PDA

View Full Version : Kansas City Steak place?

dogdriver
10-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Hey all-- Long shot, but work takes me to Kansas City, Mo on Monday. I figure, when in Rome, eat some cow, so does anyone have a good steak place to recommend? Lunch or dinner-- I'm there all day and figure that I'll retire to the room for a Prime Midwest bovine-induced coma for the rest of the day...

Thanks, Chris

PS-- Hotel is at 200W 12th St...

chuckroast
10-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Not a long shot at all. There are several forumites that are in KC. What part of town are you staying in? It affects the recommendation.

ahumblecycler
10-09-2010, 07:52 PM
I live just a few miles north of the airport, and I would invite you on aride if I could ride ... next time perhaps. Like the previous poster stated, recommendation are best when a KC person knows where you will be staying. Also, will you have a rental vehicle?

By the way, KC is best known for their BBQ in the event you are interested in eating like a Roman in KC :)

bike22
10-09-2010, 08:20 PM
bbq in k.c.

godfrey1112000
10-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Sullivan's in Leawood will do the job, great steaks and food, excellent wine list
and if you go there on thursdays women drink for $5 in the bar, it is something to see,

Capitol Grill is great

Herford House is the local and they are great also

Bar-b-que

Burnt ends and Short Ribs L.C's

Aurthur Bryant's a standard

Gate's is great for Beef Brisket and Ham Combos, when you walk in the door they will yell for your order, make sure your yell back

Donny Edwards, seen on the travel channel

Oh yeah I will be riding every day at 1130 until 3pm if you want to do 55+

have fun

dogdriver
10-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Oops-- it down town I guess-- 200 W 12th St...

rugbysecondrow
10-09-2010, 08:50 PM
I have eaten at the capital grill...great steak and also a lobster macaroni and lobster bisque. I normally stay on the plaza when I stay there (Intercontinental or Rafael).

Enjoy

Ken Robb
10-09-2010, 09:20 PM
I have to say that every city has a good steak place (or twenty good steak places). You can burn a great steak at home. Bryant's BBQ is world famous. I know locals have other favorites they swear are better. I would have to try Bryant's and one or two contenders to see for myself. Real BBQ takes skill, time, and equipment that I just don't have so I wouldn't waste this gustatory opportunity on a steak because I can do those as well or better at home.

chuckroast
10-09-2010, 09:25 PM
OK, if you are downtown, I'd recommend the Savoy Grill:

http://www.savoygrill.net/index.html

or Pierpont's at Union Station:

http://www.herefordhouse.com/content/pierponts2.php

If you have a car, you could also head a few miles south to the Country Club Plaza and dine at Plaza III (which is my personal favorite):

http://www.plazaiiikcsteakhouse.com/

dogdriver
10-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Gotta love advice from the locals! Bryant's for lunch BBQ(looks like its an easy walk from the hotel) it is, dinner TBD. Thanks, Ken, Godfrey, and all.

Yours meat products, Chris

chuckroast
10-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Bryant's is great and I like it better than Gates but I wouldn't recommend walking there from the Marriott. It's farther than you think and not in a great part of town. Take a cab.

pitcrew
10-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Make sure to ask for the Clenbuterol free cut ;)

jmeloy
10-10-2010, 12:04 AM
the plaza 3 recommendation for a steak (plaza). Personal favorite for BBQ is Oklahoma Joe's and no, DO NOT walk to Gates.

BengeBoy
10-10-2010, 02:37 AM
I agrew up and went to college in the area, and when I am visiting I make a bee line for Arthur Bryant's.

If I'm in town 2 days, I eat at Arthur Bryant's twice.

I bring a bottle of the sauce home, as well.

That's pretty much the extent of my knowledge on the Kansas City dining scene, though my friends tell me I should expand my horizons at some point.

Ozz
10-10-2010, 09:12 AM
... Real BBQ takes skill, time, and equipment that I just don't have so I wouldn't waste this gustatory opportunity on a steak because I can do those as well or better at home.
+100

If I were in KC, BBQ is what I would search for....agreed that best steaks are the ones done at home. Nevermind that for the $75 you spend putting together a steak dinner and (nice) wine at home, it would cost you $200+ are a nice steak house (Mortons, Ruth's Chris, etc...).

Cheers.

dogdriver
10-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks, guys! We just returned from Gates BBQ (it was raining and that's where the bus went) where we split a "slab" of ribs and a "burnt end" BBQ sandwich. Bryant's or Jack Stack's next time. I now descend into my pork and cow- induced food coma, feeling much like a python that just consumed an entire gazelle. Sprouts and carrots for the next few days to recover...

Best, Chris

PacNW2Ford
10-11-2010, 10:58 PM
I know that feeling, tried to consume a Jack's Platter at Stack's (half rack, burnt ends and a hunk of prime rib) along with a Double Wide IPA. Next time, I'll try a little moderation...

rugbysecondrow
10-12-2010, 05:27 AM
Next time, I'll try a little moderation...

Let me know what this is like for you, new concept for me :)