PDA

View Full Version : Training with Power Meter....

oldguy00
10-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Well, I just dropped a stupid amount of $$ (for me) on a wheelset with a Powertap. I'm planning to use it for the winter. I have no experience with this stuff, and no good coaches around for this sort of thing.
Can anyone recommend an easy to understand book that would be good to follow for this type of training?

allegretto
10-09-2010, 05:20 PM
"Training and Racing with a Power Meter".. Hunter Allen and Andrew Coggan

pretty much the first and last word

a good coach, even online is very helpful. mine has been very very good and helps a lot

got my first meter and since put another on my Moots. I don't ride without considering power. Makes it even more fun

but that's me, others no doubt feel differently

T.J.
10-09-2010, 05:57 PM
If you can swing the cash, get a coach. Even though you may be able to figure out a plan etc , having to download your files and send them in holds you accountable. Paying for the coaching is also a motivation to bust your hump and do the work. If you want some contact info on a good coach pm me.

Bob Loblaw
10-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Friel's book, "The Cyclist's Training Bible" is a popular one.

BL

rockdude
10-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Without a set plan or coach its just a $1k toy.....

false_Aest
10-10-2010, 01:22 AM
"Training and Racing with a Power Meter".. Hunter Allen and Andrew Coggan

read it 3x.

Then go buy http://velopress.com/cycling.php?id=48

I'm not a fan of the Friel stuff . . . it's at once too complicated and too simple.

Start scouring the Training sectino of Weight Weenies. Lots of good info there.

oldguy00
10-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Thanks all, I think I have a buddy with that book, so will be giving it a read.
Cheers

Bruce K
10-10-2010, 07:25 AM
Good luck.

Our Masters (read - old guys) team has a coach who has us all on Power Taps and it has made a big difference for all of us.

BK

Pete Serotta
10-10-2010, 07:30 AM
HE could definitely assist you in Phase 1....HE has become very strong over the past couple of years.... :bike:

Good luck.

Our Masters (read - old guys) team has a coach who has us all on Power Taps and it has made a big difference for all of us.

BK

stephenmarklay
10-10-2010, 07:54 AM
I am waiting the the Garmin vector to come out. I hope that it is out in the next couple of months. I trained with a coach and HR from Novemeber to April and had good results.

I have the newest addition of racing and training with power as well as the knowledge from last year and hope that will guide me...

Good luck on it and update with your experiences

SpeedyChix
10-10-2010, 06:37 PM
It really helps accelerate your learning curve on using a power meter in your training to work with someone. You'll get to where you're training by power much quicker rather than training with power. As noted in earlier posts, if you can afford coaching services, do it. Working with a power meter makes remote coaching a reasonable alternative if you can't find anyone local.

Enjoy the ride!!
-Anne

oldguy00
10-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks. Aside from the book, I have emailed someone on Pete's advice, to hopefully get some coaching help.
Cheers

surfbikeswim
10-11-2010, 11:23 AM
especially if you do triathlons I found it better for me than the Allen/Coggan book. book (http://www.physfarm.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=ced9f4ce53cf2cf775b9903e841bfb92)

FWIW, I also prefer his software to WKO for triathlons as well.

Cheers
Ian