter. I know this setup works with the ultrashift mechanism (but not well with quickshift/escape due to the small number of detentes and consequently limited trimming ability). Do you have any opinion on whether using the powershift levers would be a definite no no in this regard?

FlashUNC
10-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Dave hit the nail on the head. I've got a pair of the old 10-spd style Veloce escape shifters, and that's how they work.

It effectively only gives you trim from the small ring, not the big ring, since you can only really adjust the FD with the finger shifter, rather than the thumb.

oldpotatoe
10-11-2010, 07:38 AM
Hi

I am a bit clueless about the ability of the 2011 veloce shifters to trim at the front derailleur. The new "powershift" mechanism seems to be a return to escape - as you can only downshift one gear at a time. Does this indicate the levers won't trim at the front?

However, the campag website states that they have "front derailleur micro-adjustment possibility". Anyone have any idea what this means and whether the escape system makes them effectively untrimmable?

I played with the Athena LH lever at Interbike and I think I remember more than a few clicks but I honestly don't remember. I'm going to put aluminum Athena on a floor demo bike, I'll let ya know.

Ralph
10-11-2010, 08:56 AM
I never have to trim my 10 speed levers. If I wished, I can use 10 of 10 on big ring with no rub, and 9 of 10 on small ring with no rub. Why do you need trim on big ring? That's with Campy 10 speed chain, new version Centaur FD, and Centaur 10 39-52 crank.

nm87710
10-12-2010, 10:30 AM
2011 10speed shifters have 2 FD trim stops.

burdturglar
11-19-2010, 06:03 PM
In the end I ended up purchasing a set of microshift shifters. For anyone wanting to go the shimergo route with received this information from campagnolo mechanic.

"My guess re Shimano 8s x 2011 Veloce LH is no. I think you'll get chain scrape. It might be possible to minimise that by making up a shaped cable guide to tune the throw of the gear per incriment of cable recovered, and maybe by running a narrower chain (9s will run OK on most 8s systems).

It'll also depend on the rear centres length of the frame - the longer it is, the more likely you are to be able to get it to work, as the chain will have to span a narrower set of angles on a long rear triangle."

Dave
11-20-2010, 08:23 AM
2011 10speed shifters have 2 FD trim stops.

Two trim stop form where? With the escape shifters, just one touch of the thumb button drops the chain from the big ring onto the small ring. There are trim stops, but only from the small ring, to move the FD cage to the right. Are the powershift any different?

nm87710
11-20-2010, 02:32 PM
With the escape shifters, just one touch of the thumb button drops the chain from the big ring onto the small ring. There are trim stops, but only from the small ring, to move the FD cage to the right. Are the powershift any different?

2011 10 speed shifters(Veloce, Centaur, Athena):
2 trim stops up
1 trim stop down

Dave
11-20-2010, 02:59 PM
If there is a trim stop "down" (from the big ring) then you're saying that it either takes a longer push of the thumb button to drop to the big ring or two clicks?