PDA

View Full Version : FrameSaver?

97CSI
04-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Its raining here at the Jersey shore so am not taking my beautiful new CDA out until I shoot it inside with FrameSaver. Something to do while it rains. Anyone else use FrameSaver? Seems like cheap insurance to me.

Rapid Tourist
04-23-2005, 10:02 AM
I rcently applied framesaver to my new steel fixed gear frame, and while it is a mess, I think its cheap insurance. I did two light applications rather than one big application, and I think that's a little neater and more thorough. Make sure that either you do it outside, or you cover the entire area under where you are working with lots of newspaper. It tends to leak out and make a mess. Use generous wads of newspaper to plug the frame openings.

Sandy
04-23-2005, 10:04 AM
I would check with your dealer first. I think that they do that at the factory on steel frames. You should check, since it probably doesn't have to be done. If they don't do it at the factory, the lbs should.

With a checkered past,

Past Due Sandy

Sandy
04-23-2005, 10:07 AM
I am almost certain that Serotta uses Frame Saver or its equivalent. As I said, check with your lbs or Serotta.

Still Rusting,

Sandy

Sandy
04-23-2005, 10:17 AM
I hope that you didn't use any Frame Saver on Miss Molly. Dogs don't rust. However, they do trust. :)

Rusting and Trusting,

Simple Sandy

97CSI
04-23-2005, 10:28 AM
I watched (helped? - told him what to do and not do, of course :D ) as they swapped my Record group over from the Scapin to the CDA. The CDA did not appear to have any internal prep. I ask the shop owner, who was doing the swap, and he stated that he didn't worry about such things and had never see a rusted-out Serotta in his 30 years in the business. While I have an overall positive experience with Knapp's, I don't agree with Pete's assessment of internal treatment. Certainly much better than my local Serotta seller, who I will no longer deal with.

coylifut
04-23-2005, 10:40 AM
I just sold a steel bike that I only used in the rain with fenders for 3 seasons. No rust inside our out side the frame. I think it takes down right abuse to rust out a frame. With that said, a can a frame saver costs $12 or so. Just be prepared for the ugliness that runs out of it.

Sam in VA
04-23-2005, 08:52 PM
It is rather messy, but it cleans up easily with WD-40. Be careful on older bikes if the decals aren't clear-coated. The WD-40 could cause adhesion problems - I've never had any, but it could happen....